Room Acoustic Treatment kits-(FLOOR PLAN ADDED-WHICH ROOM?!)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fishmonkey

Re: Room Acoustic Treatment kits - Recommendations please

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:32 pm

mozzatron wrote: And does anyone have any tips for actually sound proofing the room? We recently had a baby so i want to be able to get a decent volume level without waking him (or the trouble & strife!)
short answer: you can't. isolation of sound requires a carefully built (and expensive) floating room within a room.

Reversoulmusic

Post by Reversoulmusic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:23 am

BASS TRAPS, BASS TRAPS & MORE BASS TRAPS!!!!!

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:48 am

fishmonkey wrote:
mozzatron wrote: And does anyone have any tips for actually sound proofing the room? We recently had a baby so i want to be able to get a decent volume level without waking him (or the trouble & strife!)
short answer: you can't. isolation of sound requires a carefully built (and expensive) floating room within a room.
Yeah i thought that would be the case for extreme sound isolation. The main issue would be noise escaping from the door to the studio room. I guess i could put a mattress up against it?

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:22 am

mozzatron wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
Yeah i thought that would be the case for extreme sound isolation. The main issue would be noise escaping from the door to the studio room. I guess i could put a mattress up against it?
The mattress won't do much except take up space. You're better off getting some 'Raven' Door seals... and sealing the door to stop any air (and sound) leaks... or find a room at the other end of the house.... or use headphones!

(ps... I too have a little one.:) )
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 am

... and also replacing the door with a heavier one if it's one of those cheap thin ones. but if the walls are thin then it probably won't make much difference anyway.

sound is very difficult to stop, especially the lower end.

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:19 am

Cheers i will check those Raven door stops out!

Hopefully the door is thick enough that i don't have to change it!

tintala

Post by tintala » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:27 pm

I like acoustimac and primacoustic.. they had a set for under 200$ that went into my 13x20 ft studio.. they do work great..
http://www.primacoustic.com/london8.htm

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:15 am

Cheers mate

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:42 am

Setup first. Often just a few absorbing foam panels on the walls are enough. But don't just throw a kit on everything before you set up. imho

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 am

yep, regardless of whether the room is good or bad, it makes total sense to try the room before adding anything.

speaker placement makes a big difference too.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:34 am

I was looking to kill the reflections in a 14x16ft space for the voice-overs i do. One thing that I found to work pretty well are the panels from those office cubicles. They are usually just insulation panels anyway and they are already covered in cloth. Look around and you can find old ones cheap from those companies that clean out old office buildings and what not. I found 10 of them for $100. They measure 5x6ft (about).

Good luck.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:20 am

Winterpark wrote: The mattress won't do much except take up space. You're better off getting some 'Raven' Door seals... and sealing the door to stop any air (and sound) leaks... or find a room at the other end of the house.... or use headphones!

(ps... I too have a little one.:) )
And don't mix loud. You tire out your ears and get a distorted picture of what you are doing anyway :)

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:23 am

Cheers guys

UncleAge - I'll definitely have a look out for those office partitions, it would be a similar material i guess, at a fraction of the cost!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:30 am

mozzatron wrote:Cheers guys

UncleAge - I'll definitely have a look out for those office partitions, it would be a similar material i guess, at a fraction of the cost!
just bear in mind that many materials will effectively absorb higher frequencies, but most don't do much at lower frequencies. you can easily turn a room into a really horrible boxy sounding space with lots of the wrong kind of absorbers...

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:14 am

Fair point

we move into the new place in a couple of weeks, so once i've tested the room as is i'll make some decisions

Thnaks again FM