Ye Olde iMac VS Powerbook VS PC debate

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SongCarver

Ye Olde iMac VS Powerbook VS PC debate

Post by SongCarver » Wed May 04, 2005 2:15 am

come one, come all...

to the time honoured tradtion that all the family can enjoy,

Yes, it's time for an update from my powerbook 667 and wondering to get a new imac...they weigh a ton but a lot more powerful and cheaper than powerbooks. Of course PC is an option too...but i do like mac os x and musolomo only runs mac (for now)

would anybody gig with the iMac?

K

smutek

Re: Ye Olde iMac VS Powerbook VS PC debate

Post by smutek » Wed May 04, 2005 2:23 am

SongCarver wrote:would anybody gig with the iMac?
Not here. I'm sure it is more than capable of getting the job done but if I had to choose I would take my notebook. Hands down.

They do make this giant bag for lugging around the iMac, but it still wouldn't sell me. Although it may be more portable than a standard desktop, it is still not a portable.

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Wed May 04, 2005 2:41 am

thanks smutek.

hmmm

any other comments?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed May 04, 2005 2:47 am

If i absolutely needed more power, yea i'd gig with an iMac.

but really i'm fine with my 12" Powerbook. It never goes above 25% CPU during my live performance. really i could probably get away with an iBook, and i prefer the small size not only for travelling, but also looking less "hey that guy has a computer!!" on stage. And in the studio, i can bounce things down but i rarely have to.

What are you using now SongCarver? a powerbook? ibook? how fast is the processor?
and what kind of cpu usage are you getting with it and your live set? any cpu hungry plugins?
There are things you can do to cut down on cpu usage - so give us an idea on what you're doing on stage and i'm sure we can find you a solution - be it iMac or something else.

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Wed May 04, 2005 2:58 am

hey adamjay

I'm currently using a 667mhz Powerbook with a motu 828 II (firewire)

I'm doing a mix of keyboard playing, loop triggering, and guitar processing. I basically use a lot of different effects for my guitar, and different instruments for my playing, and i need to keep all sets together because my band doesn't have much breaks (or none) between songs.

So i have one big über-set with all my AU instruments, loops, and guitar processing plugins on it. I turn off as much as i can...but theres no easy way to do this reliably. If you have a look at my forum commencement data you'll see I've got a fairly good grip on Live.

I've started using reason for instruments to a) help keep things tidy b) reduce cpu usage.(as compared to Zebra, etc)

my effects are pretty minimal, and I can't render them, because i need them live. (just simple ping pongs and resonant filters)

The biggest problem is my slow CPU really.. I'd love to be able to use some nice reverbs on stage etc (really long ones for effects etc) but that is simply not possible currently.

the imacs have a) faster proc by b) faster system bus c) faster hard disks

:?:

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Wed May 04, 2005 3:00 am

I bought a new iMac G5 a few months ago and I have to say I'm pleased as punch.
It's a big step up performance-wise from my old dual 1ghz g4 tower (which I sold for $1600; more than the cost of my new machine).

A few observations:

For gigging, it is heavy and less convenient than a powerbook and it has no battery power option. There are, however, bags/cases available that make transporting the thing easier.

It's fairly quiet but since the whole CPU sits right in front of you (instead of just the monitor) what sound it does make sits directly in your sound field, making monitoring less than ideal. It is also much louder than a powerbook.

I find the screen less bright than my old 17" TFT apple display, brighter than the powerbook.

New iMacs are due very soon with Tiger installed-- wait to buy.

Good bang for the buck, haven't tapped out my 1.8ghz G5 on any of my projects yet, though I'm in the habit of being conservative on plug-ins. I originally thought of this machine as a temporary step until bigger, badder powermacs came out, but since the recent update was so insignificant, I'll keep the iMac as my main machine for a little while.
MBP C2D 2.33GHz---Metric Halo MIO 2882

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed May 04, 2005 3:11 am

I'm glad to hear that it works out well. But by the time I'm ready to buy a new machine the g5 powerbooks will probably already be out. Besides I'm really considering abandoning desktops alltogether since laptops are as powerfull as they are these days.

