New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deva

Re: New Maschine Studio and Maschine 2.0 Update

Post by deva » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:13 am

delicioso wrote:
panten wrote:One thing that I've noticed is that selecting and editing MIDI notes using a controller is far less fun and more time consuming than it is with a mouse.
Maybe it is with Push but it's super quick and easy with Maschine which has a dedicated Select button that lets you instantly select and unselect notes and range events for single or multiple sounds. It just becomes muscle memory. Maschine Studio is probably combining that with a jog wheel for an even more improved workflow.
I like that... instantly... with zero time passing it automatically knows exactly which notes you want and selects them...

But seriously... Maschine is likely faster than Push. However, I tend to agree with Panten that nothing beats my nice big screen and mouse for midi editing.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:14 am

$999 for the ability to look at a much more tinier screen than your laptop...? I really think the best value for money is to buy a used MK 1 and then upgrade for $99 to 2.0

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 am

That's what I'll do. My maschine controller works fine. I don't really like the integration between live and maschine personally, but it works.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:17 am

deva wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:
Fugazi81 wrote:
Yes, the step automation works like you described.
You can choose one step on the grid or as many steps as you can push with one+ hand and set a parameter value for the selected step whilst all other unselected steps won´t be influenced + uselected steps trigger the parameter value before you tweaked a parameter.

The multi-step-edit-parameter-automation-feature for Push is way better than the step-by-step-edit automation in Maschine. Great for gate/stutter style effects 8)
Wow, that makes me even more exited for......Push :-)
Yeah, the new melodic step sequencer in Push is sweet... btw, it can be up to 64 steps, not just 32

And yeah, as Fugazi said, the automation works as you were suggesting. Hold a step(s) and tweak the parameter you want and it affects only the step(s) you are holding so it is easy to accent only a couple steps. The held steps do not have to be continuous. It is a pleasure to use!
Affecting non-consecutive steps, 64 Steps...it just keeps on getting better :-)

But I think I will stay with the 32 Step layout because having the loop selection immediately accessible is really useful. Or can you rearrange the layout so that you have 56 Steps on top and the last row of 8 is reserved for the loop or sound selection? (Probably not, huh?!)
But then 64 steps in 16th is already 8 bars...Hm..

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:13 am

Really, what companies like Apple (and NI and Ableton and..) try to do is trick us into thinking we HAVE to buy their latest stuff, otherwise we'll not be up to date anymore but old without friends and will die soon.Think about it, there's more truth to that kind of psychology than you might think.I'd bet at least 20-30 % of iphone buyers would buy the next gen model solely on the fact it is NEW, even if it had no new features, just because they'd think they'd miss out somehow.Truth is, NOBODY needs a Maschine Studio; if you have any kind of Maschine model and haven't come up with something decent yet, no hardware will ever change that.You already have everything you need.

Alaghast

Post by Alaghast » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am

I'm asking if NI will make a crossgrade price for that..

999€ is quite expensive.. No?

slugwared

Post by slugwared » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 am

beatz01 wrote:Really, what companies like Apple (and NI and Ableton and..) try to do is trick us into thinking we HAVE to buy their latest stuff, otherwise we'll not be up to date anymore but old without friends and will die soon.Think about it, there's more truth to that kind of psychology than you might think.I'd bet at least 20-30 % of iphone buyers would buy the next gen model solely on the fact it is NEW, even if it had no new features, just because they'd think they'd miss out somehow.Truth is, NOBODY needs a Maschine Studio; if you have any kind of Maschine model and haven't come up with something decent yet, no hardware will ever change that.You already have everything you need.

this.

kirillov

Post by kirillov » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:22 am

for me, NI missed the next big step:
if it was standalone (with cpu/ memory/ audiointerface)
I would buy it for shure! it would be the most amazing groovebox out there.
why dont they try to compete with elektron or the real mpcs?
it would all fit in that big controller...

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:07 pm

Jed wrote:Lol I think Id rather look at a PC screen to edit my midi than those tiny little maschine screens!

