Light-Regulation via Midi to DMX-Control

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
wojna

Light-Regulation via Midi to DMX-Control

Post by wojna » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:06 pm

I am using Albleton Live for controlling my Light Effects via Midi in DMX Control on the same computer.
Unfortunately since I got some more LED-PARs in my DMX-Chain the Midi-Data coming from Ableton Live seem to be too "high resolution".
Namely I have a delay in my light-effects when I am drawing curves in the envelope-section of Live which are supposed to dim the light of a PAR and lighten up another one at the same time.
The delay than is over 2 seconds long. So I think that there is too many Midi-information which DMX-Control cannot process so quick.
Is there a chance to quantize the output of an Ableton Midi-Channel so that just every 1/32 for example a controller-value is emitted?
MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core i7 2GHz
4 GB RAM - 500 GB SSD
Enttec DMX USB Pro
Korg nanoKontrol
Ableton Live 9.0.6
DMX Control 2.1 (Parallels)
Arkaos Grand VJ
MolCp III (Midi over Lan)

http://www.diebandbreite.de

Kevin Hamler

Re: Light-Regulation via Midi to DMX-Control

Post by Kevin Hamler » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:24 pm

I had 29 DMX lighting fixtures, Arkaos video, and remote pan/tilt/zoom cameras running on Live control. I kept the timing tight by using quantized CC curves. I manually drew a library of different quantizations and shapes, and used different curves for different effects and tempos. Once you make a library, you can drag and drop them as and when you need them.

Also, some lighting fixtures, especially those with motors, have a slow reaction time. To keep the timing tight, I delayed the audio going to the PA by 250ms (which was the latency of the live video through Arkaos), and delayed each lighting fixture by each fixture's reaction time (for examples, the strobes needed a 50ms delay, so I delayed them by 200ms, scanners needed a 150 ms delay, so I delayed them 100 ms, etc). That way, every lighting fixture and video moved precisely to the beat.
(The artist formerly known as hambone1)