Recording the iPad into Ableton Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BoddAH

Recording the iPad into Ableton Live

Post by BoddAH » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:50 pm

I was wondering if any of you folks use some of the nifty iPad apps like Animoog, Figure, Thor, etc. to record loops and samples to use in Ableton Live and how you do it.

Do you directly connect the iPads headphone jack to your sound card's line inputs or is there a way to stay 100% digital? The inherent DA/AD conversions happening over a shitty 3.5 mm stereo jack in this scenario probably degrades the sound quality quite a bit and the iPad's headphone jack DA converter probably isn't very good in the first place.

I know some apps allow you to export loops and import them via iTunes but IMHO this is a workflow killing, intuitive pain in the ass. :lol:

Tarekith

Re: Recording the iPad into Ableton Live

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:07 pm

I use the headphone jack sometimes, othertimes I use a combination of Auria, Audiobus, and whatever synth I want to record. Then I can keep it all digital and just grab the files from Auria via iTunes or Dropbox.

ark

Post by ark » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:28 pm

When iConnectMIDI4+ becomes available, I think it will offer another alternative.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:34 pm

How so?

franknputer

Post by franknputer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:01 am

I've tracked the iPad from the headphone jack, it sounds fine.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:55 am

Agreed, it might not be the most pristine option, but it sounds fine for my purposes 95% of the time.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Tarekith wrote:How so?
apparently the new iConnectMIDI boxes will have some kind of audio pass-through over USB. i find the whole transferring files a workflow killer too, so i hope these work well...

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:00 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
Tarekith wrote:How so?
apparently the new iConnectMIDI boxes will have some kind of audio pass-through over USB. i find the whole transferring files a workflow killer too, so i hope these work well...
That looks great, this is basically the missing link between my iPad and my Mac that I was looking for.

If I understand this correctly this will allow me to send MIDI back and forth without any latency which is great in itself but how does the Audio passThru work? Will the audio feed from my iPad appear as stereo audio channels in Live (only in this case it's actually a loss-less 100% digital signal)?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Been waiting almost a year for the iconnect 4 to come out, hopefully soon!

su

Post by su » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:23 pm

iconnectivity's fb page says the iconnect 2 is due in a couple weeks. 4 to follow soon hopefully

continuous

Post by continuous » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Well... today I am able to purchase the iConnectMidi2+ from the iConnectivity site... I can put it in my cart at least, whereas it previously always said "Not Currently Available", so progress is being made? If I pull the trigger I would still have to buy the Lightning to 30 pin adapter to connect an iPad4. So the whole shebang would cost $130... screw that.

:evil:

su

Post by su » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:58 pm

continuous wrote:Well... today I am able to purchase the iConnectMidi2+ from the iConnectivity site... I can put it in my cart at least, whereas it previously always said "Not Currently Available", so progress is being made? If I pull the trigger I would still have to buy the Lightning to 30 pin adapter to connect an iPad4. So the whole shebang would cost $130... screw that.

Sweetwater has it for 89 I think and I think I've seen those adapters for 10

continuous

Post by continuous » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:07 pm

su wrote:
continuous wrote:Well... today I am able to purchase the iConnectMidi2+ from the iConnectivity site... I can put it in my cart at least, whereas it previously always said "Not Currently Available", so progress is being made? If I pull the trigger I would still have to buy the Lightning to 30 pin adapter to connect an iPad4. So the whole shebang would cost $130... screw that.

Sweetwater has it for 89 I think and I think I've seen those adapters for 10

Thanks for the heads up! I have been waiting for Sweetwater to get them in stock... I'll have to poke around and see if I can find a more affordable adapter that is reliable for a bit less.

freepuppies

Post by freepuppies » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 pm

su wrote: Sweetwater has it for 89 I think and I think I've seen those adapters for 10
I got mine at Guitar Center for 89. It is the missing connection between iPad and Mac. I just with I had more time to play with it