Is it 'wrong' to have loops starting in different positions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

Is it 'wrong' to have loops starting in different positions?

Post by Citizen » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:31 am

When I'm jamming, I have an incredibly consistent habit of creating parts that all gel and groove together perfectly, only to notice later that my bars for each 'start' in completely different positions relative to one another.

(ie. I get so caught up in what I'm doing, that I fail to realise that my 8 bar loop actually feels 'normal' - but what sounds like the 1st beat of the loop is on something odd, like the 2nd beat of the 4th bar)

It all sounds great, until you switch a clip on the fly in session mode :cry: - and something goes a quarter note out of sync, or whatever. :(

I know, of course, that you can adjust the start point of each loop. My problem is, that when I try to 'correct' everything by adjusting all the start points so that clips launch at the right point, I usually mess it up, and something goes out of whack, and I lose the original groove.

Whats the best solution here?

Is there a quick way to get everything to launch properly, and start on the right beat, without messing up the groove?

I spend waaaaaay too long retrospectively trying to fix this sort of thing. :roll:

SuburbanThug

Re: Is it 'wrong' to have loops starting in different positions?

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:33 am

As you are jamming record your session into arrangement view. Everything will be recorded lined up the way you played it. Then edit your pieces all together in Arrangement view before dragging them back to Session view. Am I missing something here?

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:27 pm

1. Use the metronome
2. Practice
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:06 am

SuburbanThug wrote:As you are jamming record your session into arrangement view. Everything will be recorded lined up the way you played it. Then edit your pieces all together in Arrangement view before dragging them back to Session view. Am I missing something here?
No - thats a brilliant idea. I simply hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

Also, if you have moved the start point of a loop to something other than 1.1.1 in session view, is there a way to sort of 're-crop' the loop, so that the new start point is shifted to 1.1.1 and all the midi notation slides accordingly?

(ie. I currently have an 8 bar loop that 'starts' at 1.2.1 - so the end of that loop is actually when the playhead goes past the end of the 8 bars, and back to the start on the far left. How do I easily adjust it so the last notes are at the right, instead of on the left?)

jaakked

Post by jaakked » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:31 am

What are you German?? :roll:

It's only wrong if you don't like the way it sounds.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Or if you're the only one that likes how it sounds...

jaakked

Post by jaakked » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 am

SuburbanThug wrote:Or if you're the only one that likes how it sounds...
Maybe you're German too :lol:

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 am

Also, if you have moved the start point of a loop to something other than 1.1.1 in session view, is there a way to sort of 're-crop' the loop, so that the new start point is shifted to 1.1.1 and all the midi notation slides accordingly?
Consolidating the clip in Arrangement should do that, I think...
ImageImage