TOUCHABLE 2 - First teaser video

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Le k

Re: TOUCHABLE 2 - First teaser video

Post by Le k » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:39 pm

stevemac wrote:
Le k wrote:
stevemac wrote:Hi guys,

I don’t have an iPad so have never tried Touch OSC, Touchable or the Lemur app...

Having watched this video, it does seem to offer so much hands on control, so I’m very tempted to get one! Before I consider this further, could you help me out with understanding which app / if any app can do what I need it to do:

Production: Easy access to all or most of Live’s features – with a layout that resembles Live relatively closely. The Touchable2 video appears to be excellent – is the Lemur app ‘better’ or is it just more customizable??

Performance (most important): I need a relatively simple, but custom designed layout – grid matrix (4 by 6 grid) for clip launching, effects punch in buttons and a 2 faders for each of the 4 DJ channels. Can this be designed easily using any of these apps whilst retaining the clip navigation matrix I need?? On one page as well!

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Oh! And I like to be able to see where the current clips is during playback (like of the page view that you would toggle between FX and the clip itself on the APC40). cheers\!
touchAble offers all of that
Fantastic - why is the Lemur app so much more expensive if the functionality is seemingly so similar?

Are there some key differences / benefits of Lemur?

thanks!
TouchAble is strictly designed (and so compatible) with Ableton Live, Lemur is general OSC/midi compatible.
TouchAble App - IOS controller for Ableton Live
http://www.touch-able.com

Sylvain Garcia / Le K Ableton Certified trainer
http://www.ableton.com/pages/education/ ... ain_garcia
http://www.le-k.org

drez

Post by drez » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:38 pm

3dot... wrote:it's still strange to me how Ableton failed to make their own .... :roll:
IMO, this is exactly why they integrated MAX and offer an API so developers can offer multiple solutions. They focus on the Host software worth more $$$ and let the indie developers build an ecosystem around it that makes people say "wow, look at how easy it is to integrates apps into Ableton" so more people buy Ableton which is worth more $$$ to Ableton then random less $ apps.

There's plenty of money out there to be spent, but only so many dev's at Ableton to make an app for everything. Maybe they will someday, but I don't see the business model in it for Ableton at this point.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

su

Post by su » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:58 am

drez wrote: There's plenty of money out there to be spent, but only so many dev's at Ableton to make an app for everything. Maybe they will someday, but I don't see the business model in it for Ableton at this point.
Personally I like this side effect of the Abe's not making their own app... Spreading the wealth.

m:o

Post by m:o » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 am

will it be possible to use Touchable 2 with a 1st gen. ipad?

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:05 am

Le k wrote:TouchAble is strictly designed (and so compatible) with Ableton Live, Lemur is general OSC/midi compatible.
Great, thanks.

I'm just looking at the options for connectivity - does any of the three apps have any issues with dropouts and general connectivity in a live situation? I need a rugged, reliable solution so it would be reallymgoodmto know if either have any issues?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:33 am

the most reliable connection is a wired one, but Touchable can only do that with a jailbroken iPad.

i'm wondering: will Touchable work with one of the new iConnectMIDI2+ devices?

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:38 am

can it reach follow action parameters?

and hardware i/o

please! :lol:

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Follow actions aren't exposed to the live Api as far as I'm aware...

Cheers
D

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:56 pm

thanks,

that is lame!

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:09 pm

stevemac wrote:[ does any of the three apps have any issues with dropouts and general connectivity in a live situation? I need a rugged, reliable solution so it would be reallymgoodmto know if either have any issues?
ive been using the current version of touchable in live situations for the past year and it has never crashed during a show (have used it for around 30 shows ?).. sometimes was hard to set up (reboot this or that), but has always been very stable over a wifi (personal network). highly recommended. and very curious to see what they are cooking up next.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:13 am

swishniak wrote:
stevemac wrote:[ does any of the three apps have any issues with dropouts and general connectivity in a live situation? I need a rugged, reliable solution so it would be reallymgoodmto know if either have any issues?
ive been using the current version of touchable in live situations for the past year and it has never crashed during a show (have used it for around 30 shows ?).. sometimes was hard to set up (reboot this or that), but has always been very stable over a wifi (personal network). highly recommended. and very curious to see what they are cooking up next.
This is good news, stability is a major need!

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:16 am

quote="Le k"]
stevemac wrote: Performance (most important): I need a relatively simple, but custom designed layout – grid matrix (4 by 6 grid) for clip launching, effects punch in buttons and a 2 faders for each of the 4 DJ channels. Can this be designed easily using any of these apps whilst retaining the clip navigation matrix I need?? On one page as well!

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Oh! And I like to be able to see where the current clips is during playback (like of the page view that you would toggle between FX and the clip itself on the APC40). cheers\!

Just going back on the custom layout - I need the grid to navigate the set like standard session view, but a smaller matrix and then setup faders and alike for the FX that I use. I just wanted to make sure the custom grid matrix is like session view rather than a drum rack??

thanks!

Chris / touchAble

Post by Chris / touchAble » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Hey Steve,
You would be able to use a split screen setup:
half a page for the scrollable clip matrix (you can set it to be 4x6)
and another half page for all your custom controls with faders, buttons, xypads.
If you need more space for your custom controls, it is very fast & easy to switch to another set of controls, or to occupy the whole screen with your custom layout and switch back when you need to launch a clip.

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Chris / touchAble wrote:Hey Steve,
You would be able to use a split screen setup:
half a page for the scrollable clip matrix (you can set it to be 4x6)
and another half page for all your custom controls with faders, buttons, xypads.
If you need more space for your custom controls, it is very fast & easy to switch to another set of controls, or to occupy the whole screen with your custom layout and switch back when you need to launch a clip.
Thanks dude, that sound ideal :)

Is the waveform (clip view) available as well?

triant

Post by triant » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:15 pm

hey touch-abes! any news? i've got ants in ma pants.