Cheapest solution for recording 10 mics simultaneously?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
#1thelark

Cheapest solution for recording 10 mics simultaneously?

Post by #1thelark » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:50 am

Hi @all,

right now I'm working at a company where they have to check if their products are really quiet...
Atm they test their products by recording ten at a time with a acoustic measurement (looking for peaks above a certain threshold in the audio files). Unfortunately with that setup you can't tell from which of the ten products did the noise come from and have to do more tests to find out the faulty product.
So I thought I'd rather combine ten mics and record the audiostreams simultaneously into a cheap multitrack recording software...

So either one usb-audio-interface with ten inputs or ten audio-to-usb-cables with built-in a-d-converters plus ten tiny mics.

Do I need preamps for something like this?

Or are there cheap standalone audio recorders with ten inputs?

What would you guys recommend as the cheapest yet reliable solution for recording ten tiny mics?

Cheers!

miekwave

Re: Cheapest solution for recording 10 mics simultaneously?

Post by miekwave » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:15 am

#1thelark wrote:Hi @all,

right now I'm working at a company where they have to check if their products are really quiet...
Atm they test their products by recording ten at a time with a acoustic measurement (looking for peaks above a certain threshold in the audio files). Unfortunately with that setup you can't tell from which of the ten products did the noise come from and have to do more tests to find out the faulty product.
So I thought I'd rather combine ten mics and record the audiostreams simultaneously into a cheap multitrack recording software...

So either one usb-audio-interface with ten inputs or ten audio-to-usb-cables with built-in a-d-converters plus ten tiny mics.

Do I need preamps for something like this?

Or are there cheap standalone audio recorders with ten inputs?

What would you guys recommend as the cheapest yet reliable solution for recording ten tiny mics?

Cheers!
Quality testing requires transparent preamps and high sample rates and bit depths for benchmarking. Mackie Onyx 1620i, 1640I; Focusrite Saffire 56; or Motu 828 series are some of the best multi interfaces on the market with ultra quiet preamps with 96/24 or better resolution recordings. If you have tra money to burn get a PCI solution such as PT Native card with a 8 or 16+ input outboard adapter.
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:19 am

I wanted to add the mics to the setup just for confirmation purposes, so you can tell which product does produce the noise... The high quality audio measurement system would run as before.
is there something like the Zoom R24 with ten inputs and sdcard recording maybe?

Post by 102455 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:58 am

It's unlikely you'll find a recorder that handles 10 tracks exactly. In this market, it goes from 8 to 16 - and the price jumps accordingly.

One solution would be the Allen & Heath ICE-16.

It can record 16 tracks onto a USB flash drive or hard drive, plus it can be connected to a computer via USB or FireWire and used as an audio interface.

They're all line level ins and outs though...

There's a forthcoming Behringer unit, the iX16, with 16 mic ins. It uses an iPad as its touch interface. No ETA or price though (and I don't know how many inputs it can record at once).

A new unit is the Roland Studio Capture. That's got 12 mic inputs...

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess a cheaper solution will do the job as well.
But 10 usb-mics will be really hard to configure ;(

deva

Post by deva » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:04 pm

The new Zoom H6 handheld has 6 track recording and it costs $400... 2 of them would give you your 10 tracks and you would also have two outstanding flash based 24/96 portable recorders to use for other purposes...

The Zoom H6 has 4 XLR inputs and 2 line in. There is also an additional adaptor that gives 2 more XLR inputs for a total of 6.