Operator tutorials???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJSK

Operator tutorials???

Post by DJSK » Thu May 12, 2005 10:32 am

I have been playing around with Operator and I have no idea what I am doing. The tutorials with Live are helpful but i really want to get a better understanding of what I am doing. I am pretty much a novice at producing and don't have much music experience except for DJing. Any one here have any advice, of how I should get started using the software. Maybe recommend a good instructional DVD or book? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hedroom

Post by Hedroom » Thu May 12, 2005 12:02 pm

The operator tutorial tells you pretty much all there is to know about FM synthesis. However, if you are new to synthesis it'd be well worth your while reading an article on subtractive synthesis. Most synthesizer manuals have one and I'm sure google will come up with a few things.

Othrwise, there's no substitute for messing around with synths. You'll never learn it all from books, you have to just get stuck in there.

DJSK

Post by DJSK » Fri May 13, 2005 5:43 am

Thanks for the tip. I will definately look into that. Also would anybody know of any other synthesizer programs that are good for beginners to work with???? Preferrably one that is compatible with Live???

MrSleep

Post by MrSleep » Sat May 14, 2005 12:13 am

Fundementally they all do the same thing., The only thing you need to figure out when picking up a different analogue synth is the routing configuration..

Some look very complex, like the semi modular designs that allow you to do some routing of your own., that sought of like what FM synthesis is but I wouldnt worry about all jazz right now..

I hope your on windoze cause, here are some of the best freeware analogue sounding synths that are also very easy to use.

Synth1 - is modeled on the NordLead2.., Meaning the configuration routing is the same, so if you know the Synth1 then you will feel right at home with NordLead2, but dont expect the sound pallete and texture to be the same... http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/soft ... .html#down

ASynth is another great sounding easy to use analogue beast.. and be sure to download Iblit which is on the same page with many other synths... http://www.freesoundeditor.com/incagene ... g.htm~main

Sometimes you just gotta say hay, do I want to make the guitar or play it?