Controlling the Live intruments/Sounds per midi channel

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ZooTooK

Controlling the Live intruments/Sounds per midi channel

Post by ZooTooK » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:34 pm

I'm using RapidComposer as a sequencer plugin in Live 9 to control/play instruments on other tracks.
It easy enough to pipe the midi from RapidComposer to other tracks using the midi routing.

The problem starts when trying to control servral tracks from the same instance of RapidComposer.
The each intrument should only listen to one midi channel - but I can't make that happen for Abletons instruments.
Using e.g Reaktor I can filter the midi channel inside Reaktor but I just can't find a way to make the Ableton instruments listen only to one midi channel. The midi plugins don't seem to offer midi channel filtering and I can't add a 3'rd party plugin in front of Abletons instrument to do the trick.

Any ideas how to make Abletons instruments listen only to one midi channel from another plugin?

I'm using Live 9 Suite on OSX 10.6

yur2die4

Re: Controlling the Live intruments/Sounds per midi channel

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:11 pm

This is a shot in the dark, as I have not used tat plug, but I have used multi channel plugs before (Maschine).

I usually have the multi plug on one channel.

Then create a second midi channel and change the I/o routing settings for that new midi channel.

What comes up when I use machine is:

Select the channel the vst is in on one dropdown.

Next dropdown lists vsts in that channel, and sometimes multiple instances (Maschine-1 Maschine-2... Maschine-16).

Those are usually separate midi channels.

ZooTooK

Re: Controlling the Live intruments/Sounds per midi channel

Post by ZooTooK » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I've looked at the Maschine guides but it's not really the same issue I think.
I've tried various combinations with Midi tracks but it still the same road block not being able to select midi channel as it's from a plug...

I just realized that M4L could be inserted before the Ableton instruments - I just have to find a suitable patch!