MIDI question?...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LordPyrex

MIDI question?...

Post by LordPyrex » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 pm

How can I change the release of individual MIDI notes in the sampler? Say I want the release of one note to be 20s, and another to be 1s, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks in advanced

stoersignal

Re: MIDI question?...

Post by stoersignal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Automate the Release knob of the instrument

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:20 am

Or use two tracks

saulosneto

Post by saulosneto » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:41 am

or with note lenght midi effect

ChiefNugget

Post by ChiefNugget » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:46 am

which of these scenarios are you referring to?

1) a particular release time every time a particular pitch or range of pitches is played (example, C0-C1 have 5 ms release and C1-C3 have 25 ms release)

2) the release of one particular notes within a midi clip to have various release times which could differ throughout for notes of the same pitch

There are a few ways to achieve the goal of case 1...
The easiest method is to use the "Time<Key" parameter on the amplitude envelope of the Filter/Global section and tweak it along with the release time until you have all your notes releasing the way you want up and down the keyboard. It might not be as precise as you were after, but it's a useful feature.

To focus on more specific notes, you could use the key zone of multiple sampler instances to specify release time for specific notes. Rack the Sampler instances up with one chain for each release time, then set the key zones to trigger only the notes you want triggered for each release time.

For case 2, use automation as suggested, or to make it playable in a performance...

Rack up your Sampler and assign release time to a macro. Now you can adjust using MIDI CCs.

Use the "Time<Vel" paramter on the Filter/Global section and play with varied velocity to change the release time.
I need a baby sit my boys and work the day job plug-in.