Audio crackling with new i7 build.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
anra

Audio crackling with new i7 build.

Post by anra » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:25 am

Hi,

My issue is some audio crackling/distortion. DPC latency checker is all the way green, 40-90 when Live is running with 32-256 samples. When I use low latency like 32 samples I can play without crackling or spikes this Live Set .als which is included in Live Help's Whats New in Live 9. When I open browser I got audio crackling when I scroll web pages. If I up the samples to 128 I still hear same thing. Even 256 might give distort too but not so obvious. Now when checked latency monitor it has spiked to 600-1000.

Some larger projects (even with LAN disabled) there is audio crackling, probably due the graphics when iZotope Ozone's EQ has the graphical animation movements.

I uninstalled Intel graphics drivers and tried same things as earlier with the default 640x400(?) resolution. Crackling is still there but not that over bearing.

Seems like the integrated HD 4600 is the culprit? I don't have any PCI/PCIe Graphics card to test alternatively. I have tried some Bios settings, like disabling EIST and some other CPU power settings but they did not have any impact. Any ideas, suggestions are welcomed.

Windows 7 pro. High performance settings/power enabled.
Live 9.06 Suite
Asus z87-k (does not have WLAN, only LAN)
Intel i7 4770 w/ integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics
8GB DDR3
Texas Instruments chip FW PCI card, probably Belkin.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 14

Mint Invader

Re: Audio crackling with new i7 build.

Post by Mint Invader » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:46 pm

I just had a "New computer audio issues need halp" situation not to long ago.

Does the audio crackling only happen within ableton? or is it present during regular comp use.
Because Whatever.

anra

Post by anra » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:01 pm

When DAW is closed and I am browsing while playing 1080p Youtube music video or VLC player with MP3 I am yet not able to reproduce any serious crackling. Probably a small pop or two.
Mint Invader wrote:I just had a "New computer audio issues need halp" situation not to long ago.

Does the audio crackling only happen within ableton? or is it present during regular comp use.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Im convinced that this problem is with Windows and its bad handling of usb audio interfaces and has nothing to do with hardware or any other drivers.
Microsoft acknowledged the issue at one point and released a "hotfix" but the problem with white noise burst and crackling still persist.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:34 pm

nathannn wrote:Im convinced that this problem is with Windows and its bad handling of usb audio interfaces and has nothing to do with hardware or any other drivers.
Microsoft acknowledged the issue at one point and released a "hotfix" but the problem with white noise burst and crackling still persist.
So here is my epic checklist that FINALLY got my solution. May or may not work for you, may or may not be any of these things. But trust me. These are huge.

1. Check all drivers, audio and visual.
2. Check power cables. Try to have them plugged into different outlets and sockets (computer and speaker) and see if proximity changes anything.
3. Turn off power management. Seems like some mobos/usbs/intergrated cards or whatever can create audio artifacts... dunno why but there you are.
4. CHECK BIOS SETTINGS - Turn off all power managment settings. C1E, E1ST, C3, C6. This helped me the most out of anything. But its good to check the other stuff first.
5. Balanced output - it can help...

Seriously I would try the bios before the other stuff. It seems weird but it worked for me.
Because Whatever.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:51 pm

A system tweak is usually hit or miss with Windows. Usually what happens is the user will do a tweak and the problem will go away or the user wont do anything and Windows works it self out but, when adding something new to the computer in the future or doing other system tweaks the problem comes back. Windows 8& 8.1 seem to be the absolute worst operating system for handling external sound cards.

For years I have used different combinations of computer/audio interface (with almost every known tweak) and with every computer running Windows I have had problems with white noise burst and crackling. Like I said sometimes the problem will go away for a year or so but will return when I add something new to the system (I.E. new operating system, ram , hard drive, display drivers) I really feel the problem with Windows handling usb/external sound cards has not been fixed and I would only use a Windows based system in a home studio setting.

I have read about people getting better performance with a "hackintosh" than with windows, This is something I may try building in the future.
Last edited by nathannn on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:54 pm

nathannn wrote:A system tweak is usually hit or miss with Windows. Usually what happens is the user will do a tweak and the problem will go away or the user wont do anything and Windows works it self out but, when adding something new to the computer in the future or doing other system tweaks the problem comes back. Windows 8& 8.1 seem to be the absolute worst operating system for handling external sound cards.
For years I have used different combinations of computer/audio interface (with almost every known tweak) and with every computer running Windows I have had problems with white noise burst and crackling. Like I said sometimes the problem will go away for a year or so but will return when I add something new to the system (I.E. new operating system, ram , hard drive, display drivers) I really feel the problem with Windows handling usb/external sound cards has not been fixed and I would only use a Windows based system in a home studio setting.
Agreed.
Because Whatever.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:04 am

edited n/m, see below
Last edited by eyeknow on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:09 am

Wait a minute.........am I to understand you are NOT using a separate VGA? That is not a good idea. A good fanless card (I'd do nvidia) is recommended. If I've misunderstood, sorry.

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:33 am

I recently put my USB interface (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6) on its own powered USB 2.0 hub as a last resort with crackles and crashing (win7 64bit i7 build). No other devices plugged into the hub seems to be the big factor.

Not one crackle or crash in 2.5 weeks of 1-4 hours use per day!

Schmidi

anra

Post by anra » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:38 pm

I've tried all of those and did not help. I loaned USB2.0 interface and tried same projects from Live or Reaper that I had with my Focusrite Firewire interface. This M-audio Fast Track Ultra was a lot better regarding crackling. It was usable.
Mint Invader wrote:
nathannn wrote:Im convinced that this problem is with Windows and its bad handling of usb audio interfaces and has nothing to do with hardware or any other drivers.
So here is my epic checklist that FINALLY got my solution. May or may not work for you, may or may not be any of these things. But trust me. These are huge.

2. Check power cables. Try to have them plugged into different outlets and sockets (computer and speaker) and see if proximity changes anything.
3. Turn off power management. Seems like some mobos/usbs/intergrated cards or whatever can create audio artifacts... dunno why but there you are.
4. CHECK BIOS SETTINGS - Turn off all power managment settings. C1E, E1ST, C3, C6. This helped me the most out of anything. But its good to check the other stuff first.

Seriously I would try the bios before the other stuff. It seems weird but it worked for me.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:39 pm

anra wrote:I've tried all of those and did not help. I loaned USB2.0 interface and tried same projects from Live or Reaper that I had with my Focusrite Firewire interface. This M-audio Fast Track Ultra was a lot better regarding crackling. It was usable.
Mint Invader wrote:

If I may ask... which audio driver are you using btw.
Because Whatever.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:21 am

same probleme here and i tried everything like drivers, new audio interface, onboard vga (hd 4700 on haswell), gtx260, new power adapter, another hdd, every bios tweak, power options, new cables, different ubs ports or only audio interface connected, pci usb card, usb 3, usb 2, powered usb hu. i also tried a complete new system with a i7 and there are the same problems ;-)

i hope there will be the chance one day to fix this, maybe new ports like thunderbolt because usb is really shit (or the drivers)

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 am

I would regard this a quite well-known tweak, but as it has not
been mentioned in this post: Have you disabled the core parking ?
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)