ASIO vs. MME/Direct X

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
PFN78

ASIO vs. MME/Direct X

Post by PFN78 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:38 am

I've struggled a lot with latency and my Focusrite 2i2, until today I accidentally switched the "Driver Type" under the "Audio Device" section under "Preferences" from ASIO to MME/Direct X and this eliminated my latency.

I'm curious why this is. I don't fully understand the reasons why ASIO works better than MME/Direct X and I'm curious what the differences are.

Thanks!

Re: ASIO vs. MME/Direct X

Post by 102455 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:27 am

Did you get something the wrong way round in that post?

It should be the case that ASIO works better (lower latency) than MME/DirectX, but you say that switching from ASIO to MME improved things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output

PFN78

Post by PFN78 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:26 pm

102455 wrote:Did you get something the wrong way round in that post?

It should be the case that ASIO works better (lower latency) than MME/DirectX, but you say that switching from ASIO to MME improved things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output
Your correct, that was a typo.

I switched from MME to ASIO.

eothang

Post by eothang » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:37 am

I just recently upgraded to a focusrite 2i2 and I experience the same very annoying latency but it was corrected with ASIO. I have seen in random boards that ASIO delivers a cleaner sound but I also do not know why. I think they might almost be brand names for a type of software or something. I know I had to download an asio driver for my Avid Fast Track duo that I started on.

Would love to connect with anyone who knows more about that!

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:29 am

For starters: ASIO doesn't share control but dedicates it to itself. That can already significantly boost things.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)