Propellerheads running scared?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
computo

Propellerheads running scared?

Post by computo » Tue May 03, 2005 11:31 pm

So what is going on over there? they seem to be really dropping the ball...

First, they released the (quite frankly) completely unprepared upgrade for Reason...There are more holes in the new version than swiss cheese.

Now they seem to be screwing up their website, with bunk and misdirected links...not the propheads of 2 years ago.

So, I guess Im wondering if Live is giving them a run...If als files became standard, it would bump rex all the way into the dark ages, gotta love the non destructive nature of those als's.

but wtf with props....

smutek

Re: Propellerheads running scared?

Post by smutek » Tue May 03, 2005 11:42 pm

computo wrote:So what is going on over there? they seem to be really dropping the ball...

First, they released the (quite frankly) completely unprepared upgrade for Reason...There are more holes in the new version than swiss cheese.

Now they seem to be screwing up their website, with bunk and misdirected links...not the propheads of 2 years ago.

but wtf with props....
I don't think they are running scared.

It is a drag that the much anticipated version three has a load of bugs but I am sure they will get it all sorted out.

I don't think they are going anywhere, atleast I hope not. I like that company.

But, then again, I pretty much stopped using reason when I got into ableton and I did eventually sell my reason liscense as a result. And rex, I hadn't even opened recycle for atleast a year before I sold it. The only reason I let go of it was because I didn't use it and wanted to finance some other things - mainly operator and some of the taklebox stuff. I would have loved to have hung onto reason, I'm sure I would have gotten bac into it at some point; but I just don't have loot like that ya know?

But who am I right?

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Wed May 04, 2005 12:03 am

It's funny I have Reason 3.
I sequence it from Live via Rewire so I never touch the Reason sequencer.
And I must say Reason 3 is stable as houses on my PC.
CPU useage is mega tight.
The Combinator Rocks when rewiring and allows for alot more creativity with live.
The MClass - dynamics effects are superb.
The new FSB totally rocks.
It is actually no more or less buggy than the first release version of Live 4. (Which was totally useable this end also)
I honestly don't know what half of them are bitching about.
It is hardly cripple ware in any shape or form.
A whole bunch of prissies just got their nickers in a twist on the forums IMHO.
Obviously half of them don't use VST's / have never had a buggy HOST ( don't know how myself when half of them have fucking Logic 7 on Mac and they blame Props for rewire problems :roll: ) and expect to live in a world of never ending 100% bug free and totally cash free lifetime guaranteed Propellerhead upgrades 8O 8O 8O :lol: .
In other words the forum shits me and the fan boys are all busy having a fucking cry :roll: .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed May 04, 2005 12:06 am

FaX-01 wrote: In other words the forum shits me and the fan boys are all busy having a fucking cry :roll: .
crass, but entirely true.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed May 04, 2005 12:11 am

Sounds like the same old same old on the props forum. I enjoyed my stay over there though, decent lot of people for the most part if you ask me.

Even though I sold all of my liscenses I still enjoy access to the users forum, don't know if it was an oversite or if I've been accorded alumni stutus or something. Either way, from time to time I drop by there and lurk about reading the posts - never posting mind you as that would be in poor taste I think -

erm.... what was my point in all of this?

:?

I don't know, if I ever have the money I may buy reason again one day. I loved the app and it wasn't like I had outgrown it or something, far from it, I just liked working in Ableton more. But like I said, I think it is a good company, small, hard working and down to earth. They remind me a lot of Ableton. So yeah, I definitely wish them the best and I think it would be a great tragedy and loss to the music community if they were sucked up by Native or Stienberg or one of the other corporate monoliths.

computo

Post by computo » Wed May 04, 2005 1:18 am

well, I dont know about the prop forum, but the rest of what Fax 01 said is pretty off ciltter IMO.

Live 4 wasnt NEARLY as buggy as reason 3, especially if we're talking about working with files made in previous versions. I used 2.5 a lot, because it was stable, but almost all of the files I created in that version are useless now, because the key mappings are all fucked up, amongst all sorts of other crap.

There is no doubt that the concepts behind the new version are great, and the mastering suite is truly awesome. but the list of bugs for props new release eclipses lives bugs by a LONG shot. I was able to continue working with no issues when I updated Live.

Fax, you either havent been using reason long, or you arent familiar with the issues that arose from the new version. If it was overblown bitching by snobby users, do you really think they would have placed a notice on the front page of the prop website acknowledging tons of bugs and issues? Or is it good business to advertise customer complaints in lieu of endorsement quotes?

computo

Post by computo » Wed May 04, 2005 1:19 am

sorry, I dont want to sound pissy.

