Motu ultralite explodes into wall of white noise

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Motu ultralite explodes into wall of white noise

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Its happening every session now. Ableton looks like its playing along fine but the audio explodes out the motu. Try to reboot the motu and ableton crashes.

Is it an ableton issue a motu issue or a cable issue?

Windows xp live latest live version no max or pluggins being used.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hacktheplanet

Re: Motu ultralite explodes into wall of white noise

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:33 pm

I had this problem a long time ago with XP and Ultralite v1 connected via firewire. The problem was what whatever firewire card I was using didn't have a certain chipset.

Which version of XP are you using?
Which version of Ultralite?
USB or firewire?
What firewire interface are you using?

chase

Post by chase » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:49 am

It could well be just the Motu, they have this problem with a number of their models (I have an 828mk3), they've known for years, and they've never done anything about it. I've had full-blast white noise suddenly coming through my speakers - lovely, that's great for my ears but what do I need ears for? In my case and others it's not a firewire issue or a driver issue or an OS issue, because it's happened to me with no computer (and I use a Mac) attached to the interface. Frankly they're lucky they don't have a class-action lawsuit against them, it's inexcusable to release audio hardware that has a bug that could seriously damage your hearing and then ignore the problem completely.

Try other DAWs, try leaving your computer turned off, try changing your firewire connection - if you still run into the problem, dump that defective piece of crap and get something else.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:28 pm

ive heard of this happening to people with other firewire devices linked up before or after the MOTU.. sucking too much energy..

masterblasterofdisaster

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:06 pm

swishniak wrote:ive heard of this happening to people with other firewire devices linked up before or after the MOTU.. sucking too much energy..
I used to have my Ultralite hooked up after my firewire drive -- it would produce out of control white noise whenever the firewire drive was being written to.

The sudden onset of white noise was alarming, seemingly random, and nearly deafening. Totally uncool, as the the best I can tell, MOTU has nothing to publicly say on the matter.

Solution: I no longer use the firewire drive. Long term solution: acquire non-MOTU audio interface.

Good luck, and keep your ears safe.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:22 pm

This is a Windows issue. The reason 'company's know about these problems for years and never do anything about it' is because there is nothing to be done on their end. The problem is with Windows.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

masterblasterofdisaster

Post by masterblasterofdisaster » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:49 am

nathannn wrote:This is a Windows issue. The reason 'company's know about these problems for years and never do anything about it' is because there is nothing to be done on their end. The problem is with Windows.
The problem occurs on OS X for me.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:02 am

MOTU : Garbage

chase

Post by chase » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:44 pm

nathannn wrote:This is a Windows issue. The reason 'company's know about these problems for years and never do anything about it' is because there is nothing to be done on their end. The problem is with Windows.
No, it is not a Windows issue. I've never owned a Windows box or attached one to my MotU POS, so how is it that I've experienced this problem numerous times?

It's not a Firewire issue either, or at least not exclusively, since I've had the problem with nothing connected to the MotU except speakers. I've never had a Firewire drive attached at the same time either.

Buy something else.

innainna

Post by innainna » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:08 pm

It could be a spdif ports issue: white noise due to bad calibration of the spdif transceivers.
Try searching the web with words spdif white noise motu

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:41 pm

test the audio interface on another machine to be certain....
look to see if there are any firmware updates made by motu for this model