How To Deal With EQ On Pitch Shifting Instruments

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Andreilg3

How To Deal With EQ On Pitch Shifting Instruments

Post by Andreilg3 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Hey, I make electronic music and there is something that's been bugging me for a long time. I don't understand how to EQ instruments that change notes. I understand that you make a resonant sweep and pick out frequencies you don't like and what not, but if I do that while holding down "A" and then the next note is "D", all of that EQ is not only in vain but also detrimental. Not to mention a lot of the reasons for EQ have to do with how instruments interact with each other, so if I cut the 400-500hz range on some pads because they're interfering with my bassline, but then I make a chord change on the PAD, I might not even need that cut anymore.

Can anybody help me with this dilemma? What is the proper course of action?

fishmonkey

Re: How To Deal With EQ On Pitch Shifting Instruments

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:05 am

if you are having to do extreme EQ on particular notes to make things fit together then in most cases the things to consider are either changing your sounds, or changing your musical arrangement.

i.e. more along the lines of "why do i want to fit these sounds together" rather than "how do i fit these sounds together"...

for specific cases you could automate the filter frequency...

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:13 am

fishmonkey wrote:if you are having to do extreme EQ on particular notes to make things fit together then in most cases the things to consider are either changing your sounds, or changing your musical arrangement.

i.e. more along the lines of "why do i want to fit these sounds together" rather than "how do i fit these sounds together"...

for specific cases you could automate the filter frequency...
^^^^yeah, what fishmonkey said.
Also, Im all for experimenting and using things in ways they are not supposed to be used.
In your case, I think your looking at an atypical use of an EQ. With subtractive EQing, I think a good way to use it is as a way to get rid of yucky freqs- ie stuff in the signal that is not flattering to it. Also, use subtractive EQing to create a sense of depth in your mix.

Either way, u might want to check this one out, sounds like exactly what your looking for-
http://www.soundradix.com/products/surfer-eq

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:31 am

You are overthinking it. You shouldn't actually cut too much. Leave the instrument some room.