NI maschine- new technics 1200 for production?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
bytheriver

NI maschine- new technics 1200 for production?

Post by bytheriver » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:21 am

Every 'in the studio with' feature I read or watch, all the interviews with house/techno producers, everyone's studio pics... so much maschine! Its everywhere.

I don't have it personally and I have some money I want to spend on a new toy for production, so I was considering it.

Technics 1200s being everywhere was a great thing, since you felt at home on them. I'm not so sure about maschine though, do you think there is a danger of to much music in some genres sounding like maschine, or does the fact it loads your own samples mean it doesn't really have a sound of its own?

In some ways I'd rather have Push because its different, so it'll give a slightly different perspective and work flow to maschine, but in others I cant get away from the feeling its a lot of cash to do exactly what I do now only with coloured buttons, it wont actually add any sound, whereas maschine will with its effects and sample library.. but then I don't really want to use the same effects and sample library as everyone else.

kevwestbeats

Re: NI maschine- new technics 1200 for production?

Post by kevwestbeats » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:16 am

Maschine is awesome but tbh there isn't much there that you cannot do already with Live and an MPD 32 or something. That said I have no intention of letting my maschine go any time soon. The libraries made for it are nice as well. I haven't run into a library for Maschine both commercial and indie that I have not liked.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:25 am

I'm a long time Live user and long time electronic musical instrument user in general and I must say, Maschine is AMAZING!

Best purchase I've made in a long time! And I've made quite a few.

Totally transformed my work-flow into (almost) exactly what I've always been searching for. Now I just need an Octatrack and an Analog 4.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:08 am

Maschine is just a tool - nothing more, or less.

How it sounds is what you put into it, and what you do with it. There is no danger of genres sounding too 'Maschine-like' , as you suggest. (Unless too many people use only the sample library that comes with it, with no further sound design)

It's a great tool - so is Push. I have both, and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. If you can try them out for yourself, you might have a more informed opinion on them both.

Have fun.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Maschine Mk2 is one of the best purchases I have ever made, and I have made a LOT of them..... :(

And one of its best functions is to act as a control surface for live - it is VERY well thought out and integrated with Live 9 (just hit shift - control to go back and forth)... I was amazed as how well it works as a VST in Live 9, even though its midi isn't completely implemented (no virtual MIDI ports....)

And, of course, the library is one of the best around....

(Myself, I tried Push and returned it and upgraded to a Launchpad S - with Launchpad95 and J74 IsoController. (I just don't think Push is quite ready for prime time for me - the lighting pads were really unacceptable, and the LED's on the side unreadable, and there is no implementation of harmony (Circle of fifths, etc.) but the concept is brilliant, and I'm sure Ableton will get it right. That said, the learning curve on Push is a great investment in the future)

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Maschine Mk2 is one of the best purchases I have ever made, and I have made a LOT of them..... :(
I don't understand what you're implying here. ?? Explain, maybe. ?

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Theo Void wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:Maschine Mk2 is one of the best purchases I have ever made, and I have made a LOT of them..... :(
I don't understand what you're implying here. ?? Explain, maybe. ?
Only that both Live 9 and Maschine Mk2 together are both excellent investments and work very, very well with each other ...
(Maschine was mentioned in the thread)...

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:42 am

Buleriachk wrote:(Myself, I tried Push and returned it and upgraded to a Launchpad S - with Launchpad95 and J74 IsoController.
I'm thinking of doing the same - how is that combo working out for you?

Are you using it in conjunction with Maschine as a controller for Live?

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:48 pm

It works great, although you don't get the LED instrument feedback for devices in Maschine; you have to watch the computer screeen. The Maschine template for Live 9 works really well, and with the Launchpad options you get most of the tweaks available with Live, except you can't set things on the LED screen. Once I learned the Maschine template for Live, things were really easy (there is a hardware controller reference available:

http://duveberlin.com/sites/default/fil ... lish_0.pdf

(For Launchpad95 you have to use a lookup-table with the matrix, and for 74 ISO you use a dropdown menu (in the M4L version). To change pitch easily, just put a Pitch midi device between the M4L Iso device and your synth or drum rack.)
Citizen wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:(Myself, I tried Push and returned it and upgraded to a Launchpad S - with Launchpad95 and J74 IsoController.
I'm thinking of doing the same - how is that combo working out for you?

Are you using it in conjunction with Maschine as a controller for Live?
(I emphasize that as soon as the issues I have with Push are resolved, I will be first in line....)

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:13 am

My main issues with Push are the browser situation - its appalling that you can't browse your own samples. Its driving me nuts. :roll:

Plus, the browser is kinda convoluted, anyway - its so weird that they don't sync what is displaying on Push with what is displaying on the software browser.

I'm thinking that it is a better workflow to simply do all of my composing in Maschine (with the ease of browsing it has) - and then transfer everything over to Live to arrange and mix.

Between Launchpad with LPC/Ditto + Maschine w/Live9 template - there is not much that Push can do that those two cant.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 am

Buleriachk wrote:I was amazed as how well it works as a VST in Live 9, even though its midi isn't completely implemented (no virtual MIDI ports....)
Actually the OSX version of Maschine has always had virtual MIDI In/Out ports.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Last edited by 3dot... on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:45 pm

delicioso wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:I was amazed as how well it works as a VST in Live 9, even though its midi isn't completely implemented (no virtual MIDI ports....)
on PC as well...

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Sorry if I was unclear. It has virtual MIDI ports for remote control, but does not have MIDI data out (you can't trigger a drum rack from Maschine using its MIDI out signals. (You can sort of jump through complicated hoops, but it is not worth the effort.) The basic solution is to drag and drop MIDI clips from Maschine into Live, but you cannot record a Maschine clip directly into live.

Of course, Maschine Mk2 will show up in the MIDI options in Live. Live only accepts channel 1 anyway; the issue may be Live. (Each sound in a group has to be assigned to a Midi channel, and then you have to make an instrument device and feed it to separate tracks in Live. A real PITA, and totally not worth the effort for me...

Someday I'll get around to trying it in Sonar....

Anyway, if I was confusing, my bad, sorry.

3dot... wrote:
delicioso wrote:
on PC as well...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:48 pm

you can do it very simply in 'controller mode' (shift+control on Maschine)
honestly.. it's dead simple..