Newbie MIDI question...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jmousseau44

Newbie MIDI question...

Post by jmousseau44 » Sat May 07, 2005 4:19 pm

I put as newbie because I feel that way right now.

Okay, is it possible to step record in Live?

:?:

defunkt

Post by defunkt » Sun May 08, 2005 9:13 am

you can paste clips in the arrange page.i reckon there may be a clue in the name of the program though. :?

jmousseau44

yep I knew it...

Post by jmousseau44 » Sun May 08, 2005 3:40 pm

....First blast. :lol:

I know it doesn't make sense. I'm still restricting myself to the "old" ways of working...

Pilgrim

Work Around It

Post by Pilgrim » Sun May 08, 2005 6:42 pm

jmousseau44 wrote:....First blast. :lol:

I know it doesn't make sense. I'm still restricting myself to the "old" ways of working...
Yes, Jmousseau44 but it made sinse to me. . .
I heard that blast from defunct also. My laughing is while updating my list of trolls.

About LIVE! MIDI input: I could not find any MIDI note input except “playing realtime” and piano-roll in clip view.

Piano roll entry/editing is perhaps the “most popular” by most evaluations and circumstances but I feel that list editing is so basic and necessary that until LIVE! implements it as well, I’ll use my old MIDI program(s) or device(s).
Anyway, save/drag-drop or copy/paste etc. is pretty easy.
BTW, Many of us, including me, when we do not “play” MIDI into LIVE! actually record//copy the clips/phrases from another program/device.

I have used step recording but since it takes about the same “steps” as “list” entry, I went back to list entry.
Of course, I use list entry/editing in several devices that ONLY have it.
List editing works well. Ableton?

Use your old sequencer that allowed step and drop into a LIVE! clip slot or track.

Keep pushing it. It will work somehow.

Pilgrim John

defunkt

Post by defunkt » Sun May 08, 2005 7:34 pm

:cry: whats a blast .i wasnt trying to be rude.sunday morning sarcasm. :oops:

jmousseau44

Oh...

Post by jmousseau44 » Mon May 09, 2005 4:25 am

...no offense taken defunkt, I was rolling with it.... :D

I guess a blast to me would be like a "flame-lite" repsonse. Sarcasm instead of a**holism.

I thought asking the question was crazy because I've owned live for a while now and never even thought about step recording until yesterday.

cheers from the worst run city in the U.S. - Detroit :(

jmousseau44

Thanks Pilgrim...

Post by jmousseau44 » Mon May 09, 2005 4:29 am

...that's what I was thinking about doing. At least I'm not crazy (but I might be, you never know).

-J

Pilgrim

Re: Thanks Pilgrim...

Post by Pilgrim » Wed May 11, 2005 6:53 am

jmousseau44 wrote:...that's what I was thinking about doing. At least I'm not crazy (but I might be, you never know).

-J
If you are crazy, then I'm in good company. :D

Jmousseau44,
As far as troll-like behavior is concerned, it is a matter of personal taste to either do it or recognize it.
I believe that this forum is a place to share everything positive that we can and even then we may miss the point.
Anything else is counterproductive.

No question should be considered stupid, after all, we are all different and living in completely unknown worlds from each other, Right?

I might suggest that, if you are looking for a simplified, comfortable way to enter MIDI into LIVE! and step entry is not available AND you have a fleeting thought that it might help. . .
Try this. ..
Create a MIDI clip and open it in clip view. Unfold it or not but stretch it out (size the window up, way up) and get the grid stretched to a comfortable fraction of a beat size.

Now, you have the keys/notes on the left, the time across the bottom/top and a place to indicate notes and rests (absence of notes, in this case).
Now you can “step” edit or at least simulate it in the piano roll view, just do things in the order that you would in a step editor.
I realize that you must use the mouse instead of the computer keyboard and a MIDI keyboard, but it does seem to me to be simpler. You just have to “invent” it.
It’s called a “work-around” and is necessary to not become really crazy.
You can do it.

I need to get a keyboard (black and whites) hooked up and see if notes can be entered into Piano Roll view by selecting position and playing a note.
No big loss if I cannot but might be easier.

Ableton !!!?? . . . I still think that the minimum should be a list editor/view.

Jmousseau44, I do not use LIVE! live as many might here. I use its “unique capabilities designed to enhance live playing” as an arranger, both of audio and MIDI clips or tracks.

I really like the ability to visually do comparisons of phrases between more than two clips/phrases very quickly
I also appreciate LIVE!s abilities in the warping function, lots of flexability. This is the easiest music program I have ever used but still very powerful.

My studio setup includes my mobile devices (laptop and Roland MC909) plus, (in studio), 2 Korg keyboard synths (each with a sequencer which allows multi-track playing), and a Yamaha MU100rack XG tone generator (2000 sounds and 5 effects).

When I sit down (or while making the coffee) I boot the computer then turn on the RME multi-face, then the Roland VM3100Pro mixer with two stereo effects processors (all synth outputs are routed through the RME to the mixer via the computer).
I turn on the monitors, the controller and take a sip of coffee and do something.

I usually record/assemble phrases and audio clips on the MC909 while I am on the road but. . .
At the “studio” (which is 90 miles from “home”). . .
. . . I may have a MIDI clip/phrase playing on the MC909 while recording a MIDI track in LIVE! or even recording both the playing clip and a new one by playing the Triton Studio, both in LIVE! Maybe even recording some audio at the same time, somewhere.
I split tracks and send channels all over the place, in real time.

It’s all a matter of convenience and not having to be too organized, just “synced up” which, after having done it a few times, is doable and easy.

In the end (whatever that is) I may assemble all the MIDI clips/tracks into one file but not always. They usually end up in one folder on the computer to be saved and backed up.

I do have a “catalog” system that helps keep track of samples and clips by my use categories.
I once stored MIDI or audio clips in Sonar tracks but now use LIVE! Session view and save the .als file self contained. Some of the clips exist there only. I do keep backups.

I have an unusual lifestyle and have been developing my music libraries and gear for several years and yes, each year/month/week it changes some but always for a reason and always for the better.

Nothing here is “normal”, so it’s perfectly acceptable for you to do just about anything with the tools that you have as long as you are within your financial boundaries and able to make music for your needs.
If you need help, even to do something unconventional, just ask! Be different!

Have at it!

Pilgrim