Do you consider yourself a composer or producer?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Blendton

Re: Do you consider yourself a composer or producer?

Post by Blendton » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Blendton wrote:Masturbating... Kiddy Vice ...
what? 8O[/quote]

Sorry bro it's from a common french exoression speled "masturbation intellectuelle" which is litterally translated as I'm not a eng-native as you alteady know I guess.

I think if your word ( lazy too check but I believe i'm guessing the rit thing) the word is "negative / pointless procrastination" >>> in psychology and/or psychiatry it describes such this behavior : continue to feel the need to enter the pointless topic.

It's like if I was some weirdo asking you use to play an instrument or if you prefer doing a live without REC using controllers and ... instruments.

It should be taken with healthcare consideration seriously indeed, I don't say some parano shit or something silly in fact the present post comes as one of the results of a study at work about that procrastination behavior.

To finish this other useless post -or not the chice is yours - posting and discussing about being prod or compo thinking >>> stop please, you're a musician doing music so we have both "one ir another" doing music for real and fakes.

End.

Feel free to not answer this and with regards bros (meaning music makers ; and others if any)

:wink:
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:00 pm

I know the phrase. Wouldn't say procrastination, more like over analysing everything to show you are on a deeper level than everyone else instead of just getting on with doing stuff.

However, I do think it's interesting that the traditional way of recording was where you had the artist, the engineer, the producer, the mastering guy etc. But now, everyone tries to do it all.

Of course that's mainly because the likes of me can now afford the tools to give it go, even just for a bit of fun.

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:12 am

andydes wrote:I know the phrase. Wouldn't say procrastination, more like over analysing everything to show you are on a deeper level than everyone else instead of just getting on with doing stuff.

However, I do think it's interesting that the traditional way of recording was where you had the artist, the engineer, the producer, the mastering guy etc. But now, everyone tries to do it all.

Of course that's mainly because the likes of me can now afford the tools to give it go, even just for a bit of fun.
Thanks a lot for this post which helps me and that infamous language barrier ; I was about to continue my argumentation the right way (you know thesis/anti-th./open ending if relevant etc

>>> grrr ^^ gave up (in my job and the specifics involved you may know what "double and different relexion as a self double bind like called in french translated " the Half pos or neg Ratio " ; it means we or I must doing statements despite cocriving this act as ... In ptr times? fact let's say "plague" indeed.

I feel a lot of at risk people to be or develop what I like to name "intel pain" (personality disorders to be clear -the depressive for man subtypes (note "to develop seriously for my work" if one teads carefully and follow r recall the nick of a poster let's say Blendton some monthe ago >>> took time but success sicevI ended by inducing a. Arcissic and / or histrionic-dramatic but never was answered as if the reader fel me doing "acting"

>>> anyway... Srry to you com her if yo get hored sith this off-topic stuff, I just come here to stdy soe behavvirs and have some "vrtual diagnosis never will be but became ner to be easy for pathological or at risk to become path. patterns...

So to return to the music... Nw rit this moment I really don't want to play anythig, I took some tie here, if youvreagedthis endng line and were thinking or have found the above interesting despit being total off-topic it would be .... Utopia or sile bris At LAST culd someday understand a complete and "not so bqd" written thing fro me ? lol...

Regard
Antoine, aka Blendton.

alltomorrowsparties

Post by alltomorrowsparties » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:56 am

Blendton...... sometimes i imagine you as a great intellectual. Other times, i imagine you posting from some form of institution on a hilltop where there is a higher than average probability of lightning strikes and vampires and such....

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:34 am

:|

i imagine someone using a mult login and picking through text to generate such vowel-chanllenged and consonant-crippled dialogue as quoted below. If India or Pakistan was the country... maybe, but France... i have serious doubts.
I just come here to stdy soe behavvirs and have some "vrtual diagnosis never will be but became ner to be easy for pathological or at risk to become path.
is it composing fluff or producing noise? baffling, the verb... or the adjective?

Blendton

AIS

Post by Blendton » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:28 am

H20nly wrote::|

i imagine someone using a mult login and picking through text to generate such vowel-chanllenged and consonant-crippled dialogue as quoted below. If India or Pakistan was the country... maybe, but France... i have serious doubts.
I just come here to stdy soe behavvirs and have some "vrtual diagnosis never will be but became ner to be easy for pathological or at risk to become path.
is it composing fluff or producing noise? baffling, the verb... or the adjective?
OK alors là H2Only tu me déçois ET PAS QU'UN PEU !!!

Que tu me trouves incompréhensible ou je ne sais quoi, que une prétendue "language barrier" soit réelle et non quelque-chose que je lis ou aperçois de façon recurrente uniquement de "votre coté" (je veux dire, ici, nous sommes déjà TRÈS PEU à essayer l'écrit anglais alors imagine quand tu excelles en Français, au point de savoir taper un é en "È" en maintenant alt enfoncé pendant que tu tapes 0200 et relache alt ...

