How slapdash are you with EQing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Bagatell

How slapdash are you with EQing?

Post by Bagatell » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:58 pm

I can't hear much over 13khz and have no interest in learning how to use equalisers. Will my audience notice if I don't bother?

Mirthan

Re: How slapdash are you with EQing?

Post by Mirthan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:55 pm

Of course not. If they can't hear.

Seriously though,eq can either make or break a track. It's really important. So,having no interest in learning it is not a very smart decision.
(Pm me if you need something. Always down to help.)

My social things:
https://soundcloud.com/mirthan
https://twitter.com/iamMirthan

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:25 am

Actually it surprises me how little I use it these days really. Mostly it's just in the bottom end to give kick and bass priority and allow them to work together.. although I do this on almost every track

but unless there is some kind of harsh sound higher up (usually between 2-5k) then I don't really seem to do much EQing to higher freqs

maybe that's because I've got more used to which sounds work well together and choose them to fit? I don't know

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:11 am

Ditto, I might only use a handful of EQs on a track I write myself, though I noticed I use a lot more when mixing other people's music. I think it's just getting to know how to shape your sounds earlier on in the process, knowing what things will go together easier than others. Experience I guess.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

tekkers

Post by tekkers » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:46 pm

yeah i agree with what's been generally said, its all about picking/creating sounds that don't need much processing in the first place..

i find that if i am using eqs in each channel, i end up doing lots of little boosts here and there, and before you know it, it's a mess..

best just to have the sounds working together in the first place, and just add eq on the master... just abit :D

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Mirthan wrote:Of course not. If they can't hear.

Seriously though,eq can either make or break a track. It's really important. So,having no interest in learning it is not a very smart decision.
I got the rest of my shiz down. Missing a few little things won't hurt..