Room Acoustic Treatment kits-(FLOOR PLAN ADDED-WHICH ROOM?!)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mozzatron

Room Acoustic Treatment kits-(FLOOR PLAN ADDED-WHICH ROOM?!)

Post by mozzatron » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 am

Alright guys

We are moving into a new house next month and i have 3 rooms to choose from for my studio. I'm looking at getting it acoustically treated (nothing too expensive) and was hoping to get some recommendations on kits to look at. The only thing is, i can't do any drilling as the house is rented, and the kits i have seen so far include mounting brackets that need to be drilled into the wall.

What other options are there for installing these kits?

Cheers

EDIT:

I've just managed to find a floor plan of the house. So we have 3 bedrooms in the new place, and i get to choose which one i want to use for the studio

Just wondering if anyone has any comments based on the size/layout?

I was thinking that Bedroom 3 would be most suitable (my with speakers against the top wall/window to the right/wardrobe to the left). I thought the study was maybe a place to consider, but i think it would be a little cramped, and give me a weird sound?

Also, how much of the acoustic treatment kit would i need for a room this size??

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Last edited by mozzatron on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Re: Room Acoustic Treatment kits - Recommendations please

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:09 am

The cheaper foam kits from companies like Auralex can be mounted using T-Pins, which you can get at any sewing store, and most hardware stores. You can get away with two per panel, and they literally leave only pin holes that are simple to fill.

Not the greatest for low end taming, but better than nothing if you can't mount anything otherwise.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:12 am

how big are the rooms?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:18 am

Tarekith wrote:The cheaper foam kits from companies like Auralex can be mounted using T-Pins, which you can get at any sewing store, and most hardware stores. You can get away with two per panel, and they literally leave only pin holes that are simple to fill.

Or better yet, use a hot glue gun. You just stick 'em on the wall and when you peel them off, you might have a little pinhole i the back of the foam pad, and a little bit of dried glue you scrape off the wall.

I contacted a local audio foam company and asked if they had any reject stock / half orders. I got a lot of panels wh & for less than half price and got most of the reflections out of my room for a very small price. A lot of different colours, so one has to be OK with burgundy, navy blue and grey all mixed up. But it does the job :)

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:42 am

Cheers lads will look into those options.

Just waiting to hear back from the real estate agent on the dimensions of the rooms

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:58 am

the problem with most of the foam stuff is it is only really effective at dealing with higher frequencies, and the really big problems with smaller rooms tend to be in the low end.

another option is to stand the panels on legs, or on furniture in the room. i have my fiberglass panels (which are 3" thick) leaning against the walls and corners on a low shelf on one side, and my desk on the other.

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:29 am

Yeah i was looking at the fiberglass panels as they're alot more absorbent, but i could only find ones that needed to be drilled into the walls which isn't possible in a rented property.

esky

Post by esky » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:02 am

Wrong forum...:-)

Go here...http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-b ... acoustics/

Best place for all questions concerning room treatment ...

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:10 am

what's the deal with drilling in a rented space?
Can't you even hang pictures on the wall? :lol:
I don't know if it's a regional thing, but where I live (swizerland) you can drill all the holes you want in a rented flat, you just have to plaster the holes and repaint the walls when you leave the flat.

you can go away with 2 holes per panel for the 2 first reflection points on the side and mabye 4 for the cloud panel, basstraps can be just put on the floor.

here how i did it
i have a very bad sounding room so I had to put 3 panels each side, but depending on the room you could get away with just 2 side panels.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:58 am

Different story here in Sydney mate, the rental market is ruthless, learned that the hard/expensive way!

They're some seriously thick panels you've got there. What material is it? Is that something you knocked together yourself?
störgeräusche wrote:what's the deal with drilling in a rented space?
Can't you even hang pictures on the wall? :lol:
I don't know if it's a regional thing, but where I live (swizerland) you can drill all the holes you want in a rented flat, you just have to plaster the holes and repaint the walls when you leave the flat.

you can go away with 2 holes per panel for the 2 first reflection points on the side and mabye 4 for the cloud panel, basstraps can be just put on the floor.

here how i did it

i have a very bad sounding room so I had to put 3 panels each side, but depending on the room you could get away with just 2 side panels.

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:11 am

the basstraps on the floor are 20 cm thick, i did them myself with rockwool. cheap and effective! the blu-ish panels are a present from a previous studio neighbour (aro technlogies, made in australia by the way) and the not so good looking
yellow panel is also DYI made with some strange plastic fibre panels made in germany (caruso iso bowhich i bought from a mastering guy who used to have his room in the same building.
if you really cant drill you could build some stands for the panels like GIK acoustic is offering
and just put them near the walls.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:36 am

Yeah for sure, once i get the keys to the new place i'll get it all set up and let you know how i get on

Cheers mate

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:55 am

for bass traps, you can buy or build ones that just stack on top of each other in the corners, no drilling required. obviously that wont work if your door is in one of the corners.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

mozzatron

Post by mozzatron » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Yeah bass traps shouldn't be a problem.

And does anyone have any tips for actually sound proofing the room? We recently had a baby so i want to be able to get a decent volume level without waking him (or the trouble & strife!)

sounddevisor

Post by sounddevisor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:35 pm

esky wrote:Wrong forum...:-)

Go here...http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-b ... acoustics/

Best place for all questions concerning room treatment ...

Good suggestions, but I would say this is an even better source for questions on acoustics - treatment, soundproofing, etc.:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php