Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Logic8807
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by Logic8807 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:10 am

I have 1 Technics 1200 and I was looking at buying another along with the Serato interface and vinyls to learn to start mixing/scratching/juggling and all that.

I saw another thread where guys were going on and on about Virtual DJ and Traktor for the most part. Hardly anyone was suggesting Serato...

What are your opinions on this?
https://soundcloud.com/thegraysmith/asp ... itch-remix

Check me out...let me know what ya'll think.

Ajacky
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by Ajacky » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:19 am

Serato used to be a club standard a few years back but the development of Scratch Live has been very slow lately and it has lost some of that position. There has been some hype though about some future updates but I don't believe anything until I see it. During the last year Serato has focused more on their controller software Serato DJ and I do think that in the controller realm Pioneer DDJ-SX + Serato DJ is a very powerful combination and serious competition to Traktor.

You have to ask yourself what kind of functionality are you looking for in a DJ software. If all you need is the standard functions and want them to work well then Serato still is a very good choice. However for your situation and for the money I would have to suggest you to rather get Traktor with the Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer with as they pack a pretty sweet feature set for a relatively low price.. and this is coming from a Serato fanboy.

Logic8807
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by Logic8807 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:28 am

As snobbish and douche-y as I don't want to sound, money isn't really a huge factor in the decision. I love the feel of vinyl and I already have a 1200.
https://soundcloud.com/thegraysmith/asp ... itch-remix

Check me out...let me know what ya'll think.

boabmatic
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:56 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by boabmatic » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 am

I've been using Serato Scratch Live for DJin since about 2006 with 1200's and Rane mixers.....

generally.... (there are exceptions to the rule before anybody jumps in)
Serato has more of a following in Hip Hop circles (i.e. america)
Traktor has more of a following in dance music (i.e. Europe)
Which is probably why not many folk are talking about serato on here.

Serato had been going through some changes in the last few years which is why public development for Scratch Live has slowed a bit as they introduced ITCH (and now the replacement Serato DJ) which was controller based rather than timecoded vinyl/CD based.

The big thing that everyone is waiting for is the merging of Scratch Live and Serato DJ so that its one program to work on both controllers and Vinyl/CDJ's as there are some new features that are in DJ but not been implemented in Live yet.

serato just released their ipad remote app to work with Scratch live and DJ so there is still good development happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFjTIkBTZqI

Having used Serato for years at all my gigs without issue I find it hard not to recommend it over Traktor even though I've not used it.
Probably the only feature that serato is lacking compared to traktor is the remix decks but that's not enough for me to make the switch.

Plus going back to my first point, I'm a hip hop DJ and all the acts I have done support slots for over the years (Jurassic 5, Pete rock, DJ Premier, pharcyde , lord Finesse etc.... ) have all used serato so when we have went to swap over with their DJ's all that was required was to swap the USB cable between laptops. Only act that has used traktor was Grand Master Flash.

not sure if any of that help you?

forgot one think you can also link serato and ableton together using "The Bridge" so you can trigger/sync ableton to what ever you are mixing with scratch live.
http://serato.com/thebridge

re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by re:dream » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:41 am

One of my favourite techno DJs is Souki, whose sets are based basically on triggering loops live in a single channel, rather than mixing between decks

https://soundcloud.com/souki-1

She is a Serato user & my sense is that it would be difficult to do what she does on Traktor.

I think you would be able to do it on Live tho

102455
Posts: 1633
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by 102455 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 am

Logic8807 wrote:I love the feel of vinyl and I already have a 1200.
Then I would suggest you get a second 1200 and Serato Scratch Live with one of the Rane interfaces.

If you're a lover of vinyl and want to be a turntablist then SSL is the daddy. It's not the only way to do it, but it's a popular choice.

If/then
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by If/then » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:31 pm

If you want to use control vinyl then Serato is a great choice, I've been using my SL3 interface with 1200's for 3 years and never had a single issue. The only reason I would consider Traktor is if I wanted to be able to DJ without a mixer for any reason as it's not possible with Scratch Live. In the UK 95% of DJs I've seen who don't use CDJs seem to use Serato particularly in the bass music scene, at my friend's club night I can only remember 2 people in the last 6 years who used Traktor and 1 was American. I thought about buying Traktor when I started but after talking to some friends and seeing some big name DJs I chose Serato as I thought that if I was playing at the same nights as them I would be immediately familiar with the setup. Quite often I don't even have to take my gear to shows where I live as I know there will already be a SL3 or 4 there, sometimes I don't even bother plugging my Macbook in and just use a USB stick in a friend's computer.

