All times are UTC

Post subject: Key detection for Samples
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:55 am 

What is the best way to figure out the root key of a loop? I use mixed in key, audio finder and the convert to midi function in live and often they seem to all produce a different result.

I know you can try to find the key by playing along on a keyboard but that will take for ever with my sample collection,which i'm hoping to organize by bpm and key.. Curious to know how others have accomplished this for file organization.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Key detection for Samples
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:20 am 

markza wrote:
What is the best way to figure out the root key of a loop? I use mixed in key, audio finder and the convert to midi function in live and often they seem to all produce a different result.

I know you can try to find the key by playing along on a keyboard but that will take for ever with my sample collection,which i'm hoping to organize by bpm and key.. Curious to know how others have accomplished this for file organization.

Thanks!

I have a library where all MIDI loops are set in the key of C and I transpose accordingly. For Audio loops, those are usually Labeled (most popular) C, A, E, F#, C#, B but there are other MIsc keys as well. I typically find loops ate are a Perfect 4th/5th or Unison interval to the key I am working in. But there are times where I simply transpose audio stem r loop by a max of +/-3 Semitones. Anything greater than 3 semitones has unpleasant (sometimes pleasant depending on your style) artifacts.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:09 pm 

Mixed in Key should be pretty accurate for most loops, and you can load a whole library in one go.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:25 pm 

I use Rapid Evolution 3 for Key Start and Key End detection and BPM tags.

It also gives you more advanced detection than just major or minor since that isn't always enough to go on:

http://www.mixshare.com/wiki/doku.php?i ... ced_theory

Way better than Mixed In Key imo, and free, but not as simple to use. It does have a lot more useful features if you choose to use them, though. I just drag new music onto it and it's set up to only detect and tag the Start/End Key and BPM entries, so my whole library stays up to date. Then I can just drag whatever from my media player (foobar) into Live.