Resampling into live is volume-weak - solutions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
filter_7

Resampling into live is volume-weak - solutions?

Post by filter_7 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi, if you resample in an audio track with 'resampling' input method you got an audio file with a very weak volume compared to the original.

If I put a limiter into that sampled track with +9db gain I have the same volume of the original, but i think this way some dynamics are lost...

I know this is a know issue in Live, do you have better solutions for that?

filter_7

Re: Resampling into live is volume-weak - solutions?

Post by filter_7 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:16 am

any ideas?

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Doesn.t resampling take its level from the master out?

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:31 pm

I agree, you would lose an extreme amount of dynamic range if you need to limit at +9dB.
How about sending the audio of the track you want to resample to the input of another track, possibly omitting any loss? IDK?

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:31 pm

You're not necessarily losing anything if you're just using the Limiter to boost the gain without hitting any peaks, you could also just turn the gain up on the clip or use a Utility instead.

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:45 am

@bodhi71: I sent many tracks into an audio track to sample, but the result is the same, weak volume.

@massenmedium: don't you think that is not the same thing? I mean between two samples, one with normal volume and the other with +9db to reach the same level?

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:10 pm

filter_7 wrote:Hi, if you resample in an audio track with 'resampling' input method you got an audio file with a very weak volume compared to the original.
If I resample in an audio track with 'resampling' input method I got an audio file with no such very weak volume compared to the original.

I have tried all three Bit Depths in Live's Record Preferences. I had a vague suspicion there...

The recorded (resampled) files at 16, 24 and 32 bit all peaked within 1dB off the original.

No idea what's happening at your end.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:54 pm

if this problem would be real, i would recommand to put
Tape it! VST http://www.silverspike.com/?Products:TapeIt
on the channel.

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Yes they are different - one is quieter! ;-)

I was replying in part to the post above mine which seemed to assume you were limiting to -9dB. You may be but from what you've said it seemed more like you were just boosting the level. At 24bit this may not be a significant issue for sound quality. But you do probably need to look into why the level is low in the first place - that's a bit weird.

Have you tried a very simple test - one audio clip playing and using resample into another track?

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:47 am

massenmedium wrote: Have you tried a very simple test - one audio clip playing and using resample into another track?
Yes, i compared the 2 sounds (original and resampled) putting the resampled one in another track with the same track volume, but nothing, i got a lower level.

I should check my audio card settings, but I thought it was a common issue in Live, maybe i'm wrong; if someone else got this problem please let me know.

@Tagor: using a VST recorder the resmpled level is identical (!).

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:10 pm

I think it unlikely that the audio card settings would have an effect on that as the resampling is done internally in Live.

One other thought - is there anything on your Master bus that could be affecting the level - a Limiter maybe? What you gte when resampling is what would be coming out of the main output bus, so that's what affects the overall level. Master level at 0dB with a Limiter at 0dB would be fine.

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:25 pm

massenmedium wrote:I think it unlikely that the audio card settings would have an effect on that as the resampling is done internally in Live.
You're right, the audio card don't affect the resample process...
massenmedium wrote: One other thought - is there anything on your Master bus that could be affecting the level - a Limiter maybe? What you gte when resampling is what would be coming out of the main output bus, so that's what affects the overall level. Master level at 0dB with a Limiter at 0dB would be fine.
I have nothing on the master track, no fx anywhere :(

It's very strange...

S Francis

Post by S Francis » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:14 am

Figured it out!

This was bothering me too but it's just because the resampling track does indeed take whatever is coming out of the Main (Master) output as someone stated above. If that output is set to -6db for example the resample will be -6db quieter. Simple fix I think, just put the Main output at unity and it should be good. Thought I was losing my mind for a bit there haha.