Rob Papen's SubBoomBass

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cpyatak

Rob Papen's SubBoomBass

Post by cpyatak » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Anybody out there using this software? I'm looking into making the purchase and would love some feedback from any live users, particularly regarding Live's performance with it and what kind hit your system resources take when using it.

Thanks,

Chris

Because789

Re: Rob Papen's SubBoomBass

Post by Because789 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:22 pm

What's wrong with testing the demo version for yourself (http://www.robpapen.com/subboombass-demo.html)? Whatever answer you get here there is no guaranty that you'll get the same results with your system specs and your Live sets.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:50 pm

I use it. I luv it. I recommend it.
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:53 pm

I am also a happy customer. I don't have any performance problems with it but that is system specific so your mileage may vary.

mikb

Post by mikb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:06 am

I tried the demo but I never felt that I could get enough body and that it didn't sit well in the mix, also with sidechaining (letting the kick trough, which allowed me to raise the bass a bit) and using Glue compression. On their own the basses sounded good, but not in the mix. With other synths I didn't have these issues.

I found it to be the same with Punch, but with drum sounds it's easier to do simple things to give them body and space to live in.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

mescalin

Post by mescalin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:51 am

with no experience of the product i would say you could probably achieve anything in it, when it was developed, by his own confession it was capable of non-bass sounds, all synths are

people who think one synth sits better or works in a mix better are usually debating apples and oranges, if you can't get it to work you have to work harder xD

so I did use predator which is what that is based on, nowadays I use ni massive and sampler mostly

a sine and square wave is the same sine or square wave in any vst and they're the real tools for cutting bass through a mix, what you should never believe is what the plugin manufacturers want you to believe, that their sine wave is somehow more powerful than other sine waves.... also you can alway open another channel or create an instrument track if you need more oscillators.

People seem to market these products like they can achieve "MORE" bass, so in reality the most bass your speaker can achieve is the sine wave, the rest of the perception is all the top end and stuff, the parts that ironically mean you ultimately loose bass... of course you have to loose some as your music would be pretty boring, also the bass would lack any character if just a perfect sine wave. I should point out a square wave has top end in it because of the sharp changes in level, it's less bassey, but cuts through and sounds more loud

Ableton 8, NI Massive, Max 4 Live, other stuff

mikb

Post by mikb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:42 am

mescalin wrote:
a sine and square wave is the same sine or square wave in any vst and they're the real tools for cutting bass through a mix,
Nothing of that makes much sense in this context. The final sound is not basic waves, but is the totality of signal processing and the instruments reactions to being played. It's the final sound and how easily you can achieve that which counts.
I'd assume you can get decent sound from any source if you got the tools to bring out what you want, but not every synth supplies the exact same tools for this. Some synth plugs are excellent and most are just decent.

I had great expectations for SubBoombass, but it didn't work for me. On paper it looks perfect, but I can get better sounding (to me) basses working on the Live synths. Someone else may be better equipped working with SubBoomBass to bring out the sounds they want.
Last edited by mikb on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basic gear info: Macbook Pro with macOS 10.12, Ableton Live Suite version 9 (64bit) with Ozone, Push and APC20 as controllers.

tintala

Post by tintala » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:39 pm

I use it in every project. I love the warmth it has, also it's not a bad percussive synth, not to mention the sequencer can be modified and you can get some amazing textural loops going with it.. chuck on a psp vintage warmer, or camel phat ,and you have yourself an incredibly warm a full sounding bass like insturment, I must say I use it for percusssive loops as much as bass. and the sub basses are very nice.. I love this VSt and go thru the sample bank all day long and tinker with it...

Personally I think it can add a special sound to your mix due to it's versatility. And it has alot of wavetables that most synths DO NOT.. for example, buffalow wav. , frame drum wav.. djembe wav., there are others that just add some punch to the sound... add an xciter or transient shaper and voila.

but the downside of it is, I cannot seem to get enough volume out of it!! i have had this problem since the beginning, it just does not seem to have the output to get it to be loud.

mikb

Post by mikb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:13 pm

tintala wrote: but the downside of it is, I cannot seem to get enough volume out of it!! i have had this problem since the beginning, it just does not seem to have the output to get it to be loud.
Output volume was not my problem as I maximized it and still found the sounds I could build lacking.

Did you triy adding separate distortion and/or compression after SubBoomBass?