External midi sync problem with synth

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dixie237

Re: External midi sync problem with synth

Post by dixie237 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:56 am

Yeah its a cool bit of kit. Does great sweeps, has onboard drum sounds that you can trigger (with a nice nudge funcion if you are "just off" with timing). Filters are good, reverb is good. Has a great software editor.

Sound quality is spot on, 1/4 connections, plus RCA if you want them in a DJ setup.

I will say though I prefer the Korg Kaoss Quad for dirtier gritty sounds (I run the EMX drums through it in series) , a lot less refined but more destructive.

I'd go thumbs up on the RMX though defo :)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:26 pm

theinfinate wrote:Has anyone had these problems or if you have any insight on the issue I would love to hear it.
This is one of the more frustrating things for me,
not just the timing issues with Live,
but specifically that it clips/gates midi input when the transport is not running in ext sync mode.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:33 pm

102455 wrote:It's common on forums like this for people to want help with something, and yet they barely give any relevant info in their posts.
It's also common for assholes to expose how irrelevant their knowledge is.
I knew exactly what the OP was about, it had precise info, DUH.

Post by 102455 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:22 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I knew exactly what the OP was about, it had precise info, DUH.
Well look at the big brain on JuanSOLO...

Did I say anywhere in the statement you quoted that the OP had not given enough info?

No - it was a general observation based on forums in general. Not just this one, not this thread in particular, not that post in particular.

dixie237

Post by dixie237 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:38 pm

102455 wrote: No - it was a general observation based on forums in general. Not just this one, not this thread in particular, not that post in particular.
There's a specific forum for those kind of comments. The lounge. If you have nothing thread related or contructive to add, please don't waste everybody's time posting here.
Thanks
:|

Post by 102455 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:16 pm

dixie237 wrote:If you have nothing thread related or contructive to add, please don't waste everybody's time posting here
What, have I not got a right to reply when someone calls me an asshole?

Apparently I'm an asshole for describing what often happens on forums.

As for having nothing contructive (sic) to add, you must've missed my posts on the first page of the thread.

dixie237

Post by dixie237 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:30 pm

102455 wrote: What, have I not got a right to reply when someone calls me an asshole?

Apparently I'm an asshole for describing what often happens on forums.

As for having nothing contructive (sic) to add, you must've missed my posts on the first page of the thread.
I dont think he was refering to you personally. I think it was a general observation based on forums in general. :)

You are right I had missed your earlier post. My appologies.

Post by 102455 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:55 pm

LOL I had a sneaky feeling someone would pick up on that! Serves me right for choosing terse over verbose.

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:20 am

dixie237 wrote:
I will say though I prefer the Korg Kaoss Quad for dirtier gritty sounds (I run the EMX drums through it in series) , a lot less refined but more destructive.

I'd go thumbs up on the RMX though defo :)
Yeah the kaoss series do have some cool filters and sounds, I am using a kp3 at the moment which I have just pulled out from the corner where it was collecting dust! It's cool but I like the idea of multi filters and layering effects. I forgot about the korg quad so I'm glad you mentioned it :) what I'd really love is a piece of hardware that does what the app Turnado does, that is an awesome bit of software there!

I'm thinking that I'd like to go more one the hardware side for this live show setup I'm creating as I really don't like taking my expensive laptop around as it is my only computer for production and having to rely on software isn't appealing to me. I'm really into this 2 x rc505 thing you have going, do they work great together oh and what is your gadget for the master song stop and start?
I've just ordered another rc505 for I picture it will work really well for grabbing the live loops I've constructed with my mouth sounds, guitar and synth sounds. Il be able to press record on a loop on the second 505 and tweak filters, effects and pattern faders...It's like recording automation with hardware I guess :). The if I added something like the rmx in between as effects out before the second 505' I reckon that would be awesome. The only prob is that I really like to sing over the effects (which i love how the 505 does this) and not have my vocal line mangled by the effects, having the rmx there would mangle my vocals so I'm trying to get my head around the best way to do this. It's a tricky one! I know I can do all of this in live but I really just love touching knobs ( not in a gay way haha)

dixie237

Post by dixie237 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:19 am

theinfinate wrote: what I'd really love is a piece of hardware that does what the app Turnado does, that is an awesome bit of software there!)
Yeah, love Turnado. My go to vocal mangler in the studio. Kaoss Quad is the nearest thing to this.
theinfinate wrote: what is your gadget for the master song stop and start?
The SND Acme-4. Once running, I dont need to stop the clock feed. The RC-505's change banks seemlessly, so track mixing is easy. I could stop the individual clock feeds, but have all of my drum loops on the EMX set to 8 bars, and I use that as the visual cue on where I am in a track. So once all are running, with the 8 bar loops loaded into the RC 505's its tight.
theinfinate wrote:I've just ordered another rc505
Congrats mate. Only thing now is running out of hands to control it all.... :)
theinfinate wrote:I know I can do all of this in live but I really just love touching knobs
These are two different disciplines, for me I can get all my loops and sound together in Live which I love doing, then set them up for a jam with hardware, and just let the track arrange itself without a computer. I record these takes and then use them to build (rebuild) the track in live.

:) Live and let live. Enjoy your knobs

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 am

dixie237 wrote: Congrats mate. Only thing now is running out of hands to control it all.... :)
:lol: yeah i know, i wish i had monkey feet then i could put the 505 on the ground! I was thinking of making a poking stick that i could attach to my arm and use it to press buttons when im playing guitar :lol: I'm actually serious

Have you got any vids on youtube? id love to hear your setup!

dixie237

Post by dixie237 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:30 am

theinfinate wrote:[:lol: yeah i know, i wish i had monkey feet then i could put the 505 on the ground! I was thinking of making a poking stick that i could attach to my arm and use it to press buttons when im playing guitar :lol: I'm actually serious
A Boss FS-6 would be easier. :) Never a good idea to attach poking sticks to ones self however tempting. :) :lol:
theinfinate wrote:Have you got any vids on youtube? id love to hear your setup!
Nothing on there I'm afraid. Maybe I'll have a go. I'll let you know if I do

theinfinate

Post by theinfinate » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:40 am

dixie237 wrote:Nothing on there I'm afraid. Maybe I'll have a go. I'll let you know if I do
Yeah cool, i', always interested in seeing peoples setup, i am working on getting one on their. Hey have you heard of the iconnectmidi2+ and the 4+? the 2+ should be available in the next few weeks apparently. You can sync an ipad with your laptop and have the audio pass through the ipad so i guess that means you can use apps like turnado as effects, synth apps for sounds etc. It's going to be a revolution in the ipad music history in my opinion! I can't wait!

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:16 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:This is one of the more frustrating things for me,
not just the timing issues with Live,
but specifically that it clips/gates midi input when the transport is not running in ext sync mode.
I've just run into this clipping/gating stuff. Is there any way around this?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 pm

nope