How Can I Delete Part of An Audio Track ?????????????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Ian G

How Can I Delete Part of An Audio Track ?????????????

Post by Ian G » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:11 pm

I am having problems trying to delete only part of an audio file (mic hiss at the start before vocals kick in) and also to adjust the volume on the same track in other sections as the vocals become more powerful?

I would appreciate any suggestions or guidance.

fishmonkey

Re: How Can I Delete Part of An Audio Track ?????????????

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:46 pm

you don't need to delete anything, you can use volume automation (either drawn or recorded)...

wascal

Post by wascal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Highlight the section of audio you want to delete, press cmd+e / ctrl+e to split the file, then delete it.
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

wascal

Post by wascal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Also, adjusting the levels of a vocal to make them more even is a job for a compressor. Google vocal compression ;)

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:27 pm

nope, i don't think that is good advice.

volume automation is a much better way of handling noise reduction than chopping bits out as it allows you to achieve a smoother result.

for vocal level control, volume automation will also allow you to do a better job than simply strapping a compressor over the vocal.

wascal

Post by wascal » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:41 pm

fishmonkey wrote:nope, i don't think that is good advice.

volume automation is a much better way of handling noise reduction than chopping bits out as it allows you to achieve a smoother result.

for vocal level control, volume automation will also allow you to do a better job than simply strapping a compressor over the vocal.
Fair enough, automation is a better approach. I was just answering the literal title of the thread ;)

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:23 am

fair enough. i just didn't want the OP to go away with the idea that a compressor is a quick fix for level issues. sometimes it might be just the ticket, but compressors also affect the quality of the sound in other ways, which might not be desirable.

Moosebear

Post by Moosebear » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:54 am

I must say, I've started recording vocals in Ableton and I love it for comping way better than Audacity but for things like this, trimming or editing audio, Ableton doesn't seem great. (Unless there's something I'm missing here?)

It's one thing that's making me consider Presonus Studio. Melodyne integrated. So much more you can do with audio than Ableton, no?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:06 am

Moosebear wrote:I must say, I've started recording vocals in Ableton and I love it for comping way better than Audacity but for things like this, trimming or editing audio, Ableton doesn't seem great. (Unless there's something I'm missing here?)

It's one thing that's making me consider Presonus Studio. Melodyne integrated. So much more you can do with audio than Ableton, no?
I am of a firm mind that you can never have a "one tool does it all". I have always used a seperate Wave editor to process vocals and live recordings. I use Live (or in the past Cubase/Nuendo) to record a live take to a backing track but then I will normally export the take and import into Wavelab. and apply an overall process such as gate/lowcut/noise notch etc to the entire file to make it sequencer ready. Then I slot it back in and there is nothing left to do other than the typical vocal effects.

If just a basic adjustment is required I will sometimes not even export at all. There isn't a concrete process.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:11 am

n/m

firsttimeroller

Post by firsttimeroller » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:30 am

If, in arrangement mode, you are not able to highlight part of a recorded audio clip and delete it by pressing only the DELETE key, check to see that you don't accidentally have the Automation Mode* button activated. When that button is "on" you have to split the clip first for some odd reason.

*The Automation Mode button is in the upper-right corner of Arrangement mode, to the left of the button that is a picture of a lock.

Good luck!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:37 am

firsttimeroller wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:30 am
If, in arrangement mode, you are not able to highlight part of a recorded audio clip and delete it by pressing only the DELETE key, check to see that you don't accidentally have the Automation Mode* button activated. When that button is "on" you have to split the clip first for some odd reason.

*The Automation Mode button is in the upper-right corner of Arrangement mode, to the left of the button that is a picture of a lock.

Good luck!
Pretty sure he managed to find some solution in the last 6 years :)

firsttimeroller

Post by firsttimeroller » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:43 am

[/quote]
Pretty sure he managed to find some solution in the last 6 years :)
[/quote]

Ha ha ha! True enough!