Learning to DJ: what software?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

Learning to DJ: what software?

Post by re:dream » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 pm

A friend of mine wants to learn to mix.

I wonder what software is the best.

- Live is what I know, but it would not be my first choice to DJ. And it is a bit pricey for a startup
- Traktor? Will she need a controller? Is it easy to learn?
- Virtual DJ? I've had a look at it. It looks complicated.
If she's going to go to Traktor anyway, would it be a waste o' time to start with Virtual DJ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

8O

Re: Learning to DJ: what software?

Post by 8O » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Learning to mix? Get a couple of turntables or Traktor and switch all synching off.

Learning to DJ? Traktor DJ iPad app -> Traktor controller with the free LE -> Traktor Pro

Post by 102455 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:24 pm

She can start for free by downloading Virtual DJ Home. It doesn't support controllers, but will give her a feel for DJing on a computer.

It's not complicated. Add songs to the browser, load them to a deck, hit play.

Using a controller is easier, feels more like DJing (to a DJ anyway!). Cheapest I know of is the DJ2GO which comes with an LE version of VDJ. LE versions can be upgraded at a discount to the full Pro version which supports any MIDI controller.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Traktor is easy to learn, and it's fun.

login

Post by login » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 pm

epends.

Any budget? Does she has an iPad by any chance?

If she has and iPad I would start with traktor dj app.

If not, and want to go the software route I would Start witch traktor, if she has any budget for it:

under 700 USD, go controllers: Kontrol z1+x1, or a Xone k2.IMHO, dont go expensive with controllers

If she has something like 800-900 USD, I would go for Pioneer XDj-R1: cd and usb reproduction stand alone, analog mixer with effects, plus sound card and can be used as a controller.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:01 pm

I like 8O's advice for sure and would second that idea.

Also, for iPad/iPhone. I love Traktor a lot, but it ended up being a short affair as djay2 came out as an upgrade from the already awesome djay app. More flexible control of tempo and matching than Traktor (and that part of it trains the ear for important dj skills). As a bonus it costs less!

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Don't bother. Best advice he'll ever get.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:16 pm

Best advice for life in general :P

Don't bother...
Waking up
Going to school
Getting a job
Talking to that girl
Deciding on a career
Hobbies? Psshhht
Exercising
Breathing

Steve Ballmer

Post by Steve Ballmer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 pm

it just works.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

Post by re:dream » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks for the advice. I will investigate the Ipad DJ App. But I was wondering: does Virtual DJ take a midi controller, or are you doomed to use a mouse?

Post by 102455 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:35 am

The Finn wrote:does Virtual DJ take a midi controller, or are you doomed to use a mouse?
As I said earlier, the free Home version is mouse only, as are Broadcaster and Pro Basic.

Any LE version supplied free with a controller will work with that controller only.

If you want to use VDJ with any/all controllers then you'll need the full Pro version.

All basic versions are capable of being trialled with a controller for 10 mins at a time, and of being upgraded at a discount to full Pro.

Ajacky

Post by Ajacky » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:42 am

Look into Serato DJ also. With a good controller I think it's a good way to learn the fundamentals of DJing. Traktor has most features but some prefer Serato workflow and sticking with the basics. Virtual DJ cannot really compete with those 2.

Post by 102455 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 am

Ajacky wrote:Virtual DJ cannot really compete with those 2.
Can you give any particular reasons why you believe that?

Ajacky

Post by Ajacky » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 am

I'm not saying VDJ is a bad software. Having used it myself my first year of DJing I think it's pretty good for learning the basics and it has a nice clear UI. However there is a reason why experienced software DJs use only either Traktor or Serato. When you switch from VDJ to Serato DJ you will instantly notice how much smoother experience it is and the waveforms provide much more information. If you care about the tacticle feel of platters then that is also much better on Serato controllers. Serato has more performance features for a professional DJ trick set like loop rolls and at least now also better effects. The program also feels more stable and professional. I can only say that when I made the switch I never looked back.

I haven't used Traktor much but it certainly is better than VDJ because of the number of features in it. VDJ has nothing to compete with Traktors remix decks or effect macros.

We don't even have to start talking about the DVS side of things. I have never seen anyone use VDJ with vinyl.

Virtual DJ is a nice program but it clearly is aimed more to bedroom djs.

Post by re:dream » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Hmm my friend just wants to try her hand at it. If she likes it, then she can decide whether to spend money.

I think VDJ sounds best for this purpose right now.

I still have to figure out just how its approach to playlists work (what's with the 'side list' as opposed to the automix Playlist??) but other than that VDJ seems straightforward.

I and a group of friends are going to club together to get a Traktor controller (this is South Africa, and our currency is not strong!) & she can join the boys when she is ready 8)
Last edited by re:dream on Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.