Built my first computer... and HOOBOY I GOTS A HUGE PROBLEM!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mint Invader

Re: Built my first computer... and HOOBOY I GOTS A HUGE PROBLEM!

Post by Mint Invader » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 pm

moonpie wrote:
Mint Invader wrote:
moonpie wrote:Could be a p state issue with your processors - try this - switching minimal processor speed on charging to 100% http://superuser.com/questions/323738/w ... management . This works for vista and up. If youre on xp youll have to get a 3rd party program to do it.

Also while youre in that dialog, change any usb settings to stop them from sleeping/power saving.

Also check your bios for any weird power saving techniques, best bet is pop open bios, write down any options you can change, then google them and what the effect of switching them is.

Definitely think youre barking up the wrong tree with the usb cable - that 'high end' gold plated usb nonsense is marketing bullshit. Im sure someone will back me up on this. All you need to be sure is that your usb cable works 100%. It either works or it doesnt. If it isnt working, it wont provide the right amount of power or itll cut out. It simply wont introduce noise like an audio cable, and as youve proven, the headphone out is perfect. So dont waste money that way.

Try this - with you headphones on low, connect your headphone port to a speaker - see if the noise presents itself.
Good to know about the usb.

As of now it seems that the farther away the usb port I plug into (away from psu) and the farther away the power chord from the monitors power chords... lessens the problem.

God this is insanely frustrating.

I did fiddle with power settings the other night. I did notice a drop in noise when I set things to power saver. And when I changed it to high performance the noises were near constant.

At least this is narrowing it down more.

Edit: Ill take some pictures of the rig, placement, cables, and load them up to give you guys a better idea of whats working and whats not.

Ok, if you are noticing a difference with it set to power saver - you can narrow down the problem even more in that settings pane I gave. So - under the power saver settings, write all of them down. You can recreate the exact same settings one by one under high performance, and find out exactly which one is helping.

Power Saver, Balanced, High Performance are all just preset names, and after a user changing the inner settings can have no relation to their actual name. So one by one, you can make 'high performance' have the settings of 'power saver'. Zero advantage doing this - Except, it helps you narrow down the problem. What specific aspect of power saving is helping the situation. (take down the high performance settings 1st!)

If power saving is making a big diff - that could point to processor interference. What processor are you using? I would google "my processor weird interference speakers" or something to that effect. People might be experiencing it in non critical audio situations so wont be on music forums.

What else... we're pretty much running through every possible audio noise that there is! :)

Disable the built in soundcard. Thats an obvious one. Do that through device manager. Right click, or double click and disable - not uninstall. Itll be somewhere there.

Ive heard of conflicts between different parts of hardware using the same internal power source - or some windows number thing I cant remember. Anyways - Disable the cd drive. The wifi card. Sound card. Do that all through device manager. You can always enable a second later - you never know!

Last idea if it hasnt been suggested, get a lend of a powered usb hub. Must be powered. Check it then. Or buy one, they go really cheap on amazon, and youll find a use for it eventually even if it doesnt work.

USB hub (powered) didnt help. I did disable the onboard soundcard and I removed the wireless pci card... but to no avail.

When I get home Ill try out further tweaking power settings.
Because Whatever.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Balanced cables from your KA6 to your powered monitors should fix your problem.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Martyn wrote:Balanced cables from your KA6 to your powered monitors should fix your problem.
I have these http://www.mogamicable.com/category/pro ... _15_20.php
Because Whatever.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 pm

http://youtu.be/YyYb266R2-M
http://youtu.be/ktEQVp2Iufk
http://youtu.be/zczzFBtbhA8

First link mentions Hum x.

Second shows a cheaper option using car stereo equipment.

Third link.. Uhh, I don't even know.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:38 pm

Mint... you've had some really good suggestions in this thread and many of them would have solved the issue in other scenarios...

so i'm trying to think of a common denominator here... the PC power supply??

i can't recall if you said the issue goes away with headphones, if so, that rules out the above suggestion. :(

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:05 pm

http://www.native-instruments.com/knowl ... loop%29%3F

NI's advice for ground loops...

I saw advice on another forum that recommended not using the third prong on your power plug temporarily, to see if that is indeed the source of the problem.

But they also recommended only doing that temporarily, as you wouldn't want to risk damaging your system.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:03 pm

So I made major improvements over the last evening. Still will be some minor tweaks but the major improvement came from

Disabling:
C1E
E1ST
C3
C6

states in my bios... its some power regulation crap that makes all the bad noise.
Because Whatever.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:19 pm

Basicly how I felt after solving the scooby doo mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... CnC0#t=102
Because Whatever.

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:05 am

moonpie wrote:
Also check your bios for any weird power saving techniques, best bet is pop open bios, write down any options you can change, then google them and what the effect of switching them is.

Totally Called it everyone! ha!

What do I win? :p Glad youre sorted! Happy music making.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:53 pm

moonpie wrote:
moonpie wrote:

Totally Called it everyone! ha!

What do I win? :p Glad youre sorted! Happy music making.
My undying gratitude.

Its funny how drastically that improved the situation. Then by moving the tower power to another outlet noise is 100% gone.
Because Whatever.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:36 pm

:D + moving tower power... so, what's the prize for the assist solution?

glad you figured it out... nothing like building a new DAW only to have it mock you sonically and stir up feelings of regret...

Enjoy your victory!!

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:50 pm

H20nly wrote::D + moving tower power... so, what's the prize for the assist solution?

glad you figured it out... nothing like building a new DAW only to have it mock you sonically and stir up feelings of regret...

Enjoy your victory!!
I shall celebrate my victory with a house to dnb track.

Because whatever.
Because Whatever.

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:55 am

Mint Invader wrote:So I made major improvements over the last evening. Still will be some minor tweaks but the major improvement came from

Disabling:
C1E
E1ST
C3
C6

states in my bios... its some power regulation crap that makes all the bad noise.
Wow, they keep adding more crap to a BIOS. Too bad there weren't two setting 1)DAW friendly, 2) Who gives shit.