Maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yur2die4

Re: Maschine

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:51 pm

If its the mkii, forward it to me :D. I would love those buttery colorful pads under my fingers.

Oh yes.

Yes.

Oh.

Yes...

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:NI are sending me one over from Germany to test and review.

Any questions or tips? Anyone want to compare it with Ableton's Push?
My biggest thing with Maschine is finding a good workflow with it in Live.

I do like Maschine great pads, great sounds, and sp1200 and mpc 60 emulations but the integration is a little cumbersome.

It is great for recording on the fly but when you are ready to mix/arrange the workflow can get tricky.

I also never figured out automation on Maschine but I hear it is supposed to be pretty good.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:03 pm

I love my Maschine and its workflow with Live. I use it basically as a APC 40 kind of thing and also as a sort of hardware drum sampler. I program drums, chop samples, step sequence all from the maschine hardware and I do everything else directly in Live including sequencing. I think when trying to use the maschine sequencer it becomes cumbersome with maschine + live but other than that its a great tool.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:41 pm

If you run Maschine Mk2 as a VST in live, you have instant access to 8 groups of 8 sounds each, which you can select with the group and pad buttons, in one track. The Mikro is a little less convenient, but still doable....

Also, Maschine's percussive patterns are superb, and the ability to swap drum kits, change midi loops, etc. is extremely easy. It is also very easy to drag and drop the MIDI patterns into Live, and you can build an identical drum rack in Live using sounds from Maschine's really excellent library.

Also Maschine is a very nice controller for Live.

One limitation is that you can't play Live drum racks from Machine; it has no virtual Midi output, and can't serve as a source except to external instruments, even by looping it back from the hardware outputs (Mk2)

Live 9's Suite does have usable sounds (I think the orchestral sounds may be superior to Live), but you can't select them immediately as with Maschine - although in the latter case, you do have to live with the first note sounding when you select the instrument).

I've been playing both, using Launchpad95 with a Launchpad S. My Push arrives this afternoon....:)

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Buleriachk wrote:If you run Maschine Mk2 as a VST in live, you have instant access to 8 groups of 8 sounds each, which you can select with the group and pad buttons, in one track. The Mikro is a little less convenient, but still doable....

Also, Maschine's percussive patterns are superb, and the ability to swap drum kits, change midi loops, etc. is extremely easy. It is also very easy to drag and drop the MIDI patterns into Live, and you can build an identical drum rack in Live using sounds from Maschine's really excellent library.

One limitation is that you can't play Live drum racks from Machine; it has no virtual Midi output, and can't serve as a source except to external instruments, even by looping it back from the hardware outputs (Mk2)

Live 9's Suite does have usable sounds (I think the orchestral sounds may be superior to Live), but you can't select them immediately as with Maschine - although in the latter case, you do have to live with the first note sounding when you select the instrument).

I've been playing both, using Launchpad95 with a Launchpad S. My Push arrives this afternoon....:)
Since Maschine is already in plug in mode why not just play the drum rack with the maschine controller if you want those sounds? maybe my workflow is odd but maschine is more of a plug in and controller with Live than a separate pseudo rewire thing

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:39 pm

Maschine gives you 8 instantaneously switchable drumracks in a single track (or 64 different sounds).... if that's what you want....

together with its terrific library
(e.g., Live doesn't have any Middle Easter percussive kits; e.g. Tabla, North Indian, Middle Eastern, etc. or MIDI loops that go with them...)

(and Massive)

Maschine and Push complement each other very, very well, IMO.... even though the combo is pricey. But you couldn't even get this equipment 8 years ago.....
kevwestbeats wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:If you run Maschine Mk2 as a VST in live, you have instant access to 8 groups of 8 sounds each, which you can select with the group and pad buttons, in one track. The Mikro is a little less convenient, but still doable....

Since Maschine is already in plug in mode why not just play the drum rack with the maschine controller if you want those sounds? maybe my workflow is odd but maschine is more of a plug in and controller with Live than a separate pseudo rewire thing

OJ KARDASHIAN

Post by OJ KARDASHIAN » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Funk N. Furter wrote:NI are sending me one over from Germany to test and review.