12micsn1

Post by 12micsn1 » Wed May 04, 2005 1:20 am

My rant of the day. I wish the whole Propellerhead's forum was redone. Its crap to me!!!

computo

Post by computo » Wed May 04, 2005 1:24 am

true

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Wed May 04, 2005 1:50 am

computo wrote:well, I dont know about the prop forum, but the rest of what Fax 01 said is pretty off ciltter IMO.

Live 4 wasnt NEARLY as buggy as reason 3, especially if we're talking about working with files made in previous versions. I used 2.5 a lot, because it was stable, but almost all of the files I created in that version are useless now, because the key mappings are all fucked up, amongst all sorts of other crap.

There is no doubt that the concepts behind the new version are great, and the mastering suite is truly awesome. but the list of bugs for props new release eclipses lives bugs by a LONG shot. I was able to continue working with no issues when I updated Live.

Fax, you either havent been using reason long, or you arent familiar with the issues that arose from the new version. If it was overblown bitching by snobby users, do you really think they would have placed a notice on the front page of the prop website acknowledging tons of bugs and issues? Or is it good business to advertise customer complaints in lieu of endorsement quotes?
I've never EVER used Reason's sequencer .
So for me their isn't much of an issue .
I know Reason well enough I might add.
For me Just being able to design my own Combi's and rewire them all individualy as Live tracks is more than enough.
I get variable tempo via host and mulitple timesignature options this way also.
Any 2.5 templates I had were all rewire templates anyway so NO I haven't had any issues.
I don't have any CPU issues with R3 either I might add.
And having cut my teeth on an Emu EII+ w/ Mac SE30 and Turbosynth + an Atari 520ST and Pro24 - I can in all honesty say I know more than enough about synthesis etc to know that Reason 3 is perfectly useable as is at the moment ...............
You may disagree all you want.
You're quite within your rights too.
I would howevre beg to differ.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Wed May 04, 2005 2:21 am

F**K the Props. 8)

You know what would rock? If thrid party synth manufacturers made their synths capapble of being Live instruments. So as an example, say you buy NIs FM7, you could have a VST, DXi, RTAS, AU or Live version so that, in the Live version, it displays on the track view like operator. No multiple windows. This would make things easier and stable. CPU usage would still be high though.

What does this have to do with the topic? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!

computo

Post by computo » Wed May 04, 2005 2:36 am

I suppose in the limited capacity which it appears you use Reason, that you may have not experienced issues. No doubt, rewire is solid as a rock. I like it. Soundflower is also the shit, but its mac only.

The problems exist, and if you cant see that the issues I described costs me and other performers money in the end, then okay. Obviously there are workarounds, but fuck that. That costs Props a lot, in lost user confidence and reliability. I certainly have steered others away from the upgrade, as its fucked up. Not up to par.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Wed May 04, 2005 2:39 am

computo wrote:I suppose in the limited capacity which it appears you use Reason, that you may have not experienced issues. No doubt, rewire is solid as a rock. I like it. Soundflower is also the shit, but its mac only.

The problems exist, and if you cant see that the issues I described costs me and other performers money in the end, then okay. Obviously there are workarounds, but fuck that. That costs Props a lot, in lost user confidence and reliability. I certainly have steered others away from the upgrade, as its fucked up. Not up to par.
what was 2.5 like? are the advertised (as distinct from actually delivered) benefits of 3.0 really worth it?

raapie

Post by raapie » Wed May 04, 2005 9:18 am

the 'nnxt loop' is a very annoying one in my opinion, but the Props will solve all these bugs. I know companies who don't solve all bugs reported. they simply ask you to upgrade and do a bugfix in that new version. the Props don't do this. even the 2.5 upgrade was free... I mean??? who are the whiners?

if you find bugs please report them, this helps other users. also when a website isn't working right, report this. I have been doing this with the Props and Ableton all the time.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed May 04, 2005 11:40 am

People from this forum told me it is worth to get Reason to use as drum machine and sampler (I didnt like Reasons sound, neither seq till then so never used it, thanks to the advice -getting it hooked directly to Live I found excellent tool for little money). I was doing so with good results. However Reason 3 is different animal,really professional software for musician , get lots for my production needs. Definitely useful for making money with music.
However those looking for software that will make music on their behalf might be disappointed, it is for real composers, producers, musicians, sound designersetc. Sashas, including the man himself may find it too demanding. BTW. the only "reason" to write is that someone seriously interested might get confused by the silly whinning of frustrated teenage pseudo Djs.
Last edited by rikhyray on Wed May 04, 2005 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.