Midi mode setup for a CDJ

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Down8ch

Midi mode setup for a CDJ

Post by Down8ch » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:44 pm

So I have this idea about controlling sound in live performance. What I want to do is have a set of send tracks to control macros in different tracks. Is it possible to map sends to control macros? Or would it be easier to set up a send chain within the track I want to manipulate via sampler or something similar?

I have a cdj setup that has a midi mode, so I'm working on building a custom project template that gives me tactile control over my set via sends and macros, but apart from having to midi map every macro seperately to a button or fader on the CDJ, I don't know how to go about pulling this off.

Bonus question: since the CDJ I'm referring to has a clone (i.e. a second duplicate controller), when I have both plugged in and set to midi mode, the controls put out the same midi note message for each CDJ. Meaning if I use the jog wheel to midi map to a macro or send, the other jog wheel will also be able to control that macro/send. Is there any way to differentiate the midi range or midi note messages to be different on each CDJ?

Down8ch

Re: Midi mode setup for a CDJ

Post by Down8ch » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:12 pm

More idea implementation:

I have a series of bus tracks to house incoming audio/midi and a custom FX rack for each bus tailored to suit the needs of the sound modulation I'm trying to emulate. All the key parameters are mapped to the frontside macro pannel, which are mapped to the various buttons, knobs, and faders on the CDJ.

Still haven't figured out how to split the midi range between the two CDJs. Each one currently activates the same identical user input as the other one. While this allows some cool flexibility and mapping ideas, it isn't totally intuitive and user friendly. But it works :)

I'm currently in the process of figuring out how to switch between each bus track on the fly and mute or disable the macros that aren't in the currently selected track (i.e. all bus tracks that aren't selected). I don't even know if this is possible, as all the mappings and such would still be mapped to the same controls on the CDJ. At the moment, it's pretty limited in terms of live sound manipulation via the CDJ, but I'm working on it