Cheers
Jed
:)

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:58 pm

NI not only made the software upgrade affordable at $99 for those who already have Maschine, but makes sure it is compatible all the way back to Maschine I. If you don't have Maschine I, the hardware and the software is a great improvement, and the price will come down with time. But the MK2 versions are still available new , only now with the new software,

Maschine 2.0 has a wealth of new features for those of us that own the MK2 - and it is obvious that NI has worked hard on both the software and the hardware. For me, I am delighted with the $99 upgrade, and if I wanted an in house studio (and didn't already have Mk2, I would jump on Studio in a NY second (Studio is big and requires mains for power).

And I definitely want to keep my audio separate from Maschine, since I need a computer anyway, but might want to use different audio interfaces for different projects....

slugwared wrote:
beatz01 wrote:Really, what companies like Apple (and NI and Ableton and..) try to do is trick us into thinking we HAVE to buy their latest stuff, otherwise we'll not be up to date anymore but old without friends and will die soon.Think about it, there's more truth to that kind of psychology than you might think.I'd bet at least 20-30 % of iphone buyers would buy the next gen model solely on the fact it is NEW, even if it had no new features, just because they'd think they'd miss out somehow.Truth is, NOBODY needs a Maschine Studio; if you have any kind of Maschine model and haven't come up with something decent yet, no hardware will ever change that.You already have everything you need.

this.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:57 pm

In a way I think NI is worse (better?) than Apple. With Mashine mkII they added multi-color buttons which I’m sure is very helpful for some producers and performers. This new thing also added color touch displays and whatever that giant jog wheel is for. These aren’t just minor spec bumps like Apple does with their hardware. Most of the wow factor is in the system software which can be installed on several past generations of Apple’s hardware.

Also with Apple hardware you can probably find uses for having multiple computers or idevices. When you get new NI hardware it just makes the previous version old, lacking, and redundant except for the few people who may want one piece for their studio and one for performing. But again, one of those won’t be full featured compared to the latest version.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:42 pm

I am very excited about he Maschine 2.0 software. I love Live but if they get the software right I will be doing all of my music in Maschine only.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm curious about how flexible they might make 2.0 for their own upgrading possibilities. If there happened to be a popular feature request, I'm wondering of it'd be easier to integrate, now that they've completely regained their environment.

I can see how having to have dealt with their 1.0 environment would have given them limitations.

I'm proud of NI for their latest progression towards a unique near-DAW. Oddly enough, one without the typical waveforms on channels layout haha

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Live + a Launchpad S and Launchpad 95 gets you an 8/8 matrix, and Maschine 1.8 integrates really nicely with LIve as a control surface for almost anything else. And who knows what Maschine 2.0 will bring in that respect? (The guys at NI are not exactly unaware that Live and Maschine are often used together...)

(I have a Maschine MkII, and that's all I need, since I have a gorgeous computer screen (In fact, two of them; I can run Live on one and Machine VST on the other....

Having both is kind of like having two guitars....
TomViolenz wrote: Oh, I totally get that :-)

But just for ONE example why I think Push is not obsolete: The 64 pads!
It gives you a 32 step sequencer (16 Maschine) PLUS the 16 button grid selection to choose which section of your clip is selected in the step sequencer PLUS immediate access on 16 more buttons to the sounds on that track! The step sequencing fluidity possible on Push is unparalleled in Maschine! AND you can play the 16 pads and step-sequence at the same time!
Playing with Push in the store (no I don't have it yet) gave me serious GAS and got me to start saving up. I see nothing in the new hardware of Maschine that could trigger the same effect in me. (certainly not for 1 000 €!)
Same for the software compared to Live: It's great and longed for by me (I will definitely by it!), but it's no rival to Live!

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:54 pm

I have Live 9, PUSH and MAschine mk2. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a Maschine Studio but at $1000, I don't think I'll be adopting early. I am, however, super psyched about the 2.0 update! From what I've read it should satisfy quite a few of my gripes about the soft-ware. Side-chain, un-limited groups FTW!

It's kinda shitty that NI is charging long-time users $100 for the update but you'll have that I guess. I'm not too worried about it. Programmers gotsta get paid too!!!!

I also just got the new Bass Station 2 so my GAS is satisfied for the near future.

But damn, that STudio is hella sexy!!