Traktor and Serato are both great bits of technology though and I'm sure either will enable you to do what you want with no stability issues. For me there is nothing more fun than playing the tunes you love with the feel of vinyl under your fingertips!

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:49 pm

In case it wasn't mentioned you can use vinyl with Traktor too. Problem solved.

102455
Posts: 1633
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by 102455 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:57 pm

beats me wrote:In case it wasn't mentioned you can use vinyl with Traktor too. Problem solved.
Yeah.......you can also use vinyl with Virtual DJ and various other DJ software - but Serato Scratch Live is the one considered to be the best choice by (and for) turntablists.

S4racen
Posts: 5232
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 pm
Location: Dunstable
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by S4racen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I use serato, primarily because it didn't offer the sync button which wouldve made me lazy...

With the latest update they've added midi out (albeit a basic version) and the serato remote ipad app which is simply brilliant...

The effects aren't great but i use it with a Rane SL2 so it has all the effects i need...

Being able to record a set as an als file is pretty special imho as i can then go back and make edits and tweak to my hearts desire!

Cheers
D

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:00 pm

102455 wrote:
beats me wrote:In case it wasn't mentioned you can use vinyl with Traktor too. Problem solved.
Yeah.......you can also use vinyl with Virtual DJ and various other DJ software - but Serato Scratch Live is the one considered to be the best choice by (and for) turntablists.


I don’t doubt that but a small percentage of DJs are turntablists and an even smaller percentage of new DJs are interested in doing that.

I totally respect that skill but technology has opened the doors to a new skillset including live looping from mult-bar down to a stutter, stacking 4 tracks at a time, sampling one shots – playing them live – resampling that into a new loop, and all kinds of effects manipulation. There’s a lot more options and new technology doesn’t simply mean abusing the sync button. I think there is an overabundance of new DJs that abuse the sync button and little more than that, thus the hate, but I also think there is an overabundance of old school DJs who refuse to acknowledge or learn the possibilities of the new skillset.

Logic8807
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by Logic8807 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:32 pm

I definitely appreciate all the responses and I've came to a conclusion. One day, I'll learn Traktor and all the newer technologies but for what I'm looking to do, I think Serato is the logical choice.
https://soundcloud.com/thegraysmith/asp ... itch-remix

Check me out...let me know what ya'll think.

docprosper
Posts: 1192
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by docprosper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:40 pm

beats me wrote: I don’t doubt that but a small percentage of DJs are turntablists and an even smaller percentage of new DJs are interested in doing that.

I totally respect that skill but technology has opened the doors to a new skillset including live looping from mult-bar down to a stutter, stacking 4 tracks at a time, sampling one shots – playing them live – resampling that into a new loop, and all kinds of effects manipulation. There’s a lot more options and new technology doesn’t simply mean abusing the sync button. I think there is an overabundance of new DJs that abuse the sync button and little more than that, thus the hate, but I also think there is an overabundance of old school DJs who refuse to acknowledge or learn the possibilities of the new skillset.
+1 on this. OT but all my DJing is either vinyl or with Live, and I've traded beatmatching for all kinds of other time consuming activity while "in the mix" with Live, such as what you've listed above. IMO autosyncing open doors for other creative outlets while mixing...
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:44 pm

docprosper wrote:
beats me wrote: I don’t doubt that but a small percentage of DJs are turntablists and an even smaller percentage of new DJs are interested in doing that.

I totally respect that skill but technology has opened the doors to a new skillset including live looping from mult-bar down to a stutter, stacking 4 tracks at a time, sampling one shots – playing them live – resampling that into a new loop, and all kinds of effects manipulation. There’s a lot more options and new technology doesn’t simply mean abusing the sync button. I think there is an overabundance of new DJs that abuse the sync button and little more than that, thus the hate, but I also think there is an overabundance of old school DJs who refuse to acknowledge or learn the possibilities of the new skillset.
+1 on this. OT but all my DJing is either vinyl or with Live, and I've traded beatmatching for all kinds of other time consuming activity while "in the mix" with Live, such as what you've listed above. IMO autosyncing open doors for other creative outlets while mixing...

Honestly I think some old school DJs are intimidated by the possibilities of the new technology and it’s a lot easier for them to go “NOPE, IT’S A GIANT SYNC BUTTON!” because minute to minute it takes more skill to take full advantage of the new tech compared to just finding the perfect track, beat matching, and blending it. They’re basing their whole outrage on the fact that SOME of their skill is replaced by the precision of a computer.

Donnie
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by Donnie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:52 pm

I think its a good choice if you are looking to do the vinyl thing, especially if you are already used to it and won't miss the other features Traktor has.

Post Reply