USING ABLETON IN A LIVE ENVIRONMENT

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
walter_hum

USING ABLETON IN A LIVE ENVIRONMENT

Post by walter_hum » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:32 pm

*hi, Abelton Chaps & Chapettes.

I'm in an electronic band, well a duo actually.
We normally do our studio stuff within Logic and when it's completed we transfer our mixed-down stems over to Live for when we perform (the stems are 'clean' as they've had effects applied to them in Logic)

For our performances we run an APC40 (ALL volumes and effects are controlled here), a Push and live vocals running out of a Focusrite Scarlett 18i/6 soundcard.
What we've found is that everything is very murky/muddy...obviously acoustics will have an effect on the sound but, I don't think it's that.

Is there anything we can be doing to optimise the sound of our music live?
I've seen so many artists use Live and it's sounded mint...I'm literally at the end of my tether trying to workout what it is that's wrong.
Feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.

any help you could provide us with would be muchly appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

W. :( :( :x :evil: :twisted: :?: :?: :?:

xmonsta

Re: USING ABLETON IN A LIVE ENVIRONMENT

Post by xmonsta » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 pm

You could try complex pro warp settings, otherwise audio files sound grainy.

Also if youre tracks rely on lots of bass, you could remove some midrange around 200k by putting an eq on the master. There are some vst limiters that can enhance the high end of your tracks, to give some shine to the higher frequencies.
http://www.xmonsta.com Music devices and controllers for Ableton Live

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:29 am

Yeah, if you don't need to warp (ie, stems are at correct tempo already), then turn that off would be one thing.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:29 am

walter_hum wrote:
What we've found is that everything is very murky/muddy...obviously acoustics will have an effect on the sound but, I don't think it's that.

Is there anything we can be doing to optimise the sound of our music live?

W. :( :( :x :evil: :twisted: :?: :?: :?:
Are you suggesting that when you play the same 'stems' in Logic, that you don't get the murky/muddy sound?

Could it be that you have too many tracks with common mid-range frequencies playing all at once ?

sirvoice

Post by sirvoice » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:58 pm

How does it sound on a pair of monitors at home?

You could split the outs from live into different channels from your Scarlett (say bass, drums, vox, rest) and send that to the desk for a post EQ to help fit the room, which helps for me.

But other than that if it sounds good at home on decent monitors it should sound good on stage...

Check your low frequencies, reverbs.

Also, make sure the mixer/sound guy isn't putting any reverb/fx on any of your channels. Have had that problem once or twice. Muddy indeed.

And if it's a stereo out that it's going into stereo inputs, or panned appropriately.

Also low cut EQ your vox and live mics so your not getting much monitor feedback.... :wink:

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Complex Pro warping can have that effect sometimes from my experience. Makes everything less punctual and kinda grainy sounding. For this reason I avoid complex warping methods unless absolutely necessary. Using re-pitch or no warping at all is the most accurate representation, however this is no help if you are using varied BPMs and/or need to control the pitch.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Another question would be what (if any) effects are on your master? Perhaps all the stems are clean but you need something more at the end to bring it together...compression, limiting, eq'ing, etc. When I play live I find it sometimes needs that extra umpf comparatively since it is not a mastered track.