Live 9 project won't load

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Junia

Live 9 project won't load

Post by Junia » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:41 am

I just wanted to advise anyone considering the use of Live 9 to be extremely careful and reconsider the purchase. After days of hard work and collaboration I now have a project that won't load in Live 9 under OSX Mountain Lion.

Upon trying to load the project I get the rainbow swirl for about 15 minutes until Live eventually crashes claiming that the audio engine is not responding. It does not give me the option to recover and I cannot get into this project.

Frankly, this level of incompetence is reprehensible and Ableton should be absolutely ashamed. I am in a state of shock and can't believe I have lost all of this work.

foetus666

Re: Live 9 project won't load

Post by foetus666 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:21 am

I am not sure if this is related at all. But, I had a set I had worked many hours on stop loading. It popped up some error.

Turns out it was a Max Video Device Vizzable (I had removed a video clip from the hard drive that Vizzable used and this caused it to freak out and crash)

My solution was to uninstall MAX to reload my set and re-save. Then I imported the video track from an old backup and all good. No more shifting files.

My apologies if this was not related.

Junia

Post by Junia » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:54 pm

Please don't apologize, I am very grateful for any feedback.

I have obviously contacted support about this and they have asked for the project, log files and a status report. I have also posted numerous crash files for them.

I am just so surprised that this has happened because Live 8 was rock solid and I never had to worry about something as terrible as this happening.

It's just such a day ruining experience.

And I'm not actually using any Max for Live devices in the project - everything is either a professional VST or straight Ableton device. They have allowed poor quality control to affect Live 9.

I do own Logic (paid it off interest free with Barclay Card) but I'm not a big fan of it's interface and workflow so I find myself trapped in a scenario where I can be locked out of my Ableton projects or waste weeks becoming familiar with Logic 9. It's not a great place to be.

Worse, the person I collaborate with convinced me to go OSX and I can't help but wonder if Windows is the more deployed platform and gets more Dev attention than the OSX version and that this could be the problem as well.

Junia

Post by Junia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:11 pm

I did want to say that Support were able to identify the problem and provide an update to the 9.05 beta so I could get back into my project.

And you were right, I accidentally had a Max for Live device in there that I was mucking around with. Once I was able to get back into the project I deleted the offending "items" and now I can load it into 9.04.

Still, this was a process I would have preferred did not happen.