Kick Drum tuning

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Down8ch

Kick Drum tuning

Post by Down8ch » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:25 am

I wanted to ask something specific about kick drum tuning that didn't come up in my initial search. The style of kick that I want to work with is massively heavy in the distortion department, or something akin to hardstyle. I've noticed that in a variety of tunes in that genre, the kick is tuned based on the bass and chord changes in the track. Meaning the kick drum is essentially its own bass line.

Apart from mapping a kick sound to be playable across the keyboard, are there any tricks or ninja macro techniques for tuning the kick to the chord progression?

beats me

Re: Kick Drum tuning

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Funk N! There are songs out there where just the kick is the bass line.

I think having the kick mapped across a range of keys would be the easiest option if you want frequent pitch changes or experimenting with different pitches. A lot easier to play it in instead of drawing in automation IMO.

beats me

Re: Kick Drum tuning

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:25 pm

There’s the 808 kick of early Hip Hop fame. As far as I know that was just the kick played on different notes and not a single kick with a bass sound layered on top of it.