Sorting through samples

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Davey Bumper

Sorting through samples

Post by Davey Bumper » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:07 pm

This is a bold and perhaps stupid question to ask but i think it would be more stupid if i didnt ask it, put in all the donkey work to find there was an easier way.

I have amassed quite a lot of sounds/samples and loops etc to use in ableton. I was wondering if anyone had come across an app where you could load your samples into it, if it could tell you what type of sound it was i.e.. snare , kick etc.

Or if anyone has any tips on how to best organise your library it would be greatly appreciated.

I realise this might be a silly question so please dont bombard me with slagging. If you have something to say that is not helpful to me, kindly keep it to yourself.

darkenedsoul

Re: Sorting through samples

Post by darkenedsoul » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:23 pm

No clue on a tool, but I keep mine either by sample library/directories or put them into folders with types, i.e. Drums->Kick/Snare/Tom/Hats/Cymbals folders for an idea. I have Orchestral - Cinematic and Classical but they are broken down inside by folders so I have to audition them to pick ones I want to work with on a track.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Spectrumdisco

Re: Sorting through samples

Post by Spectrumdisco » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:19 pm

With the new search facility, it really does not matter. The important thing is to ensure that each sample is called something that will bring it up in a search