All times are UTC

Post subject: Ableton Live as a do it all?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:30 am 

Hey guys, really new to DAWs and stuff.

Traditional musician, but have never really recorded anything, but am really interested in incorporating electronic sounds and hopefully utilizing the ableton push.

I just have a few questions.

1) Is ableton live suited to record/produce music (including both digital and analog)?

2) How is it comparable to other programs in terms of plugins and samples?

3) I use sibelius to compose a lot of my music, could it somehow have some connections with ableton?

Thanks, I don't know too much about digital stuffs and software, so hope someone can enlighten me.

I seemed to be drawn towards Ableton Live above all other softwares I've seen though.

Post subject: Re: Ableton Live as a do it all?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:09 am 

ChordMelody wrote:

Traditional musician, but have never really recorded anything, but am really interested in incorporating electronic sounds and hopefully utilizing the ableton push.

I just have a few questions.

1) Is ableton live suited to record/produce music (including both digital and analog)?

3) I use sibelius to compose a lot of my music, could it somehow have some connections with ableton?

Thanks, I don't know too much about digital stuffs and software, so hope someone can enlighten me.

I seemed to be drawn towards Ableton Live above all other softwares I've seen though.

Hi Chord

1: yes

2: I wouldn't worry about that. You can use whatever plugins and samples you want.

3: not sure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:41 am 

Sibelius supports ReWire, so you could sync it with Live and run them together if you wanted to.

Presumably Sibelius can export to standard MIDI files, which you could import to Live.

Unfortunately Live does not support MusicXML files.

I've just discovered there's a Max object called MaxScore which can be used in Live (via Max For Live) to provide music notation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:34 pm 

I also came to Live from a traditional background ( violin/ bass).

Live has been liberating to say the least. What helped me was to learn live for its own merits, not so that I could extend what I did with notation software. For example in notation software the note Bb for a clarinet is a Bb on a clarinet. But in live it could be a. Clarinet, a bass, a phrase of midi notes, an audio snippet of Haydn ( or daft punk), or an entire song. That flexibility can be daunting at first, but as I said, liberating once you wrap your head around it.

John cage said in the future (our now) that the modern composer will have practically total control of sound. Live is a close as it gets right now.

You will find Live a very fertile ground for growing your ideas. I have had live for 4 years and feel as though i have just scratched the surface of what can be done. Have fun! And seek out other live users - they are a great resource to learn and explore live.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:36 pm 

ChordMelody wrote:

1) great for building beats, loops, grooves ... not so hot for tracking and editing/comping audio.

2) most flexible architecture/signal flow ... great basic plugs ... but much better with dedicated personal choice of VSTs

3) don't know

play with the demo for a while ... see if it's your cup of tea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:51 am 

Sorry for the week late reply guys! Been busy :)! But wow, thanks for all the replies!

I'm very interested in the Max Score mentioned! Thanks :) I'll look into that! And yes Sibelius should be able to export to standard Midi and just have Live work with it :)!

And thanks for sharing your story cybersytes :)! I love the John Cage reference.

I've been playing with the demo for a while, but I have not figured it all out yet. Sort of a big learning curve for me. So still trying things out.

Also a side question if possible, External audio interface? Or get a good soundcard?

Thanks guys :)!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:27 pm 

Are you using Mac or PC?

Presumably a desktop, reading between the lines.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:23 pm 

ChordMelody wrote:

Also a side question if possible, External audio interface? Or get a good soundcard?

Thanks guys :)!

A lot of people call external devices soundcards anyway. I would think external is best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 am 

I'm using a PC, and I built it myself, so I guess I can really play around with the internals and stuff if need be.

:)! And oh any recommendations on external stuffs?