New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Speaking of parameter lock: I'm really curious how it will be implemented for Push.
In Maschine there is only one option and that is hold down step, twidle knob and the parametr is set for that step.....and every step after that.
That's good for many parameters, but for some others and of course any stutter kind of implementation it's not perfect. I'd like a second option where the parameter is only altered for this one step, while the next step (step+1) has again the value of the step-1.
Achieving FX stutter in the Maschine step sequencer is live not possible (or very cumbersome, as you have to adjust step+1 (inaudibly) before setting the value on the step you wish)
Is this different on Push?

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Yes, I was waiting for this. So happy I did not buy Push. The flagship Maschine will be bought on the 1. of November.
Cool to see Maschine become finally really pro style.

tebers

Post by tebers » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:12 pm

for a beginner i think live 9.1 suite and push you will have a better deal. You will have more functionality but less fancy displays and gfx.
thought about selling my mk1 but with 99 for the update I will keep it and will use maschine as further controller...

Fugazi81

Post by Fugazi81 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:14 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Speaking of parameter lock: I'm really curious how it will be implemented for Push.
In Maschine there is only one option and that is hold down step, twidle knob and the parametr is set for that step.....and every step after that.
That's good for many parameters, but for some others and of course any stutter kind of implementation it's not perfect. I'd like a second option where the parameter is only altered for this one step, while the next step (step+1) has again the value of the step-1.
Achieving FX stutter in the Maschine step sequencer is live not possible (or very cumbersome, as you have to adjust step+1 (inaudibly) before setting the value on the step you wish)
Yes, the step automation works like you described.
You can choose one step on the grid or as many steps as you can push with one+ hand and set a parameter value for the selected step whilst all other unselected steps won´t be influenced + uselected steps trigger the parameter value before you tweaked a parameter.

The multi-step-edit-parameter-automation-feature for Push is way better than the step-by-step-edit automation in Maschine. Great for gate/stutter style effects 8)

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:19 pm

I've got Launchpad S, so don't need the 8x8 matrix. I have MKII, and the software upgrade is just $99; the feature set is enormous, and all the NI controllers will work with it (including MK I Mikro). The MKII remains an excellent controller for live, and the upgrade also gives new softsynths.... for me, the software upgrade is a no-brainer.

My take on it is that (aside from the software upgrade which, along with Live is all I'll ever need, I consider it to be kind of like Goldilocks and the three bears. The Maschine Studio is too hot (expensive, big, requires mains power), the Mikro is too cold (small and portable, but the interface is a bit awkward compared to the MKII), and the MKII is just right (bus powered, smaller than the Studio, even if one has to look at the computer screen once in awhile)

Along with live, this is going to be fantastic - I think NI and Ableton have hit it out of the ballpark, and the outfielders for the competition can only whine, complain, and look on with awe at the rapidly disappearing baseball.... :)

I won't need either Push or Maschine Studio, but if I were just starting out and had to choose one, it would be a very, very difficult choice....

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Fugazi81 wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Speaking of parameter lock: I'm really curious how it will be implemented for Push.
You can choose one step on the grid or as many steps as you can push with one+ hand and set a parameter value for the selected step whilst all other unselected steps won´t be influenced + uselected steps trigger the parameter value before you tweaked a parameter.

The multi-step-edit-parameter-automation-feature for Push is way better than the step-by-step-edit automation in Maschine. Great for gate/stutter style effects 8)
Wow, that makes me even more exited for......Push :-)

panten

Post by panten » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:41 pm

The only thing that has made me want this thing are the 2 shiny screens. MAN they make the crappy, character only, Push screen look like an ancient artefact.

Everything else looks the same only with a bit more wasted space.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:46 pm

What an amazing update 2.0 is turning out to be...

I'm especially excited about:

Built-in drumsynth
Unlimited groups and effects slots
Unlimited scenes
Unlimited plugins
Multicore support
Sidechain anything
MIDI import
Full MIDI CC implementation
Expanded MIDI ports (1 MIDI In, 3 MIDI Outs)
MIDI Program Change for VST/AU plug-in presets
Timeline arranger
Mixer page
Macros on all Sounds, Groups and Master
Improved looping
Cue bus

And curious about:
Improved step sequencer
New Pad Link concept
Improved sample mapping
Record Prepare mode
Pad view

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:59 pm

NI definitely went all out on the integration front with the Studio. They made sure you're never required to look at your computer at all.

Jed

Post by Jed » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Lol I think Id rather look at a PC screen to edit my midi than those tiny little maschine screens!

Does the new Maschine have scale functionality as Push does?

Cheers
Jed

panten

Post by panten » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:47 pm

One thing that I've noticed is that selecting and editing MIDI notes using a controller is far less fun and more time consuming than it is with a mouse.

Still, having the option while zoning out would be nice.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:59 pm

panten wrote:One thing that I've noticed is that selecting and editing MIDI notes using a controller is far less fun and more time consuming than it is with a mouse.
Maybe it is with Push but it's super quick and easy with Maschine which has a dedicated Select button that lets you instantly select and unselect notes and range events for single or multiple sounds. It just becomes muscle memory. Maschine Studio is probably combining that with a jog wheel for an even more improved workflow.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:33 am

I'm curious. What's the procedure on Maschine for selecting multiple ranges then editing their note length/position/velocities etc?

Btw, welcome back delicious. Haven't heard much from you since that other, very lengthy Maschine thread :p

deva

Post by deva » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:57 am

TomViolenz wrote:
Fugazi81 wrote:

Wow, that makes me even more exited for......Push :-)
Yeah, the new melodic step sequencer in Push is sweet... btw, it can be up to 64 steps, not just 32

And yeah, as Fugazi said, the automation works as you were suggesting. Hold a step(s) and tweak the parameter you want and it affects only the step(s) you are holding so it is easy to accent only a couple steps. The held steps do not have to be continuous. It is a pleasure to use!

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:04 am

panten wrote:I'm curious. What's the procedure on Maschine for selecting multiple ranges then editing their note length/position/velocities etc?
With the events selected (can be from multiple pads) hold Select and turn the Swing knob to move the notes along your grid (or no grid). Use Tempo knob to change pitch and Volume knob for velocity. You can also use the Nudge buttons and you can also transpose notes up and down by semitones or octaves using the pads. The knobs under the right display also let you edit velocity and note length.