Virus Ti, Push and Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sineman

Virus Ti, Push and Live 9

Post by sineman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi,

I'm having some problems with latency when using Push and Virus Ti Polar at the same time. There's no latency when hitting pads on Push until I put in the Virus Ti plug in in. As soon as its there theres latency when hitting Push. This latency goes if I turn on 'reduced latency when monitoring' or turn off Delay Compensation (which then throws the virus out of sync).

Anybody have any idea whats going on here or any way to get round it.

Anyone got a solid set-up for the Virus Ti and Ableton that works really well?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't have 'reduced latency when monitoring' on if it works?

This happens whether I use the virus as sound card or not.

I do like the Virus but it constantly does weird stuff with Live which i never seem to see the end of.

Many thanks.

Live 9, iMac, OSX10.8.4, Virus OS 5.03.
Macbook Pro 2.16, OSX 10.4.11
Live 6, Logic 7.2.

Tarekith

Re: Virus Ti, Push and Live 9

Post by Tarekith » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:22 pm

My guess is that it's just a bandwidth issue. Both Push and the TI are sending a lot of data back and forth on the same USB buss constantly. If you have multiple USB ports on your computer, try using different ones for both, or switching them if you are.

sineman

Post by sineman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Yes I think you're right. Have swapped Push to another port and seems better although i still have to have 'reduced latency when monitoring' on.

Any reason why that isn't a good idea?
Live 6, Logic 7.2.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:11 am

The TI plugin adds a load of latency to your project depending on how you have things routed. It's such a pain.

sineman

Post by sineman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:11 am

God it really does. How do you have yours routed?

Keep thinking I've come to the end of my tether and I'm going to sell it but don't want to give up!
Live 6, Logic 7.2.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:38 am

We're in the same boat. I have mine routed nowhere :)

With the latency and slowness of no offline rendering, plus the added slowness of having to relisten to everything I recorded with it in case of a click or pop, I just don't use it anymore. It's been my $2000 MIDI keyboard for the past year. I'd love to put it on the auction block myself, but the keys feel so nice! #firstworldpains

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:03 pm

I always just ignored the TI aspect of all my Virii over the years, and connected and recorded them via MIDI and standard audio cables. I only used the TI aspect for librarian functions personally.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:58 pm

I have a TI Snow at this point, used to have a Polar. I created a group with 4 tracks in it, where one track has the TI plugin and the other tracks use external instruments. The last two tracks have the utility device as well, where I convert the left and right output of channel 3 of the TI to a mono signal. That way all 4 tracks are routed to various outputs. I then saved this setup in my user library.

When I want to record my TI I simply create various audio tracks and select the input as a pre fader from one of the Virus' outputs, that way I can record it without any effect devices and volume settings. If I have any effects on the actual Virus track I simply copy them over.

Also, one thing in order to get rid of the latency you should always press the "live" button in the lower left corner. That way while you play your latency will be reduced. Make sure to disable it before you record since otherwise your TI won't be sample accurate.

I agree, it's a bit of work but IMHO it's simpler than other outboard devices and it's worth the hassle because the Virus just sounds so good!

Hope this helps. I am more than happy to share my setup with you of you want. If you have a Polar or something, all you will have to do is replace my Snow plugin with your plugin.

Ken