Room Acoustic Treatment kits-(FLOOR PLAN ADDED-WHICH ROOM?!)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mozzatron

Re: Room Acoustic Treatment kits - Recommendations please

Post by mozzatron » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 am

I've just managed to find a floor plan of the house. So we have 3 bedrooms in the new place, and i get to choose which one i want to use for the studio

Just wondering if anyone has any comments based on the size/layout?

I was thinking that Bedroom 3 would be most suitable (my with speakers against the top wall/window to the right/wardrobe to the left). I thought the study was maybe a place to consider, but i think it would be a little cramped, and give me a weird sound?

Also, how much of the acoustic treatment kit would i need?

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

Winterpark

Re: Room Acoustic Treatment kits-(FLOOR PLAN ADDED-WHICH ROOM?!)

Post by Winterpark » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:46 am

FWIW, you should consider the room dimensions when you choose a space.

I can't remember exactly where I got these, but i did heaps of research when setting up my room, and apparently having room dimensions with these proportions have more 'ideal' room modes.

Height Width Length
1.00 1.14 1.39
1.00 1.28 1.54
1.00 1.60 2.33

Obviously, you're not going to be in a room with a height of 1 meter!, so basically, you work out the height of your ceiling, and then do the math (by multiplying that number by 1.14, 1.38 etc) to find out what the 'ideal' width and length should be in comparison to the height you have.

On top of that... i'd chose the room with the best light and view out the window ;)
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54 am

the study is way too small, you'd be mad to choose that room. as far as comparing room dimensions go, you can plug your dimensions (you do need the height too) into one of the online room mode calculators. these are some of the better ones i've seen:

http://amroc.andymel.eu/

http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm

http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/ro ... modes.html

the built-in robes will cause some sonic weirdness too. are they wooden doors or mirror ones?

btw, it is usually recommended to have your speakers firing down the longer dimension, especially in a small room.

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Cheers lads

Yeah the only reason i thought about the study is because of how much light it gets (I will also be using this room as an office through the day), but it's way too small.

All the wardrobes are wooden, not ideal but they are built in so no way around it unfortunately (And i need them!).

The reason why i chose bedroom 3 is because i make most of my music at night when the wife and kid is asleep, and as that room is disconnected from the other 2, i thought it would produce the least "noise pollution", and i would manage to keep a hold of my balls for slightly longer!

I will find out the ceiling height and check out those calculators.

Thanks again lads

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:25 pm

mozzatron wrote: The reason why i chose bedroom 3 is because i make most of my music at night when the wife and kid is asleep, and as that room is disconnected from the other 2, i thought it would produce the least "noise pollution", and i would manage to keep a hold of my balls for slightly longer!
bedroom 3 would be the one then! however all the doors are pretty close together... you got some nice headphones???

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:34 pm

I know, way too close! We actually submitted 2 applications for different houses, i preferred the other as the room i was going to use was at the other side of the house and would have been perfect, but my wife preferred this house and she obviously got what she wants (as is normally the case)

So the question you need to be asking is....does my wife have a good pair of ear plugs!!!

I have a decent pair of Senheisser HD 25. Good for DJing but they hurt my ears when producing, and they don't give a true representation of the sound. I always find that when i make a track with them, and listen the next day on my monitors (Event 20/20 Bas V3), it sounds very different. Certain sounds which i could hear clearly on the headphones are harder to pick up on the monitors

Any recommendations on a good pair? I'm actually due a new set, as these HD25's are dropping to pieces!