S'il vous plaît les mecs, le taper dans mon français parfait vous rendrait bien plus fous et bien plus rapidement, vous voyez le résultat d'un google translate eng > fr ? Imaginez que dans l'autre sens c'est pire qu'un anime stroboscopique rendant epileptique toute une population au Japon par photo-sensibilité ...

Me soupçonner d'être un piocheur de texte aléatoire, un perdu de je ne sais où genre Inde ou autres, je ne sais pas si c'est ironique, j'ai beau avoir honte de mon pays et sa population, je ne peux accepter une plaisanterie sur mon identité réelle à savoir un être humainb avant tout et ne trouvant aucun plaisir dans le masochisme sinon je ne serais pas soignant en psychiatrie mais "résident" en psychiatrie.

Je suis Antoine Pierre Michel B. né le 10 novembre 1983 à 00h45.

Je ne plaisante pas, ironique ou pas, c'est RÉELLEMENT vexant (0201 pour information le raccourci pour le é accentué aigü en majuscule au lieu du 0200 ci-dessus expliqué pour l'accent grave 'è'.

Merci de ne pas recommencer sans demander non plus de vous excuser, disons que jne vais l'avaler en "humour noir" mais franchement...

Si vous saviez comme il arrive que certains postgs dont précisémentcelui-ci soient DOULOUREUX pour quelqu'un voulant bien faire mais n'ayant jamais aillauers qu'ici essayé l'anglais écrit "comme mon français parfait", je me tue à essayer de ne pas vous "mâcher le travail" tout en essayant quand-même de bien être compréhensible à défaut d'être "a pleasure to read" à cause de mon mpode d'expression "trop parfait en Français" pour savoir sans aide rien qu'en imitant ou essayant de reproduire votre façon de dire beaucoup en si peu de mots...

Bref.

PLEASE NO JOKE ABOUT WHAT IS ANTOINE nicknamed Blendton, if you agree, thank you to reply a little confirmation you get it after translating the above * texte décrivant ma déception / exposant la qualité de mon écrit et ma maîtrise du Français / ...

MAIS AVANT TOUT : QUE J'SUIS HUMAIN BORDEL, QUE OUI j'suis intellectuel c'est carrément gÉNÉTIQUE : mère professeur de Français Grec et Latin (on dit Lettres Classiques) et mon regretté père ingénieur en physique et chimie dans l'armement ... ma soeur docteur en Histoire

Cela suffit ?

Salutations les mecs et si vous pouviez $etre gentil et confirmer que ce "doute" était de l'ironie ... :|
Antoine, aka Blendton.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:16 pm

There was an era when many a living room had pianos, and eventually it became those cheesy electric keyboards. There are a lot of interesting concepts that can go along with that. Such as the standardization of particular timbres for written music.

Today, you can make up your timbres as far away from or close to some kind of semblance of a timbre from the many kinds imprinted within our psyche.

When one composes, they take things, and place them in points of time in relation to each other. Be it time in sequence, in pitch/speed, or a complete clusterfuck of equalization and fx jumbling it.

There can be micro-composition.... Possibly even sound design can fall into that category

Macro composition. That of taking entire pieces of music, and choosing their relationships amongst each other.

I don't even know what I do. I think I fall into the cracks of being someone enthused by the workable concepts of musical technology. I barely actually compose or produce tunes. I just really like seeing new ways for things to be performed, processed, and controlled.

And to perform something, something must be composed. And for a composition to Be, it must be performed, whether by human fingers and tongue, or by the precise reproduction via processor, hard drive, recording tape, vinyl spiralization.

I'm not making any actual statements, just pondering out loud hehe.

I guess the main thing I think about is how composition today is so often spelled out in our own specific timbres, often times for our own specific performance tools. And I feel that because of no standardization, although we can have beautiful and deeply personal results, they can also be as easily dismissed as however long it takes for your YouTube video to end.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:36 pm

language is alive. it shifts and changes. it adapts to local usage.

The term producer is now interchangeable with the word composer or electronic musician in some contexts. So what? It's not 1960 anymore. Imagine traveling back in time to 1995 and telling someone that you "produce EDM music." They would fully understand that by "produce" you actually meant "write" or "compose," but they'd have no idea what the fuck EDM was. They would think that you meant to say IDM and that you made music like aphex twin or that you meant to say EBM and that you wore fishnets on your arms.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:44 pm

I forgot to end my thing with, I WISH ABLETON LIVE WAS IN EVERY LIVING ROOM!

Okay, now I'm done.

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:11 am

Neither. My style is more live improvisation, but if anything I'd be more of a producer, but I lost interest if it takes too long. I've already moved on to a new idea.
Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com