Sound Proofing for voice-over work

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cpyatak

Sound Proofing for voice-over work

Post by cpyatak » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm writing on behalf of a friend of mine who is having a hard time getting an answer to his question anywhere else. He does radio and other voice-over work professionally and has a side business as well. He's trying to build a studio booth that will allow him to expand his side business. Here's his question:

"I'm putting an isolation booth in a shed. The booth is good on it's own but not good enough to block out all the surrounding traffic noise. The shed is going to be 10x10x8(ft) I plan on using Resilient Channel Furring (Hat Channel) with whisper clips and 2 sheets of drywall separated with green glue on the walls. I will also be able to do the ceiling. Not sure what to do about the floor. Basically I need to know if it makes any sense to do just three walls because I can't build suitable doors and I will have to work around them. There will also be two holes cut in one of the walls for electric and A/C ventilation."

Thanks for any help you can give!

Chris

c33

Re: Sound Proofing for voice-over work

Post by c33 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:43 pm

I wouldn't build it in the shed if it's not going to block out all the traffic noise.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:48 pm

cpyatak wrote:Hi all,

I'm writing on behalf of a friend of mine who is having a hard time getting an answer to his question anywhere else. He does radio and other voice-over work professionally and has a side business as well. He's trying to build a studio booth that will allow him to expand his side business. Here's his question:

"I'm putting an isolation booth in a shed. The booth is good on it's own but not good enough to block out all the surrounding traffic noise. The shed is going to be 10x10x8(ft) I plan on using Resilient Channel Furring (Hat Channel) with whisper clips and 2 sheets of drywall separated with green glue on the walls. I will also be able to do the ceiling. Not sure what to do about the floor. Basically I need to know if it makes any sense to do just three walls because I can't build suitable doors and I will have to work around them. There will also be two holes cut in one of the walls for electric and A/C ventilation."

Chris
Move to a new location further away from traffic. You can not totally isolate that without building a mini fortress due to proximity. (Traffic/tires/etc rumbing the ground, etc)

justin

Post by justin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:52 am

cpyatak wrote: "I'm putting an isolation booth in a shed. The booth is good on it's own but not good enough to block out all the surrounding traffic noise. The shed is going to be 10x10x8(ft) I plan on using Resilient Channel Furring (Hat Channel) with whisper clips and 2 sheets of drywall separated with green glue on the walls. I will also be able to do the ceiling. Not sure what to do about the floor. Basically I need to know if it makes any sense to do just three walls because I can't build suitable doors and I will have to work around them. There will also be two holes cut in one of the walls for electric and A/C ventilation."

Chris
First thing about building spaces that are good for sound is to avoid square rooms (or close to). But that may not be a huge issue if its meant as a dry vocal booth, although you still need some acoustic reflections to support the voice.

WRT construction method, I would recommend measuring the SPL level of traffic noise in the vicinity to get an idea of what attenuation level is required from the walls. One you have that value, then you can add another 10dB on top because products are always tested in a lab and not in the real world. I cant make any definitve assesment, but my gut feeling is two layers of dry wall isnt going to go very far, even if they are decoupled. Traffic noise is predominantly low frequency, which needs mass to attenuate - and increasing the number of layers doesn't really help here. Also if you can, avoid having the ceiling parallel with the floor. If you can try to decouple the floor from the foundations, this may also help with the traffic.

You lost me at the part where you were asking whether or not you would get away with 3 walls! If its because of door seals, then yes this can get a bit messy if you DIY. Have you considered looking at IAC doors (prefab and can be expensive if you want high levels of isolation). Anyway, I hope the above helps in some way.

footsy

Post by footsy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:58 pm

You could tile the floor, but yeah I don't see this as a good idea. You're gonna be putting way to much into something that MIGHT work.

You can record things in an open room with some foam on the wall.. The key to voice recording is reflections and your mic choice. I find a closet full of cloths to be a perfect place to do a home vocal recording area.

I know it's cheap, ghetto and cliche but it works.
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi