Endless time warping??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dozeren

Endless time warping??

Post by dozeren » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:59 pm

Hi folks, I am new to Ableton. I have a question about warping. Is it any way of stretching an audio file infinite? That is beyond the 999 bpm. I want to stretch audio to make long drones and textures.

yur2die4

Re: Endless time warping??

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:18 am

Yes and no. Not really specifically with the warping. Maybe repeated warpings. There are other tools also. (Like Paulstretch)

Sounds more like you might want to check out the concept of 'granular synthesis'. A note in a midi clip with various combinations of off-time looping modulations can make for some out-there result.

My easy suggestion, if you should happen to have Sampler (comes with suite), try using the Mod envelope to automate loop start point :)

dozeren

Post by dozeren » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:05 am

Ok. I'll try Paulstretch then. I kam very familiar with granular synthesis, but wav stretching is something else.

Is there any other tools for stretching and manhandling wavs? Do Ableton operate with different algorithms like Logic and Melodyne?

dozeren

Post by dozeren » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:35 pm

Paulstretch seems like what I am after. If it only could be used inside Ableton. That is the optimal solution so that my workflow wont be slowed down. Espessially since I would use this as a compositional tool. But ta for the tip , Will probobly use it :)

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:01 pm

You can consolidate the Clip (in arrangement) , then you can Start again from your project Tempo up to 999bpm

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:11 pm

dozeren wrote:Paulstretch seems like what I am after. If it only could be used inside Ableton...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=154956

dozeren

Post by dozeren » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Not timestretching as such, but a very interresting granular/sample instrument. So thanks for the link :)

dozeren

Post by dozeren » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:59 pm

stoersignal, yup I figured out that one. Still makes it a tad workflow-slow though (damn I should start writing lyrics :lol: )

But ta for great tips guys :) Keep'em coming. I'm still a Ableton-newbie :)

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:13 pm

i'm not sure how exactly you think timestretching is achieved...?
Live's own timstretching algo's - except the spectral-based 3rd party Complex algo's - are granular based.
Is there a new top-secret way of time-stretching out there that you're not telling us about?

dozeren

Post by dozeren » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Cant tell you. Secret.

Seriously though. I dont know the technical terms of it. But I allways thought timestretching could be compared to stretching a rubber band. And granular was from one to several mikro seconds to several seconds of sound being played back simuntaniously og non-simultaniously and so on. Doesnt this make these two techniques different rather then similar?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Stretching like a rubberband in its most basic form is like playing a vinyl at different speeds.

You get pitch changes.

In order to retain pitch, things are refiltered, chopped, blended, etc. the various methods have varying results that usually directly affect the timbral quality.

For instance, something stretched x1000 might lose the transients on drum sounds etc.

You can emulate most of Live's warping algorithms via Sampler. Except for the complex ones.

dozeren

Post by dozeren » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Ok. Learning something new all the time :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Sampler is reeeeally fun to play with. If you have it, I'd give it a try.

On AbletonInc's YouTube, I think there is a vid of Sampler being used to stretch sounds in fun and interesting ways. Also, there is a demonstration of a very intense Granulator m4l device if you have m4l. (Free download on the Ableton Packs page!)

peter181

Post by peter181 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Retriggering Simpler with a free arpeggiator while slowly adjusting the start point (assign both to rack macros for finer control) is basically granular synthesis. You could make multiple copies of it in a rack to trigger at more than one speed/pitch/envelope setting etc etc.

Also check out Spear, nice free utility for spectral editing, you can also use it to stretch things or play them back slower. You get artifacts from the fft conversion process rather than from repeated chopping. Maybe also do some convolution stuff in Soundhack?

peter181

Post by peter181 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Also this is totally stupid and time-consuming, and probably only good for drums, but select part of a wave in Audacity, press z to find the zero crossings, then copy and paste, then repeat with another section. Completely ugly, DIY time stretching.