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Wed May 04, 2005 3:16 am

well, after reviewing some finances... I'm still 2 months off anything.

who knows what the deal with the powerbooks is. 8O

thanks buzzcock...anybody else using imac for gigging?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed May 04, 2005 4:02 am

Well SongCarver, it sounds like you would get on just fine with an iMac.
but i think you would also get on just fine with a 1.5ghz Powerbook.
They have 512MB stock, and 5400rpm drives stock now. For the money, i think they are indeed well spec'd.

Personally, i like the security of having a battery backup. Never knowing what kind of wiring is going on at clubs and stages... its a good piece of mind to have.
Keep in mind that with Tiger, most 3rd party plugins have seen performance boosts in Live 4. Thus, having Tiger is itself a performance increase.

If you feel a new powerbook can't cut it for you, keep in mind that there are things you can do to streamline your machine as well -

1) Apple AUMatrixReverb, its incredibly effecient, and even more effecient in Tiger now. It uses about 1/4 as much CPU as the Ableton Reverb at the high quality settings. And it can do very long reverb tails without a big cpu hit. And most importantly of all, it sounds as good or better than any other non-convolution reverb. Its basically a Native processing TC Works VSS3 Reverb built into your OS. At the very least, shy away from Ableton Reverb on Mac, at least for the time being.

2) Anything EQ3 can do, EQ4 can do - and at far less expense of CPU.
You want resonant filters? it can do that. Kills? 3 Band DJ styhle EQ?, High Pass, Low Pass, Bandpass? yes yes yes yes and yes. If you are using EQ3, i suggest you take a long hard look

3) Make sure any inputs or outputs you aren't using on your soundcard are turned off/disabled in Preferences. They can steal cpu overhead from you, so that you can't maintain stable performance at higher cpu%'s.

The first two made the switch back to Mac quite a bit easier for me... and now with Tiger you'll get another 5-10% performance boost when using 3rd party VST/AU's

Considering that you have a 667mhz Powerbook now, EITHER a new model G4 1.5ghz Powerbook OR an iMac G5 would suit you just fine. The choice you have to make isn't so much having to do with performance, both machines are capable of performing. What you have to look at is, is are you willing to sacrifice the portability/safety-net of a battery in a Powerbook - to have a little more processing power and a larger screen in an iMac.

Livewire

Post by Livewire » Wed May 04, 2005 4:12 am

DJ Sasha uses an imac for live gigs.
: XP Pro Sp2 : 3.2GHz : 1GB RAM : Dell 8400 :
Live:Mawzer:Lemur:X-Station 25:I wish

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed May 04, 2005 4:19 am

Livewire wrote:DJ Sasha uses an imac for live gigs.
then he should definitely get one.

drush

Post by drush » Wed May 04, 2005 4:25 am

don't blame that on sasha. his handlers make those decisions.

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Wed May 04, 2005 4:53 am

one other question AdamJay...

what is "the revolution" and why is it coming?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed May 04, 2005 5:01 am

SongCarver wrote:one other question AdamJay...

what is "the revolution" and why is it coming?
its a riddle obviously.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 04, 2005 5:42 am

SongCarver wrote:well, after reviewing some finances... I'm still 2 months off anything.

who knows what the deal with the powerbooks is. 8O
I'm with you on that one, I can almost afford a 12" 1.5, but... Also that puts you at six months into the Powerbook line, roughly the time they usually updatre the line. So when you do get the cash, I would wait for the new ones. That's my plan, I'm hoping for a boost to 2ghz. My old rule was to only buy a new machine when I got three times the CPU out of it, and that would be close enough.

I have an 800mhz machine, and it works fine if I start songs in Logic and import audio files, keep FX and soft synths for live tweaking etc. Besides for the next couple months I can pay off my credit card, and get a Novation XS-49, plus Trigger finger...... oh yeah, and my severally underpaid singer needs a new mic...... :wink: