Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
102455
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by 102455 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Logic8807 wrote:for what I'm looking to do, I think Serato is the logical choice.
Well done! From the info you gave, it sounded like the right way to go.

Let us know how you get on.

login
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by login » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:45 pm

for traditional mixing? Yes I would even say it's better than traktor since the interface is less cluttered and you wont be using all of its options anyway.

scottie b
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by scottie b » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:51 pm

AUTO-SYNC????
no offense to anyone here
but at that point,i cant defend against what the traditionalist say
thats just
CHEATING
at least if u claim to be a dj
imho...please,no offense intended
if u want to b a creative DJ,
master dj'ing and then add parts of new creativity
dont master shortcuts
or just call yourself something else
i hope people understand

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:10 pm

scottie b wrote:AUTO-SYNC????
no offense to anyone here
but at that point,i cant defend against what the traditionalist say
thats just
CHEATING
at least if u claim to be a dj
imho...please,no offense intended
if u want to b a creative DJ,
master dj'ing and then add parts of new creativity
dont master shortcuts
or just call yourself something else
i hope people understand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIFXRHGYqEA&nomobile=1

4 decks going almost the entire time with frequent song changes. You saying he's not a DJ or he's cheating because he's not manually beat matching? Seems pretty busy and skilled to me.

And that's an old version of Traktor before sample decks existed. More skills to be added.

102455
Posts: 1638
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by 102455 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:55 pm

scottie b wrote:AUTO-SYNC???? thats just CHEATING
I guess you only drive a stick shift because an automatic gearbox is cheating?

You cut your bread by hand because buying it sliced is cheating. You have all your clothing hand made because machine made clothes are just cheating.

:P

re:dream
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by re:dream » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:07 pm

I do want to say it's kind of interesting watching this thread spiral off into flame war territory

Any moment now one of you is going to accuse the other of sounding like his ex

Me, I speak as punter and as a long time clubber

There are two kinds of DJ

and that's NOT people who use the autosync button and those who don't

It's (1) people who are egoistic assholes versus (2) those who aren't

No one gives a fuck how skilled you are, and whether you are beatmatching using the sync button or the pulsating feeling in your scrotum

We care whether you choose nice music and can mix those tunes in a way that brings out the best in the track and takes people on a musical journey. The rest, as far as I am concerned, is just a big fat wank.

Donnie
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:16 pm
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by Donnie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Back in my day we had to hold a needle by hand and cue up through a can on a string. These DJs nowadays just don't have that same connection to the music like we used to have.

re:dream
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by re:dream » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 pm


beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Donnie wrote:Back in my day we had to hold a needle by hand and cue up through a can on a string. These DJs nowadays just don't have that same connection to the music like we used to have.

Further back in the day there was no recorded music and you DJed by alternately conducting between 2 full orchestras.

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by Steve Ballmer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Serato can suck my balls.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

login
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 am

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by login » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 pm

scottie b wrote:AUTO-SYNC????
no offense to anyone here
but at that point,i cant defend against what the traditionalist say
thats just
CHEATING
at least if u claim to be a dj
imho...please,no offense intended
if u want to b a creative DJ,
master dj'ing and then add parts of new creativity
dont master shortcuts
or just call yourself something else
i hope people understand
Bro, you are like 10 years late to the party. nobody cares, get over it.

Ryder17
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:53 pm

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by Ryder17 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Blah blah blah... Seriously, beat matching is an admirable skill but is it a creative one? I would say not.
If getting a computer to do the easy but laborious work of matching tempos makes you a bad dj, then using ableton to make music makes you a worthless musician! Go back and invest in some proper studio time like they did back in the day!..... Or you could just shut up and except that technology is progressing...

divonic
Posts: 430
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by divonic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:10 pm

102455 wrote:
scottie b wrote:AUTO-SYNC???? thats just CHEATING
I guess you only drive a stick shift because an automatic gearbox is cheating?

You cut your bread by hand because buying it sliced is cheating. You have all your clothing hand made because machine made clothes are just cheating.

:P
I understand your point . . but if you are in the water being dragged by a boat can you still call it swimming? :)

Steve Ballmer
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 am

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by Steve Ballmer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:18 pm

A closer analogy would that of a genius inventor who is able to swim with the aid of ninja robotic arms whilst chatting up chicks and puffing on ganja laced with awesome.

If you want to master turntabalism, that's cool. But if you only want to sync, then please, save yourself months of hard work—which could be spent getting laid—and use the tools of your generation.
"Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, don't be afraid to make slurping sounds, and don't take crap from anybody."

jestermgee
Posts: 3980
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:38 am
Contact:

Re: Is Serato really not a good option for a new DJ?

Post by jestermgee » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:04 am

Learning to chop and change beats and moods quickly PLUS some trickery (scratching and nicely timed beat drops etc) is what I love. As was said, couldn't give a fig if he/she is playing from wax cylinders, vinyl or a PC. If I can see and hear the person working with the audience that is what makes a good performer. And if you can also mix in custom drum playing or instruments too then i'm interested.

Personally I love a good scratch artist. Someone that sounds good and has the timing skills to juggle beats and sounds on the fly whether it's direct from real records or via time code (or even CDX). Performance is as important as the content.

Post Reply