Built my first computer... and HOOBOY I GOTS A HUGE PROBLEM!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mint Invader

Built my first computer... and HOOBOY I GOTS A HUGE PROBLEM!

Post by Mint Invader » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:44 pm

After many years I finally went from my macbook pro handling all my production and performance needs to splitting the tasks between a tower and a laptop.

And Im getting really really really annoying feedback on my speakers. And the internet seems clueless on the matter. Its not exactly ground noise... more computer EMI noise or something.

So heres the deal. I have Yamaha h50's plugged into a komplete audio 6, which is plugged into usb 2 on the tower.

The tower itself is plugged into a surge protector opposite wall of the speaker surge protector.

Now, from my research I have learned the following. I can:

A: Buy a nicer USB cable... if so which kind.
B: Buy another usb audio interface for home that may or may not be able to handle the problem.
C: Kill myself.

Seriously, what are my options. I have NO CLUE what to do and what causes the issue. As the computer is working I can HEAR the buzzes and whirls of the components PROJECTED through my speakers.

I will owe sexual favors to the one who solves my dilemma.
Because Whatever.

Angstrom

Re: Built my first computer... and HOOBOY I GOTS A HUGE PROBLEM!

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Have you tried moving the komplete audio away from the tower, changing its orientation, and generally waving it around? If so does that affect the quality of the sounds?

IE is this radio transmitted interference?

If it remains the same then its just coming down the cable

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Ive put it on top of the machine unplugged and no interference comes through (while still connected to the speakers of course)
Because Whatever.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:06 pm

Is the NI interface bus powered? If so, try a decent usb2 cable with a ferrite clip on it.
If that doesn't work, try a power conditioning 4-way with your tower, monitors and maybe interface plugged into it. I have this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000PS5700

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Mint Invader wrote:Ive put it on top of the machine unplugged and no interference comes through (while still connected to the speakers of course)
Yes, but you need to try waving it around while its all connected, preferably using a long cable so you can really try some weird positions and see if it changes what you hear. The reason is : unplugin the USB might be decoupling the output stage, so it might still be picking up EMI but the output amp is shut off so it sounds quiet.

Try a long cable, and wave it around.

You need to see if its a radio or cable/wire issue

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:12 pm

garyboozy wrote:Is the NI interface bus powered? If so, try a decent usb2 cable with a ferrite clip on it.
If that doesn't work, try a power conditioning 4-way with your tower, monitors and maybe interface plugged into it. I have this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000PS5700
Doesnt that effectively put a lowpass on the signal?

Also for something like that... Im US. So... UK config may be challenging.
Last edited by Mint Invader on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because Whatever.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Mint Invader wrote:Ive put it on top of the machine unplugged and no interference comes through (while still connected to the speakers of course)
Yes, but you need to try waving it around while its all connected, preferably using a long cable so you can really try some weird positions and see if it changes what you hear. The reason is : unplugin the USB might be decoupling the output stage, so it might still be picking up EMI but the output amp is shut off so it sounds quiet.

Try a long cable, and wave it around.

You need to see if its a radio or cable/wire issue
Well, what are my options either way. I have moved the unit all over and around my desk and the signal did stay the same.
Because Whatever.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:32 pm

I have this same problem, on a laptop. It happens when I plug in my power supply.

My workaround at home is using two entirely different wall outlets. They must somehow not interfere with each other. One for speakers/amp/mixer, one for computer/monitor.

When I am out, I am fucked and have to use battery power :/

....but if anyone has any suggestions.

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Are you upstairs above any lighting system? I had a problem with mystery noise for a long while which drove me insane - turned out to be lighting for the kitchen below which was routed under my floor. Weird house wiring can be a big deal for noise.

The only other suggestion is isolation. The usb cable wont introduce noise as far as I know. Its not an audio cable susceptible to interference. Its sending 1s and 0s. There could be a power issue though if its damaged.

Not all usb ports are powered equal, try different ports.

Are you using balanced cables for the speakers?

At what time does the noise start? Get really specific and maybe someone will know.

Does noise start -

With the speakers on -

When you turn the computer on

When you turn the interface on.

With the speaker cables connected.

When you record

When you play back normal audio

When you play a set in ableton.

Does the noise happen through headphones on your Interface?

Could you connect up and mp3 player with a jack directly to the speaker and see what happens?

TO be honest, the vibe Im getting is that somethings wrong with the interface.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Noise is consistent, when the computer is on and plugged into it. Chaning volume on the speakers does not affect volume coming out of them (noise wise)

The setup works with the laptop plugged in, but not with the computer. So it has been narrowed down to an issue with:

A:Computer (PSU, USB, EMI, WHATEVER)
B:The Cable (Not fancy enough)
C:The interface (Does not handle EMI properly)

DO NOTE: The headphone port on the audio 6 does not give off these artifacts.
Because Whatever.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:46 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I have this same problem, on a laptop. It happens when I plug in my power supply.

My workaround at home is using two entirely different wall outlets. They must somehow not interfere with each other. One for speakers/amp/mixer, one for computer/monitor.

When I am out, I am fucked and have to use battery power :/

....but if anyone has any suggestions.
Already did that. It helped... but did not eliminate the problem.
Because Whatever.

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Yeah it sounds like you're picking up line noise from something in the house and or maybe a bad ground somewhere. Did you assemble the case for the new tower?

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:52 pm

deepdirtydub wrote:Yeah it sounds like you're picking up line noise from something in the house and or maybe a bad ground somewhere. Did you assemble the case for the new tower?
It came pre assembled. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119265

Could it be my choices in powerstrips? I went to radioshack in a rush.
Because Whatever.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Mint Invader wrote:
deepdirtydub wrote:Yeah it sounds like you're picking up line noise from something in the house and or maybe a bad ground somewhere. Did you assemble the case for the new tower?
It came pre assembled. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119265

Could it be my choices in powerstrips? I went to radioshack in a rush.

Edit: Probably going to pick up a battery backup surge from bestbuy today to see if that does better.
Because Whatever.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:05 pm

^ that fixed the issue for me some years ago.

the suggestion to use a different wall outlet would probably work too, but the surge protector/battery backup will clean up the electricity and stabilize it... which will make everything hooked to it have a better chance of a long and, hopefully, quiet life.

good luck!