ITunes vs ASD files

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
_tones

ITunes vs ASD files

Post by _tones » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:50 pm

I use Ableton primarily to DJ. I like to use ITunes to organize my MP3 files, since it's integrated into how I usually listen to music, it lets you sort/search super easily, and you can drag-and-drop into Ableton from it. (The way Apple is slowly turning ITunes into a shopping mall and movie theater is obnoxious but I have yet to find anything better.)

The problem: It's really unfortunately common for .ASD files to get lost. I cannot count how many times over the years I've painstakingly created warp points for a track, clicked that "save" button to make sure they were saved, and then a few days later dragged the file from itunes into ableton and found no warp markers. It has messed up some good DJ sets and it has wasted a ton of time.

What is going on here? Do other folks have this problem? Is there a way to prevent this? I have "Keep Itunes Media Folder Organized" in itunes preferences turned OFF, specifically to prevent itunes from messing with my ASDs. But it doesn't seem to help.

This is really my single biggest pain-point with using Ableton Live. Any ideas on how to avoid it would be so so appreciated.

This thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=148499 suggests "create one folder where all asd files are stored and tell Live where they are in Preferences". I'd love to do so, since it seems inherently unstable to create ASDs in a directory-structure managed by itunes -- but I don't see a way to do this in Live's preferences.

=Tones=

Blendton

Re: ITunes vs ASD files

Post by Blendton » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Could be related to Live's habit to do revisions and even deletion of ASDs if it detects ... sometimes there is no answer here lol.

It happens with often used and "warped enough" samples being placed on a clip box, but I never tried to figure this one out I admit...

DJ in real situation was Ableton made for me but I took hours to prepare a unique "one set = one hand-made folder with read-only files only"...

It's so disabling that you can't perfom welll with just a little "all read-only, samples, asd, HDD stuff in brief" ?
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD