Can Livkontrol or TouchAble run without wi-fi network?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kristijonas

Can Livkontrol or TouchAble run without wi-fi network?

Post by Kristijonas » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:13 pm

These apps needs wi-fi to communicate. Is it possible to use them in places without any wi-fi router?
SOUNDPROVOCATION
Check out my new release: "Eccentric Grooves"

yur2die4

Re: Can Livkontrol or TouchAble run without wi-fi network?

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 pm

What OS?

I had the problem connecting iPhone to Windows ad hoc ever since I got my iPhone.

Last week I finally got it going on Win 8.

I followed this: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-set-up ... windows-8/

Should work on other Windows too. Be sure to run the command prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR (right clicking command and opening it as admin).

Le k

Post by Le k » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:22 pm

TouchAble can be connected via USB cable if your device is Jailborken and if you buy Mywi , a third app available on Cydia store.
TouchAble App - IOS controller for Ableton Live
http://www.touch-able.com

Sylvain Garcia / Le K Ableton Certified trainer
http://www.ableton.com/pages/education/ ... ain_garcia
http://www.le-k.org

Kristijonas

Post by Kristijonas » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:20 pm

I have OS X here. Thank you, Le k, I'll keep it in mind.
SOUNDPROVOCATION

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Le k wrote:TouchAble can be connected via USB cable if your device is Jailborken and if you buy Mywi , a third app available on Cydia store.
?? Really? Is there no way of getting touchable to connect via USB normally? It's would be proper next gen :wink: haha!

Please make touchable 2 USB connectable! Pretty please!

login

Post by login » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Some of them is posible to use via camerkit>USB or a MIDI iPad interface.

Le k

Post by Le k » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Captain Johnson wrote:
Le k wrote:TouchAble can be connected via USB cable if your device is Jailborken and if you buy Mywi , a third app available on Cydia store.
?? Really? Is there no way of getting touchable to connect via USB normally? It's would be proper next gen :wink: haha!

Please make touchable 2 USB connectable! Pretty please!
Beg Apple for that, we can't break their limitation : we use network and not midi to communicate with Live, APPLE DOESNT ALLOW USING NETWORK THROUGH USB CABLE
TouchAble App - IOS controller for Ableton Live
http://www.touch-able.com

Sylvain Garcia / Le K Ableton Certified trainer
http://www.ableton.com/pages/education/ ... ain_garcia
http://www.le-k.org

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:32 pm

USB cable hooked up to laptop away you go! Get with it apple :P

So I have to get my iPad jailboken to do this!? Hmmmmm well it's the only reason I have one!

Broomptish

Post by Broomptish » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Maybe a stupid question but can you run touchable and lemur at the same time on the same ipad?? I done it with griid and lemur but it was pretty unstable, liine have just released an update which allows run in backround so it should work right?? thinking of getting touchable 2 when it comes out and would like to run livekontrol alongside it, cheers

Liine

Post by Liine » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Kristijonas wrote:These apps needs wi-fi to communicate. Is it possible to use them in places without any wi-fi router?
Yes, it is possible with Lemur and LiveControl 2. They work with hardware cables such as iConnect MIDI, iRig MIDI II, or even the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) and any regular Core Compliant USB interface. No jailbreaking or special procedure necessary, this is standard iOS functions.

Of course, Lemur and LiveControl 2 also support Wi-Fi if you want to control Ableton Live from a distance. But since many professional musicians require no-nonsense hardware cable solutions on stage, we made sure that you don't need Wi-Fi to use Lemur and LiveControl 2. Hardware connections give you the lowest latency possible and the most reliable performance.
Broomptish wrote:Maybe a stupid question but can you run touchable and lemur at the same time on the same ipad?? I done it with griid and lemur but it was pretty unstable, liine have just released an update which allows run in backround so it should work right?? thinking of getting touchable 2 when it comes out and would like to run livekontrol alongside it, cheers
Absolutely! Lemur plays nice with other apps. Lemur has its own MIDI driver over Wi-Fi (Lemur Daemon) which gives you 8 ports, that's 7 more than the standard Network MIDI from Apple. If you prefer hardware connections, see my reply just above about that. Lemur can run in the background so your connections are uninterrupted while you play around in another app.

Kristijonas

Post by Kristijonas » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Thank you, guys. I'm looking forward to get new next generation iPad (or mini) this fall.
SOUNDPROVOCATION

Broomptish

Post by Broomptish » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:46 am

Liine wrote:
Kristijonas wrote:.
Broomptish wrote:Maybe a stupid question but can you run touchable and lemur at the same time on the same ipad?? I done it with griid and lemur but it was pretty unstable, liine have just released an update which allows run in backround so it should work right?? thinking of getting touchable 2 when it comes out and would like to run livekontrol alongside it, cheers
Absolutely! Lemur plays nice with other apps. Lemur has its own MIDI driver over Wi-Fi (Lemur Daemon) which gives you 8 ports, that's 7 more than the standard Network MIDI from Apple. If you prefer hardware connections, see my reply just above about that. Lemur can run in the background so your connections are uninterrupted while you play around in another app.
Excellent sold going to buy touchable now, just when I thought things couldn't get any better with livecontrol this comes out hehe

mikb

Post by mikb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:54 pm

Kristijonas wrote:These apps needs wi-fi to communicate. Is it possible to use them in places without any wi-fi router?
You don't need a router to have a wifi network. If you have a Mac you create a new network in the airport menu and then you connect to this with the IOS unit. I'm sure Windows can create ad-hoc networks too.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

methyl

Post by methyl » Fri May 08, 2015 9:17 pm

Bit of a bump here but LK now does Usb connection on both iOS and Android devices.
*Bleep bloop bleep*

phaded

Post by phaded » Sat May 09, 2015 11:43 am

My experience with LK has not been especially stellar. Used to sell the products as Livkontrol, which was buggy as sh*t and never worked for me. Now renbranded and it still sounds like its buggy as hell, although the interface and functionality is improved. I'm not keen on paying for a product while its essentially a ongoing beta.

Highly reccomend the Lemur/ Pull / Touchable 3 combo. Extra points for having 2 iPads. Even more points if you add more touchscreens as well as bio-hacking a couple of cyborg-arms onto your frame to boot. Can attest to the stability & improvements in workflow with the above mentioned. Mature products and rock solid.

C.E.O. of The Zero-Fucks Commission