Any questions or tips? Anyone want to compare it with Ableton's Push?
WUT do THE pads SMELL like?
F$&@ You KATO....OJ's favorite Mac shortcut is COMMAND-X (hahaha)

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:59 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Maschine gives you 8 instantaneously switchable drumracks in a single track (or 64 different sounds).... if that's what you want....

together with its terrific library
(e.g., Live doesn't have any Middle Easter percussive kits; e.g. Tabla, North Indian, Middle Eastern, etc. or MIDI loops that go with them...)

(and Massive)

Maschine and Push complement each other very, very well, IMO.... even though the combo is pricey. But you couldn't even get this equipment 8 years ago.....
kevwestbeats wrote:

How do Push and Maschine compliment each other? I don't own and have no real interest in buying a Push

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:18 am

Push's claim to fame (IMO)is its organization of the scales into a whole new paradigm for performance (get a Launchpad S and Launchpad95 to check it out). You can get 3 octaves with just your right hand, with the scales easily accessible in repetitive forms (rather than a keyboard).

I am primarily a guitarist with some keyboard skills. The Push is a very guitar-like perspective, with a few caveats, which I'm sure will be addressed (and may be part of the design already; I'll need the Push to know for sure, since L95 is limited....

I was a doubter myself until I tried L95 with my Launchpad; the order for Push went out the next morning... It makes performing cohesive melodies ridiculously easy....

My Push STILL hasn't arrived, and it is 5:16 pm.... WTF is with UPS, anyway... :)

Oops, just thought I heard footsteps....

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:02 am

kevwestbeats wrote:I love my Maschine and its workflow with Live. I use it basically as a APC 40 kind of thing and also as a sort of hardware drum sampler. I program drums, chop samples, step sequence all from the maschine hardware and I do everything else directly in Live including sequencing. I think when trying to use the maschine sequencer it becomes cumbersome with maschine + live but other than that its a great tool.

Yeah, I do similar - and it works pretty well. I compose/jam in Maschine in standalone, get a few different ideas happening - THEN move into Live.

The cumbersome bit is, that I drag all my midi into Live, and then I set-up all my synths again in Live. :roll: (I then might do some further sound design in Live - I don't really do any hardcore sound design in Maschine)

I also re-route all of my drums (ie. Group A usually, into Live so that each pad has its own audio channel in Live, even thought Maschine is being triggered by the Midi clips in Live. I've got a template for this, so it doesn't take that long, but it is worth it.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:11 am

I haven't touched Live 9 since I got my Maschine. I absolutely LOVE it! But I am definitely struggling to find a suitable work-flow. I feel like when I'm using Maschine as a VST in Live, it's not being used to it's fullest potential. I prefer to jam out in Maschine and just drag audio over to Live for further arrangement.

One would think that Maschine would be perfect for a sampling work-flow, and it is to a certain extent, but I do a TON of micro-edits and cut up a bunch of samples in to small bits, effect them, re-sample and arrange them. It's kinda hard to do (if not impossible) in Maschine. Micro-edits and piecing sounds together is kinda my thing and as much as I'd LOVE to just do everything on Maschine, it's not possible.

That said, the sounds on MAschine are AMAZING! I think I'm good on drums for awhile.

Any MAschine+Live work-flow suggestions?

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:45 am

Start with your Live arrangement (loops, synths, etc) and then layer it up with Maschine. You can drag and drop the midi file from Maschine to Live's sequencer.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:25 am

why not keep everything in maschine and just use lives superior sequencer instead of dragging everything over, the audio you drag over isn't printed with any of maschines efx anyway, so why not just run outputs for the maschine groups into Live and use Lives sequencer from the start?

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:37 am

Maschine doesn't have virtual midi out. We are ALL waiting for ver. 2.0...
starving student wrote:why not keep everything in maschine and just use lives superior sequencer instead of dragging everything over, the audio you drag over isn't printed with any of maschines efx anyway, so why not just run outputs for the maschine groups into Live and use Lives sequencer from the start?

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:09 am

can't you just do sounds to midi or whatever?