Microsoft Surface + Live 9 mouse click issue

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
FoNeM

Microsoft Surface + Live 9 mouse click issue

Post by FoNeM » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:51 am

I know there is a debate on whether or not some of the new devices coming out can/should be used for Live and other DAWs, but I have been in love with my Surface Pro since I got it. It's not a replacement for my Macbook Pro by any means, but so far it works great as a portable touch screen PC. I never bought into the tablet fad because they didn't run a full blown OS like the Surface pro does. I've been testing it out to see how it handles and it's doing great so far! I do have a slight issue and I'm not sure if anyone else using a Surface Pro has come across it:

When in desktop mode running Live, I can't seem to click on any of the knobs and change their parameters via click and drag. It automatically maxes out the setting whether I use the Type Pad or my Logitech M505 USB mouse. I also tried a USB keyboard to make sure it wasn't the Type Pad causing the issue. This strange issue isn't limited to Live, however. I've noticed it happening with a couple other programs that have to be run in the Desktop environment. Anyone else have this happen to them?
MacBook Pro: OS X 10.7.5 | 2.4 GHz i7 | 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 | NI Audio 2 DJ |NI Audio 6 | Avid Mbox Mini 2x2 | Pro Tools 10 | Logic Pro | Ableton Live 8 Suite | Traktor

wjbuchanan

Re: Microsoft Surface + Live 9 mouse click issue

Post by wjbuchanan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:56 am

Try setting "Absolute" mode for the cursor in options.txt.

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/opt ... file-live/

Also, see the last post in this thread...Ableton support might have some tips for you, I'm not 100% sure what "display zoom" is on Windows 8.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191066&start=15

Might be this?

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/hands ... ay-scaling

FoNeM

Re: Microsoft Surface + Live 9 mouse click issue

Post by FoNeM » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:30 pm

I actually just figured out the issue last night. After connecting my Surface up to my external LED monitor and opening Ableton, the issue still existed. However, the UI and text was larger than I was used to on my PC and I didn't like the appearance. So I went into the Display properties in Windows 8 and noticed that the text size was set to Large. I bumped it down to Medium and restarted Live 9. The UI was much more manageable this way. I randomly clicked on a Sends knob and was surprised to see that I was able to adjust is like normal! I verified that the text size change fixed the same issue in other desktop applications and everything worked as it should!

Who knew that something seemingly unrelated would affect the mouse in such a way. At least I'm back to a workable PC!
MacBook Pro: OS X 10.7.5 | 2.4 GHz i7 | 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 | NI Audio 2 DJ |NI Audio 6 | Avid Mbox Mini 2x2 | Pro Tools 10 | Logic Pro | Ableton Live 8 Suite | Traktor