A lot of pros have jumped to Ableton from Logic

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chingy

A lot of pros have jumped to Ableton from Logic

Post by Chingy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm

This is not a scientific observation or anything, but over the past year or two, it seems a lot of pros who used to use Logic for their productions are now using Ableton. If you look at the FutureMusic and ComputerMusic in studio videos, you'll notice the trend.

Anyway, the end.

sowhoso

Re: A lot of pros have jumped to Ableton from Logic

Post by sowhoso » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:52 pm

if that is indeed true i would say it's cuz Live is more conducive to creativity

doncolga

Post by doncolga » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:33 am

I really like the Session View for writing...it works really, really well for me. I've been a Sonar user for a long time and I still have it of course and will still use it I'm sure, but there are some thing I miss, which is not surprising. A DAW takes a little time to learn.
Macbook Pro, MAC OS X 10.8.4, 8 GB RAM
Ableton Live 9
Oxygen 8 V2, 61
JBL 4326, Audio Technica ATH-M50, AKG K240S
https://soundcloud.com/donny-collins

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:38 am

Ableton's Simpler plug-in sums it up. Ableton doesn't take 10 key commands or mouse clicks to do simple tasks.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:54 am

No, it takes ten mouse clicks instead of one key command.

8)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:26 am

???
Yes, people are moving from Logic to Live.
People are also moving from Live to Logic.
From Live to Studio One, Reaper, DP, Cubase etc.

Mostly, people who shouldn't buy Logic do because Apple owns them.
It's a great DAW, but it's not for everybody, just like Live isn't for everybody...

For what it's worth, the global key commands if modified to your needs make Logic blisteringly fast, but unlike Live you have to know what you want in order to get the most out of Logic. I like Live for sure, but it's strengths are also it's weaknesses. It show you a nice loop based workflow and you can instantly see how this helps you in writing etc. but if you go a less loop based route and use 30-40 tracks etc. then the workflow isn't so great. 30-200 tracks is not an issue at all for a DAW like Logic or DP, so if you're scoring in an orchestral way for instance it's easy to see how going to Logic would make sense.

Gnuus

Post by Gnuus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:46 am

I don't hear anybody talking about Pro Tools, why's that?
http://myspace.com/aftronics
Live 10 Intro | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | Samaon Graphite 49 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | iPad air | ZOOM TAC-2 | Roland TD11

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:Ableton's Simpler plug-in sums it up. Ableton doesn't take 10 key commands or mouse clicks to do simple tasks.
That's interesting adonis. I've never used Logic myself. But I have a great interest in efficiency, ease of use, ergonomics, accessibility and mouseless computing. I'd love to see an example of what you meant exactly, if possible.
One click - drag and drop a sample to automatically create a Simpler sampler instrument.

Compare that to the amount of mouse clicks it takes to create an ESX sampler instrument
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Higgs Bason

Post by Higgs Bason » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:57 pm

I'd imagine logic runs better on a Mac then Ableton, I'm thinking of going the other way, you don't get warned about all the CPU problems you have with Ableton before you buy it, it's fine as long as you don't record vocals.

Chingy

Post by Chingy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I like Live for sure, but it's strengths are also it's weaknesses. It show you a nice loop based workflow and you can instantly see how this helps you in writing etc. but if you go a less loop based route and use 30-40 tracks etc. then the workflow isn't so great. 30-200 tracks is not an issue at all for a DAW like Logic or DP, so if you're scoring in an orchestral way for instance it's easy to see how going to Logic would make sense.
Interestingly, Daniel James, who is an orchestral composer, uses Live for everything - http://www.youtube.com/user/dazexus

Certainly a rarity though.

And I should clarify my observation - this is solely for EDM producers.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Higgs Bason wrote:I'd imagine logic runs better on a Mac then Ableton, I'm thinking of going the other way, you don't get warned about all the CPU problems you have with Ableton before you buy it, it's fine as long as you don't record vocals.
Yes, to Logic's credit, it's rock solid on a Mac. Since upgrading to Live 9 I've experienced an unacceptable number of slow starts and shut downs, crashes and weird USB issues.

However, they're not frequent enough to render Ableton unusable or unappealing.
Last edited by djadonis206 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Higgs Bason

Post by Higgs Bason » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:39 pm

No idea, been getting loads of static and crackling and sound drop outs and loading tacks in with tracks playing at the wrong speed, I've had the same problem on a pc, now on a mac and I've tried 3 different interfaces, 3 Different Microphones/Cables and had the same thing and no answers, I can only work on tracks a hour at a time because it's usually ok for half hour to a hour then I have to give up, and ive got it running through a brand new mac, it's only when I record stuff live into it.

I've read that Ableton can only access 3 GB of your Ram, I don't know if this is where the problem lays, I've had this problem since I've brought it "about 4 months" and have not been able to sort it out.

What I'm running it on:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-p ... 4-pdt.html

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Chingy wrote: And I should clarify my observation - this is solely for EDM producers.
Then it's next to meaningless, sorry. Pro Tools is the preferred choice among engineers with recording studios, but I wouldn't post that a lot of pros are jumping to Pro Tools. Logic excels at composing, not at remixing, or being easy to figure out right away. A person jumping from Deejaying to composing is going to feel much more comfortable in Live, no doubt. A person who reads tabulator? they aren't going to be using only Live. For instance your example, I would bet he uses Live along with tabulator software like Sibulous or Finale.

Yes. Live fills a niche with electronic musicians, but it doesn't mean in any way that there's a lack of Logic users. The only thing holding back Logic at the moment is it's lack of updates, which I would guess is going to change soon.

Chingy

Post by Chingy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Well, Pro Tools and Ableton were never in competition with each other - they serve very different purposes. Nobody expects Ableton to replace PT (or vice versa). And Daniel James doesn't use Sibelius or Finale.

And of course there are still many Logic users, but it is interesting to see a number of them (albeit from a specific user segment) moving fully to Ableton.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:15 am

Chingy wrote:Well, Pro Tools and Ableton were never in competition with each other - they serve very different purposes. Nobody expects Ableton to replace PT (or vice versa). And Daniel James doesn't use Sibelius or Finale.

And of course there are still many Logic users, but it is interesting to see a number of them (albeit from a specific user segment) moving fully to Ableton.
from what ive seen of pro-tools (i own logic and live) it seems that pro-tools and logic are more like each other (therefore more in competition with each other in a MAC vs. PC type of way), and live is kind of it's own beast. that is how i always thought of it. maybe i'm wrong? i feel like LIVE is supposed to serve a different purpose than logic and/or pro tools.....but it offers these production tools as well.
also, i would think that most pros, probably use a few different DAWs in their productions....like maybe LIVE to arrange, LOGIC to mix etc. it would be interesting to know, who actually jumped ship and produces completely in live. i know (apparently) flying lotus jumped from LOGIC to LIVE. and he has complained about how much LIVE sounds like "shit" on twitter and facebook. lol
in my HOBBYIST point of view....i haven't noticed much difference in sound between live and logic.....i expect that all of the DAWS are about the same sound wise. maybe i'm wrong?
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.