waves vs live 9 suite effect devices | ozone also

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
doom_Oo7

Re: waves vs live 9 suite effect devices | ozone also

Post by doom_Oo7 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:37 pm

I wish they would open their API so that everybody could make Ableton-integrated plugs...
Ossia Score, an OSC sequencer for intermedia arts - http://www.ossia.io

jimdw

Post by jimdw » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:46 pm

3dot... wrote:
miekwave wrote:You can emulate a lot of Ozone 5 functions by creating your own custom Effects Rack

EFFECTS RACK - Set up Parallel effects chain in your Rack for each OZone function, and mix to taste

O Zone Harmonic Exciter can be emulated with Parallel (Wet Dry) Ableton OVERDRIVE and/or Ableton UTILITY+ SATURATOR effects (the Harmonic Exciter is basically a LPF signal processed with a waveform shaper to produce harmonics for lower ended notes.

OZONE MAXIMIZER can be emulated with Ableton UTILITY+ LIMITER or GLUE

STEREO IMAGEING can be emulated With 2 Ableton UTILITY Effects and EQ8 you need to config your A/B, Stereo or MS modes for "Stereo Width" effects.

etc
true... but the that's the thing with ozone... you don't need to recreate.. it's been done for you...
Ozone is an "all-in-one" approach to mastering..
where Waves/Ableton devices are "mix and match" style..
adding Waves plugins arsenal to the whole Ableton racks/chains scheme is where it's at for me..
intriguing. while i do like the idea of something that just works for mastering, i derive pleasure from a certain amount of geeking out and creating, tweaking device chains in live...as long as it doesn't overshadow my songwriting and production. what i'm not sure of is whether i have the skills to really create & use something that does what ozone does, and also whether the quality would be as good... is this a reasonable newbie undertaking? and can you elaborate on the process for what you mentioned or point me to any tutorials. i couldn't find anything.

thanks. j
MacBook Pro: Intel duoCore i7 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 7200 RPM HDD | OS X 10.6.8 | Live 9 Suite + M4L | APC 40 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 | Behringer ComposerPro MDX2200

jimdw

Post by jimdw » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:59 pm

3dot... wrote:
Fernando Carvalho wrote:Eq 8 is more than fine now, the comp is good and gate is much better now. The glue is suberb. Multiband dynamics works grate, I use it a lot.

If you want to add something, try the cheaper alternatives, cheaper but as good if not better than more expensive stuff like waves.

Personally I like toneboosters and klanghelm, they make outstanding effects for a fraction of what they deserve.

If you look for reverb and modulation, look to Valhalla too. Übermod is one of the craziest effect plugin ever made, it can be almost anything. His last reverb is something very special too, top lush reverbs like the old good times, in the box for 50 bucks. Amazing.
new eq8 and compressor are done by 'cytomic'...
some others done by 'softube'..
and some suite synths by AAS...
some by max/msp architects...

there are companies (like Cytomic.. Waves .. iZotope etc.) which specialize is DSP/research..
Ableton has outsourced audio effects development since Live7.... in stead they're focusing on the DAW side which is good imo...while integrating individually developed high class plugins
this is why it also makes sense to pick and choose when you're getting your plugins..(Ableton has been doing it for you in any case)
cool to know about ableton sourcing plugins out. i wan't familiar with cytomi but a quick search found a nice write up about glue. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/a ... e-glue.htm

on balance of what i'm hearing and reading it sounds like ableton's effects/dynmaics are actually quite good. though of course in keeping with the way things are these days there's a ton of other good stuff. i'll check out some of those you mentioned, Fernando. has anyone used massey stuff?

and what do people think about the idea of the waves signature series presets stuff? particularly the vocal one? has anyone used it? i'm going to check out the demo but i don't have a lot to compare it to and not sure how much i should trust my ears/skills yet to do a good A/B.

thanks,
j
MacBook Pro: Intel duoCore i7 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 7200 RPM HDD | OS X 10.6.8 | Live 9 Suite + M4L | APC 40 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 | Behringer ComposerPro MDX2200