F@&£Ing volume!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nathannn

Re: F@&£Ing volume!!!!

Post by nathannn » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 am

sowhoso wrote:
102455 wrote:He's the one insulting me!
yo! accept that YOU are wrong!

i highly doubt that this is the way you work face to face
The way I read it Sowhoso you come off being ignorant.
Twice you were told that the loudness war is a real term used. You were given the answer to your question in the first post but since you didn't like the answer you started the insults.

Also you come off someone who is either in their teens, has a stick up their ass or someone who is just not grasping the concept of a joke. The numbers guy wasn't being insulting, he was joking with you a bit, you were the one being insulting.

If you just want your track to sound loud, put a limiter on the master channel and turn it up.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:42 am

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep11/a ... udness.htm

i've just skimmed through this as i'm at work and don't have the time to read it in detail but at a glance it seems like food for thought and an interesting read

me - i use a t racks prog eq and ableton limiter on my master and adjust to taste. as long as the resulting wav file doesnt look TOO much like a ruler then i'm not that bothered.

i mix and master in one room through some krk rokits then i take the file next door and get wrecked while listening to it through my regular cambridge audio amp and wharfedale speakers.

practice and experience have told me that if it still sounds good under those conditions then it's probably ok :)

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:05 am

Use a loudness maximiser such as Pro-L, Compassion or FG-X they can get it louder better than Lives built in limiter. Pro-L is regarded as the best one but Compassion also covers all dynamics such as compression with many characters.

For EDM or metal add a little bit but don't over do it I use Brainworx BX meter to check the dynamic range. Throw that on last so you can see what is the end result.

Many songs on CD have around 7db of dynamic range but you should aim for 9 because you don't have a boss saying "but others are louder n fans don't like quality!!!!".

Metallica's Death Magnetic album has 2DB dynamic range which means it can't be loud because at no point in the song are there any quiet bits. It's like listening to a washing machine weather it's your type of music or not. It's like doing an oil painting using white paint and brighter white paint only.

You can only make it louder at the cost of dynamic range which although makes your mix sound louder it will actually bore people to death. The music studios are forced to make songs as loud as others playing on the radio by business idiots.

Before using the loudness maximiser try using saturation plugins and compressors.
Saturators fatten the sound up and make it more interesting. My fave saturators Soundtoys Decapitator Slate Digital VTM.
Fave compressors are Devil-Loc, Abletons The GLue by Cytomic, Slate Digital VBC.

Post by 102455 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:54 am

nathannn wrote:The way I read it Sowhoso you come off being ignorant.
It wasn't sowhoso that started the thread.....it was sinkysaurus.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:00 pm

The famous child psychologist Donald Winnicot wrote a lot about the capacities adults/ teachers have to develop around kids

My favourite one is the notion of 'nonretaliatory containment'.

Which means essentially, if the other person is behaving like an asshole / a moron, telling them so may not be the most constructive response, and may just lead to escalation.

Taking a big breath and just addressing the point at issue & preventing negative fallout may be the wisest course.

Of course, if everybody practiced nonretaliatory containment internet forums would be very calm places.

Just saying.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:27 pm

I think the first response was on the money. The OP is obviously very inexperienced and doesn't seem to know what the loudness wars are. Like 102455 said, a quick google search would have indeed revealed why his tracks don't sound as loud as commercially mastered tracks he's been comparing them to. And actually the little animation is very informative in that respect (if you knew what you were looking at).

102455's post might have been a bit sarcastic, but it's tone was still light hearted and friendly and like I say pointed out exactly where the route of the problem lies (the loudness wars).

Post by 102455 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks puz.

This thread has been useful to me too. I've just installed the trial of FabFilter Pro-L, which I'd not heard of.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:04 pm

OP is a dick (look at the title of the thread...)
or simply too stupid or lazy to search the internet or search this forum for a answer to a question (being asked the gazillionth time)

I think there's a bottom line here..
this forum has gone to shit.. there is nothing more to learn here.
only stupid questions with stupid answers.. and you might get insulted while just trying to help.
this is just a sample
Ableton user base is so big now that there are so many noobs and assholes around..
used to be a place for learning.. but there's nothing more to see here.
no interesting posts. only noobs with rants/silly questions...

I only come here as a force of habit at this point.. but that's gonna stop.
honestly this place is not anywhere as good as it used to be

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:44 pm

3dot... wrote:OP is a dick (look at the title of the thread...)
or simply too stupid or lazy to search the internet or search this forum for a answer to a question (being asked the gazillionth time)

only stupid questions with stupid answers.. and you might get insulted while just trying to help.
this is just a sample
Ableton user base is so big now that there are so many noobs and assholes around..

it has been getting a bit shouty and weird sometimes, i agree. though i like following some of the arguments now and then for interest and entertainment.

i still come on here every day, i value the thoughts and opinions of many people here (including you :)). and their humour. some people i've actually ended up meeting in real life, and time and location permitting i hope to meet more. especially if i ever end up in america at any point

i prefer it to twatting about on facebook

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:52 pm

sowhoso wrote:
102455 wrote:He's the one insulting me!
yo! accept that YOU are wrong!

i highly doubt that this is the way you work face to face
Pardon me, but he wasn't, I'm not standing up for him, and if you bothered to read his post he mentioned he put the smiley in there. The OP gave him crap right off the bat and continued to do so without really posting any info for better help from good folks on this forum. I help where I can, I ask questions when I need to, I search this forum or google when and where needed and I'm usually pretty civil to all on this forum. End of soapbox, don't bother responding as I'm not following this thread as it appears he got his answer elsewhere already and it's a dead topic now.
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm

slatepipe wrote:
3dot... wrote:OP is a dick (look at the title of the thread...)

this is just a sample

it has been getting a bit shouty and weird sometimes, i agree. though i like following some of the arguments now and then for interest and entertainment.

i still come on here every day, i value the thoughts and opinions of many people here (including you :)). and their humour. some people i've actually ended up meeting in real life, and time and location permitting i hope to meet more. especially if i ever end up in america at any point

i prefer it to twatting about on facebook
:)

It’s as if the rest of the Internet finally bled into the Ableton forum. A true sign of a company’s success.

I’m about 90% shenanigans and 10% useful questions and answers here. All I know is if I were on the streets just about nobody would know what the fuck I am talking about with Live and music. We all have that to fall back on here, a common ground.

Post by re:dream » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 pm

This is why some forums have Nazi mods 8O
And the ability for posters to delete threads

One can limit the spiraling of negative energy.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:52 pm

The Finn wrote:This is why some forums have Nazi mods 8O
And the ability for posters to delete threads

One can limit the spiraling of negative energy.
yea.. because everybody knows Nazis are good like that...
ffs..

Post by re:dream » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:57 pm

8)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:23 pm

And there are studies being done showing that people who have become well skilled assholes online are starting to also do it in person. :x