New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Geek Model

Re: New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Post by Geek Model » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:23 pm

What about Stereo Outputs? Still 16 stereo channels?

onestep

Post by onestep » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:18 am

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:22 am

I'm most excited about the five new built-in drumsynths than anything else, out of all the features that we already know of.

Sounds like there's still a bunch of stuff we don't know about yet. One of the beta testers revealed that you can now apply swing to note repeat.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:20 am

deva wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
Fugazi81 wrote:
Yes, the step automation works like you described.
You can choose one step on the grid or as many steps as you can push with one+ hand and set a parameter value for the selected step whilst all other unselected steps won´t be influenced + uselected steps trigger the parameter value before you tweaked a parameter.

The multi-step-edit-parameter-automation-feature for Push is way better than the step-by-step-edit automation in Maschine. Great for gate/stutter style effects 8)
Wow, that makes me even more exited for......Push :-)
Yeah, the new melodic step sequencer in Push is sweet... btw, it can be up to 64 steps, not just 32

And yeah, as Fugazi said, the automation works as you were suggesting. Hold a step(s) and tweak the parameter you want and it affects only the step(s) you are holding so it is easy to accent only a couple steps. The held steps do not have to be continuous. It is a pleasure to use!
One more question regarding the Push step sequencer: Does it conform to Groove and Swing, even if what is stepped are not notes but parameters of a long note?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm gonna spring for the 2.0 update first but I think I'm gonna have to upgrade to the Studio as well. It's just too damn sexy to resist!

Last edited by delicioso on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:14 pm

deva wrote:Yeah, the new melodic step sequencer in Push is sweet... btw, it can be up to 64 steps, not just 32
Maschine's step sequencer can already sequence melodies, and it can be up to 128 steps.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:33 pm

delicioso wrote:
deva wrote:Yeah, the new melodic step sequencer in Push is sweet... btw, it can be up to 64 steps, not just 32
Maschine's step sequencer can already sequence melodies, and it can be up to 128 steps.
Well having 64 buttons for the 64 steps is quite different than having 16 buttons for 128 steps I would think ;-)

And I'm pretty sure deva was aware of Maschines melodic step sequencer.
He was just pointing out that Push will soon have one too and that this last reason (along with parameter lock) of Maschines step sequencer being better is therefore disappearing.

deva

Post by deva » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:42 pm

delicioso wrote:
and with 128 steps and even only 6 pitches played that is 768 possible note positions to be played on only 16 pads... completely unwieldy...

hell, even with the 64 pads on Push, 128 steps would be clumsy (I figured out how to do 128, 256 etc). At that point it is simply much easier just to use the computer screen and mouse (or work with smaller clips).

btw, the Maschine 2.0 software looks like a big step forward and well worth the price. I would be really excited were I a Maschine user. And Maschine has lots of things it does better than Push (they are really different tools)... but sequencing melodies is not one of them. Sorry to break the news, but 64 pads is an overwhelming advantage for that purpose.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:13 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
delicioso wrote:
Well having 64 buttons for the 64 steps is quite different than having 16 buttons for 128 steps I would think ;-)
Nope. Unfortunately the way Ableton implemented it seems to only allow for seeing only 8 steps at a time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QbI89ZwRs

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:34 pm

deva wrote:And Maschine has lots of things it does better than Push (they are really different tools)... but sequencing melodies is not one of them. Sorry to break the news, but 64 pads is an overwhelming advantage for that purpose.
I use a regular keyboard for sequencing melodies with Maschine just fine. Sorry but there's no advantage for me to use pads on a 8x8 grid to do that.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:35 pm

I don't see the point in comparing step sequencers when this isn't a thread about Push.

As for the differences. The current Push step is similar to the entirety of Maschine's, except Maschine requires fiddling or jumping between pad layouts to change instrument and section selection.

Push's melodic sequencer will be different in that it will allow you to draw out multiple notes on one grid, as opposed to one note in repetitions on the timeline.

Still, this isn't really a thread to be talking about Push's step sequencer. Just thought I'd discern the absolute differences. Not necessarily any actual 'advantages'

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:41 pm

delicioso wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
delicioso wrote: Maschine's step sequencer can already sequence melodies, and it can be up to 128 steps.
Nope. Unfortunately the way Ableton implemented it seems to only allow for seeing only 8 steps at a time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QbI89ZwRs
It seems we are talking about different things here: The (general)step sequencer has 64 steps now (compared to 16 in Maschine).
The melodic step sequencer implementation in Push seems to use 8 steps at the same time only, but with the immediate possibility to access 8 notes at each step. I had not seen this before (thanks for the video btw.), but I think this is a very sensible implementation.
Inputing melodies in the Maschine step sequencer was for me always reduced to first entering a note at the root note per step and then change this note with the Pitch knob while holding down each single step.
Unless I missed a different way to enter melodies into the Maschine step sequencer, the Push one seems vastly superior.
But we may be getting too far off topic here, sorry!

deva

Post by deva » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:52 pm

delicioso wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
You can use the drum sequencer for melodies too if you prefer... and no doubt someone will hack it in no time to offer alternative layouts... However, I like having more than one pitch available at a time. I realize with your limited tools that is just not something you can imagine... hehehe

deva

Post by deva » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:58 pm

delicioso wrote:
deva wrote:And Maschine has lots of things it does better than Push (they are really different tools)... but sequencing melodies is not one of them. Sorry to break the news, but 64 pads is an overwhelming advantage for that purpose.
I use a regular keyboard for sequencing melodies with Maschine just fine. Sorry but there's no advantage for me to use pads on a 8x8 grid to do that.
See that is the thing with Maschine... it is never quite good enough. It is almost a host, but not quite, so you need a real host like Live. It is almost a midi controller, but not quite so you need a regular keyboard as well. Poor Maschine... it is like the little engine that couldn't quite...

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 pm

:roll:

Anyway...

More detailed info about Maschine 2.0 are starting to come out, especially the drum synths:

"Kick Plug-In Each of the kick plug-in’s eight sound engines delivers unique, powerful low end. Three engines are based on classic analog machines made famous over thirty years of electronic music. They deliver sounds fat and punchy to deep and dusty, and everything in between.

Snare Plug-In The snare plug-in features nine different sound engines. Create any imaginable electronic snare – the snare plug-in does thin, harsh, bold, deep, and filtered with equal ease. Acoustic-like sounds are the sonic wonders of this plug-in – recreate not only the sound of real snare drums, but also completely change their character and tuning with the turn of a knob.

Hi-Hat Plug-In Get classic analog hi-hats, digital, robotic sounds from a complex oscillator, or ultra-modern synthesis from Fast Fourier Transform data of analyzed and reconstructed hi-hat samples. This data gives you ultra-powerful synthesis without having to use samples at any stage of sound production. And quick tweaks deliver other percussion possibilities outside the range of simple hi-hat sounds for endless versatility.

Tom Plug-In Three tom engines let you intuitively craft a full set of toms fast. Digital sounds from percussive to bell-like to completely alien. And acoustic sounds so warm and fat you won’t believe they’re not samples. Added control over pitch bend and mute parameters give you a flexible set of sounds that are ultra-intuitive to create.

Percussion Plug-In The percussion plug-in features three sound engines and a world of possibility. Design any additional percussion your project needs from bell-like and metallic to sub-like and twisted with one engine. A second engine is dedicated to shaker and maraca sounds. The third is capable of rich, orchestral timpani sounds ready to add big symphonic percussion to any production."

"And new 8-point sample interpolation is twice as accurate as MASCHINE 1, delivering incredible sample quality"